Menu

MEP Reception or another math suggestion

Amirah

hi i was just wondering about MEP Reception ? could this be done with a 2 1/2 yr old or 3yr old? i know of someone using it for there really young one but am not sure it would be too much or not. any other suggestions for a mathy kinda program for a toddler. i am new to homeschooling so i make be way ahead of myself

You could do some of the MEP Reception activities with a young preschooler but many others require fine motor skills that are more typical of a 4 or 5 y.o.

Personally, I'd wait on MEP Reception and just do informal "hands-on" activities such as those from Family Math for Young Children and Math Play! 80 Ways to Count and Learn.

I have also heard good things about this book for the Cuisenaire rods but I have no personal experience with it.

Funtastic Frogs series is supposed to be good as well, but again I have no personal experience with it.

That's pretty young for a book; I think MEP Reception is for 4-5 years old. How about some ideas from Hubbard's Cupboard preschool curriculum? (Shapes, classifying objects, counting, bigger/smaller, colors, measuring.) You might look at Ruth Beechick's book (The 3 R's I believe). The book Family Math has some suggestions for little ones too. Also check out Living Math.

I would recommend the concepts of math in real life / with real objects. Ya'know: which of these cups do you think holds more? Uncle Joe is coming for dinner, how many plates do we need to set out? How many pieces should we divide the pie into? There are 6 cookies and 3 people, how many do we each get? Sort things by size, color, shape, - let the child sort then tell you how they did it. Order things (cups, toys, etc) by size, weight, shape.

Amy

Some of the concepts taught in the Reception level might be okay for an advanced 2 1/2-3yo but the puzzles and fine motor skills necessary would most likely make it too difficult. My 4.5yo ds is great with puzzles, loves to build, and taught himself to do simple addition and subtraction, and he is still being challenged by the puzzles in the Reception level. He may have been able to do it a little sooner, but not too much. I agree with the others to simply play math games, talk about math in everyday life, and read living math books.

Seconding the idea that while you may get some good ideas for activities from MEP's reception program, that seems really young to have a formal math program.

We liked math picture books at that age. I think that some of those Tana Hoban math picture books are really good at that age - we especially liked More, Fewer, Less but she has a bunch that are also for geometry dealing with shapes. Also, Greg Tang's Math Fables series is for preschoolers about number sense. Plus the Stuart J. Murphy level 1 mathstart books.

We had a set of counting blocks that were a bit like big, chunky Cuisenaire rods at that age that the kids really liked. And you can do some fun abacus games at that age. There's a Cuisenaire rods book about the alphabet and the rods as well that's cute at that age - I'm not sure if it's in print or not anymore though. And, of course, pattern tiles are fun at that age.

Oh, and that's around the age that my boys really enjoyed the game Bzz Out, which helps teach numbers and greater than less than. It needs three players to work, but it sounds like you've got that.