Menu

which is the 'easiest' standardized test that can be administered at home?

I have a friend who just started hs-ing this year, and her son (3rd grade) needs to take a standardized test for state requirements. She's VERY nervous that her son won't do well (I think he'll do fine) as he's behind in some subject areas. She wanted to know what is the EASIEST standardized test that she can administer at home (and I know this is probably a subjective question)--I think there's CAT, ITBS and PASS, right? I could not answer her question-can anyone help? I was thinking, all the tests are weighted, right? So perhaps even if one of the tests is "harder "it's probably weighted differently?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. The ITBS is "middle of the road" in terms of difficulty, correct?

And would she take the "3rd grade test" at the end of third grade? Or the 4th grade test, since that's the grade he's going into (sorry for all the questions, we've never tested!! LOL)

I have a friend who just started hs-ing this year, and her son (3rd grade) needs to take a standardized test for state requirements. She's VERY nervous that her son won't do well (I think he'll do fine) as he's behind in some subject areas. She wanted to know what is the EASIEST standardized test that she can administer at home (and I know this is probably a subjective question)--I think there's CAT, ITBS and PASS, right? I could not answer her question-can anyone help? I was thinking, all the tests are weighted, right? So perhaps even if one of the tests is "harder "it's probably weighted differently?

Thanks!

https://www.familylearning.org/tests_basi.php

We used the CAT5 the first time and the tess was very stressful, because it took so long. This one is fast and (in ds's opinion) easier.

I would suggest that your friend's child take the TAKS exam for practice.

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index3.aspx?id=44&menu_id=793

The results can't be used to meet her state's requirements, but to help the child get familiar with the style of questions.

Spectrum has standardized test practice workbooks. They are sold at most major bookstores.

We have taken the ITBS, but I don't have anything to compare it to. It did take much longer than I anticipated, but I was pleased with DS's results. I didn't do any practice or prep work before DS took the ITBS. Since then, I have spent 1/2 day, one day a month, on practice test taking.

Thanks everyone, that's what I thought. The ITBS is "middle of the road" in terms of difficulty, correct?

And would she take the "3rd grade test" at the end of third grade? Or the 4th grade test, since that's the grade he's going into (sorry for all the questions, we've never tested!! LOL)

Oh, it would be the 3rd grade test. It's to make sure they learned what they were supposed to in order to pass the grade ;)

The PASS test is not accepted across the board. I was under the impression that it was not nationally standardized, but I'm **not** positive that is the reason. I know it did not meet Colorado state law for testing. Some districts accepted it anyway; others did not.

My kids have taken the ITBS a few times. It was convenient at the time; it was also expensive, about $50 each.

Last year, they did the CAT-E. My goal was to meet state requirements as cheaply as possible. It was $25 per test, anyone could give it (I couldn't give ITBS), it was a short and fast test to take. I would have given it over two days, but my kids opted to take it all at one sitting. I also appreciated the super-fast turnaround for scoring, as I procrastinated and was close to my state's deadline. We'll definitely choose CAT-E in the future, unless our needs change for some reason.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking
Adding that **not**. It's an important distinction!

The PASS test is not accepted across the board.

You're right, it is not--and, frankly, it shouldn't be. It is not the best test in the world. It is extremely old for one thing. Check out Buros Institute of Mental Measurements for more information. They have two reviews of the PASS test.

If she's doing this for state requirements, make sure the test she chooses will meet those. For instance, in GA, PASS does *not* qualify. If I were going for the absolute easiest for both of them (and most likely to fulfill the requirements), CAT would be my suggestion.