Menu

20th century US history for elementary?

happypamama

My children have done well with Marshall's TCOO (we read aloud, so I do edit some), but it ends during WWI. I'm not really liking anything I've found so far that covers US history from WWI through the present. SOTW4 looks okay, but I really want something more US-focused right now. I was unimpressed with Hakim. I think A Child's Story of America might be okay, but it looks like I will need to do some serious editing, and it sounds like it's overly biased toward the conservative side.

What I really want is something that will provide the very basic context -- major wars, Presidents, what was affecting the American people (Depression, Cold War, etc.), so that we can then add in supplemental books, look at clothing, listen to music from various decades, etc. It's sounding like I am going to have to create this framework myself. :)

:iagree:, this is what I have finally settled on. Unless Notgrass has The American History for Middle School done by then. Also check out Guest Hollow for extras to add and Homeschool In The Woods. Wanted to add that HSITW only has through the depression complete right now but they are working on the rest.

It's hard to do 20th century limited to the US - have you thought about augmenting using fiction primarily? There is so much out there, especially for 20th century and it might be very engaging for your kids. I have found some of the really sensitive issues of the 20th century (Holocaust, racism etc) have been dealt with age-appropriately in good fiction and, by making it personal, the kids get a great perspective on complex topics, and really start to think about deeper issues.

It's hard to do 20th century limited to the US - have you thought about augmenting using fiction primarily? There is so much out there, especially for 20th century and it might be very engaging for your kids. I have found some of the really sensitive issues of the 20th century (Holocaust, racism etc) have been dealt with age-appropriately in good fiction and, by making it personal, the kids get a great perspective on complex topics, and really start to think about deeper issues.

That's pretty much what I was planning to do, lots of fiction and other smaller supplemental books. I was just hoping there would be some good resource out there with a basic framework, but maybe it won't matter so much if there isn't. I'm not opposed to learning about the US's connections with other countries, but I was hoping to avoid overwhelming them with a lot of talk about the rest of the world at this point. Maybe a few selected chapters from SOTW4 will provide enough general context. Thanks, other posters, for the other suggestions too -- will have to check those out. :)