Menu

Would you take this child to church?

7yo was very unwell yesterday. He was in bed or on the sofa literally all day. This is a kid who normally has boundless energy, and he lay down drifting in and out of sleep all day. All he ate the entire day was one bite of noodles at lunch and for dinner an egg, a piece of bacon, and a pancake. He had a low grade fever and bad headache all day.

Today he's had a bit more energy - enough to sit up at the computer playing for about a half hour. And he did manage to stay awake all day; he spent the day listening to me read and watching videos. He didn't have a fever today, but did have a bad sore throat and a dry cough. All he's eaten today is bread and butter for lunch and a bite of a quesadilla for dinner.

I know that if ds wakes up with even a little bit of energy, dh will want me to take him to church. But honestly, with the way ds has been the past two days, I think he should stay home and rest tomorrow.

So what would you do? Would you consider taking ds to church if he seems like he's feeling better or would you keep him home no matter what? BTW, church is an hour away, so I can't very well make a decision at the last minute or take him on the condition that if he starts to feel bad we go home early.

Thanks, ladies. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being over-protective or anything. Unfortunately, we were planning on going to see Narnia at the cinema after church for ds's special birthday outing (he just turned 7 on Thursday). Hope it's still showing next weekend.

No. When our kids are sick, they are prescribed rest. I'm in charge of that, and I let my husband know when someone needs to stay home from church. We take turns keeping them home, and sometimes my mother will volunteer to stay home with them. We aren't the type to stay out for every little thing, so it doesn't happen more than 2-3 times a year.

Either way, in regard to church attendance, faithfulness and "perfect attendance records" aren't interchangeable terms. Don't feel pressured to show up every time the doors open if it isn't in the best interest of you or your family for some reason.

I know that if ds wakes up with even a little bit of energy, dh will want me to take him to church. But honestly, with the way ds has been the past two days, I think he should stay home and rest tomorrow.

So what would you do? Would you consider taking ds to church if he seems like he's feeling better or would you keep him home no matter what?

As you did ask "what would you do" - I would strongly suggest to my husband that he stay home, but I would take him if that was the final decision from dh.

(in all likelihood, my dh would take my suggestion as I'm the one who tends to know more about 'kid sickness')

I hope your little guy gets feeling 100% soon! :)

Update: I assumed that dh would want ds to go to church today if he was feeling better because that's his usual response. But last night when I was going to bed, I said that I thought we should stay home. Dh actually totally agreed. I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for all the responses, though.