Menu

Grammar Question Bugging Me

I would put "games" as the subject and "follow" as the verb. On a slanted line under games I would but the adjective "Doubles" and under follow I would put a slanted line with "of" attached to a horizontal line with the object of the preposition "rules." The I would put two separate slanted lines beneath rules with "these" and most" on them.

After I typed that it didn't seem right. It seems like "follow" is a transitive verb with the direct object "rules." But that ignores the preposition of.

Now I'm confused.:confused::D

Right!

Doubles games follow most of these rules.

I'd have games as the subject, follow as the predicate, and rules as the object, if it weren't part of a prep. phrase. Now, it does appear to me that a prep. phrase can serve the function of a direct object, so maybe that's why "most" can modify "rules"?

I think most is a pronoun in that sentence and is the direct object. I'm no grammar expert, but I diagram it with games as the subject, doubles on a slanted line under games, follow as the verb, most as a direct object, of as a preposition under most, rules as the object of the proposition, and these as the adjective modifying rules. But I could be wrong.

I think most is a pronoun in that sentence and is the direct object. I'm no grammar expert, but I diagram it with games as the subject, doubles on a slanted line under games, follow as the verb, most as a direct object, of as a preposition under most, rules as the object of the proposition, and these as the adjective modifying rules. But I could be wrong.

This was my second thought, but I've never heard of most being used as a pronoun.

I can't find any backing for using it as a pronoun. I'm at my tutoring job right now, and this sentence was in an exercise about identifying adjectives. The teacher's manual did NOT include it as an adjective, and this wild goose chase is an effort to explain *why*. I'm increasingly convinced that the TM was wrong.

Most is listed on the indefinite pronoun list in Analytical Grammar.

Here's an example...

Twelve boys are in the math class. Most are getting an 'A' in the class.

You could say, 'Most boys are getting an 'A' in the class,' but it would be redundant after the previous sentence.

Here's another website with it listed as a pronoun:

http://www.esldesk.com/vocabulary/pronouns

And another:

http://www.english-grammar-revolution.com/list-of-pronouns.html

Megan is right - it is an indefinite pronoun.

:iagree: Just chiming in to agree that the word "most" is an indefinite pronoun, and it is used as the direct object of this sentence.