Menu

CLE Languge Arts Grade 1vs FLL

tuzor

I have been thinking that I would use FLL but I am concered that it will be too repetitive. My son does very well with workbooks. So I wanted and program that will start introducing him to grammar. What do you guys think of the Sunrise 2nd Edition from CLP. I like R&S but they don't have grammar for grade 1.

i'm using FLL 1/2 this year with my 6 year old. it is very gentle. next year i am switching to CLE, but we'll actually start in grade 1 (not necessary, just best for my son). FLL is not a comprehensive program, but just gently introduces grammar. CLE covers penmanship, some writing, spelling, grammar, etc. it's more of a "complete" program. so it really just depends on what you're looking for. if your son doesn't do well with repetition though, i'd say FLL at this level would be a poor choice. hth.

We're doing CLE LA partly because I was worried FLL was too oral and too repetitive. However, I've never actually used FLL and it seems to get rave reviews, so I'm sure it's great as well. We've really enjoyed CLE. DD can do it independently with brief instruction. She seems to retain it well for the most part. It's nice to be able to hand her something to do on her own since we spend a lot of time with read alouds that require me.

I like R&S but they don't have grammar for grade 1.

I ran into this too. I ended up using R&S English 2 for my first grader. ;) Honestly, if you're doing it orally (as I am doing), it's pretty easy... at least so far. We're only 2 weeks in (10 lessons). But it's been very easy for him to understand. I've looked ahead, and I see nothing that my first grader wouldn't be able to handle. It's very, very gentle.

I'm thinking I'll probably use FLL2 next year. I just didn't feel like *I* could go through FLL1 this year... so many lessons on what a noun is. Though I may use it for a future child when I get over myself. :lol: I can see the repetition being GOOD for a child, and the child is who needs to learn that stuff, not me. I already know it, hence why it's so boring to me!

So anyway, R&S doesn't have to be totally out, if you like it. I think it's fine for a first grader if done orally, and it's very easy to do orally. I had originally been thinking I'd do CLE LA 100, but I'm now glad I didn't, because my son has issues with too much writing, and that would have been too much writing. We're doing better with our grammar being oral, saving the writing for math, WWE, and copywork (handwriting). We're slowly working up to writing more. My son loves workbooks, but only when they're within his writing quota for the day. ;)

Good luck with your decision! I loved aspects of all 3, and that was a really hard decision to make! As far as what the child learns, you can't go wrong with any of them. It's all a matter of oral vs. writing, workbook vs. textbook, etc.

Thanks for the replies.

Boscopup my son is hates writing as well. My plan is to gently increase his writing this semester. Also I don't have a problem reducing the amount of work for him.

staceyobu its good to hear from someone who is using the program. Agian thanks.

We are actually using both. The FLL is simple and quick as far as verbal lessons go and the repetitive nature is great for helping my ds retain information. We do not do all of the suggested writing/copywork because he writes plenty with CLE LA, ETC and various other assignments.

I used FLL with my older two and really enjoyed it, but my current k'er is just not an auditory learner. Well, she's doing fine with it, but it's a struggle where it was sooo easy and enjoyable with the others. She really needs to DO something for her work to be pleasant. That said, I might combine them. I LOVE that my 3rd and 5th graders have all the parts of speech definitions and prepositions, state of being verbs, etc. memorized. It has been so helpful and useful to them. I just can't skip that for this child. In addition, she likes to write much more than the other two did at the same age.