Menu

Does anyone dry brush their skin?

I use a Clarisonic, which is like a Sonicare for the face with a brush head. My skin has never looked better!

I want one of those. :)

I dry body brush with a loofah pretty much every single morning. My parents do this also. My dh as well. Now and again, I force my dc ... they think I'm out of my mind. :lol: I do it either before showering OR before working out - whichever comes first. I have noticed many benefits - ranging from cleared sinuses, more energy, better-looking skin ... and on it goes. I used to sweat excessively. No more.

I have a ton of info on the lymphatic system (so very, very important for overall health).

For now, I'll just include the info on dry body brushing. It's one of the few methods of clearing up the lymphatic system, which is so often overlooked.

http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/HealingTechniques/Dry_Brushing_Technique.htm

• Helps to expel toxins from the body’s largest eliminatory organ, the skin

• Improves lymph flow to carry toxins and waste products out of the body

• Stimulates circulation

• Stimulates blood flow to increase nutrient delivery to cells

• Helps combat cellulite and fatty deposits

• Removes dry, dead skin cells

• Encourages cells to regenerate

• Results in smooth glowing skin

• Stimulates production of sebum (oil), to nourish dry skin

• Increases energy and stimulates the body – I LOVE doing this first thing in the morning either before showering OR before exercising, whichever comes first :D

• Feels great!

Technique

The lymph-rich areas you want to stimulate include the arms, armpits, chest, face, neck, behind the knees, and towards the groin.

Always brush towards the heart.

Use circular or long sweeping motions – whatever feels right to you.

Start with the soles of your feet and work your way up.

Overall it should take between 3-7 minutes to brush the entire body. I don't do the entire body every single day. I tend to alternate between the lower and upper body. That's just what I prefer doing.

• 2 weeks later...
Is it really effective with the lymphatic system/drainage?

Yes, I believe it is, if done regularly and consistently.

My dd has eczema and I was thinking about getting a very soft brush to do this for her. Would this work? Would it help any or would it just irritate her skin? Before a bath and then rub down with lotion after a bath?

Maybe - only if it's super-gentle. I'm not too familiar with eczema.

Here's the info I have:

Peela wrote this:

All skin conditions (except an outright rash related to poison ivy sort of thing) originate from an internal condition, especially relating to the liver. The liver is our detoxifier, and if it struggles, toxins are expressed through the skin (that is a simplification but generally true). In naturopathy, you go to the liver and help it along if you want to deal with skin issues.

Considering all the trans fats and chemicals in our modern diet, (and how they affect the liver) and the quality of many people's diets, I would say most skin conditions are definitely related to our modern day environmental and dietary conditions.

Sea Buckthorn Oil – Weleda’s Sea Buckthorn Body Lotion (external use)

Sibu’s Sea Buckthorn Omega-7 Skin and Membrane Support

GLA – the essential fatty acids from GLA are crucial to weight loss. 360 to 400 mg in the form of evening primrose, borage, or black currant seed oil

GLA wards off skin problems such as psoriasis and eczema.

Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid that is found mostly in plant-based oils. Omega-6 fatty acids are considered essential fatty acids: They are necessary for human health but the body can' t make them -- you have to get them through food.

safe for you to try.

For eczema in children 2 - 18 years of age: Evening primrose oil (EPO), 3 grams daily, divided into several smaller doses throughout the day. It is reported that the maximum dose should not be greater than 0.5 gram per kilogram of body weight daily. Talk to your health care provider before using supplements in children.

Put whole oats into a sock. Seal it w/a rubber band. Drop it into a warm bath. Have a good soak. The oats contain compounds that calm inflammation

Probiotics are essential

Try a dairy or wheat-free diet; vitamins A (up to 10,000 IUs if pregnant; up to 25,000 IUs otherwise), B-Complex Forte, C (3,000 mg/day); EFAs (flaxseed and chia); Probiotics 12 Plus

Regular exercise – regular trampolining/rebounding helps clear your lymphatic system. Eczema and other skin conditions common symptoms of a congested lymphatic system. Things that help to clear up the lymphatic system:

Daily Rebounding

• Deep Breathing

• Dry Body Brushing

• Massage and/or Reflexology

• Swinging - just a regular swing :)

I have read this time and time again:

Bleach Baths

1 cup of bleach into a bathtub full of warm water

As a dermatologist said – the bath is really a tiny percentage of chlorine compared to a swimming pool.

You can soak in a bath like this without immersing head or face in water

When you get out of the tub, instead of drying off, put cream on immediately, grease up from head to toe, and then pat dry

Ladies, just a reminder:

The lymph-rich areas you want to stimulate include the arms, armpits, chest, face, neck, behind the knees, and towards the groin.

Always brush towards the heart.

Try to gently dry brush your bre@sts daily as well.

Focus on the lymphatic system - you can google or look up any anatomy book for locations of all the lymph nodes.

http://www.womentowomen.com/detoxification/lymphaticsystem.aspx

This is important. Peela and her thermographer, I think, were talking about this sort of thing. I'm off to go and learn. My thermography lady said the same thing - bre@st massage daily is key.

http://www.webnat.com/articles/LymphaticSystem.asp

lymphatic-system-benefits-from-rebounding.gif

Thanks, Negin. After reading this thread earlier this week, I'm attempting to body brush. I'd found something online detailing the process; if dh ever saw it, he would DIE laughing! I don't feel that I have time to devote to anything, but the dry brushing hasn't taken that much extra time. I'm only doing it every other day, and for now, I'm using a rough washcloth. Even after just the first time, I imagined myself feeling better.

http://www.webnat.com/articles/LymphaticSystem.asp

lymphatic-system-benefits-from-rebounding.gif

From what I learned during my lymphatic drainage classes when I was a massage therapist, you don't have to always brush toward the heart. Areas in the mid to lower abdomen can be brushed toward the inguinal lymph nodes in the groin area. As I recall, we were also taught to brush the low back, buttock, and hip areas toward the inguinal nodes also.

One major difference between what I learned as a massage therapist and what many of the body brushing sites recommend is that I learned that it was best to begin brushing extremities up close to where they attach to the body and move down toward the end in progressively wider sections, so there would be lots of overlap in the top areas as you added each new layer but still went all the way to the top. Anyone know about how this should be best done with body brushing?

I keep a natural bristle dry brush in my bag that my dh brings to races. You'd be amazed what a quick dry brushing of the legs can do at mi 20 or 22 in a marathon. :) Now, I don't always use it, but esp. if I'm undertrained, or doing something like two marathons in two weeks, it makes the last miles much more comfortable. The 30-45 seconds I lose to the brushing easily equate back to 5-8 minutes less on the course overall.

I keep a natural bristle dry brush in my bag that my dh brings to races. You'd be amazed what a quick dry brushing of the legs can do at mi 20 or 22 in a marathon. :) Now, I don't always use it, but esp. if I'm undertrained, or doing something like two marathons in two weeks, it makes the last miles much more comfortable. The 30-45 seconds I lose to the brushing easily equate back to 5-8 minutes less on the course overall.

I'll have to remember that Nono!

After reading this thread earlier this week, I'm attempting to body brush. I'd found something online detailing the process; if dh ever saw it, he would DIE laughing! I don't feel that I have time to devote to anything, but the dry brushing hasn't taken that much extra time. I'm only doing it every other day, and for now, I'm using a rough washcloth. Even after just the first time, I imagined myself feeling better.

Good for you, Kristine. Every step we take, every little thing counts. :)

I can relate to your dh possibly laughing. Same exact problem here. :lol:

I usually listen to music while I dry body brush and am done by the time one song finishes. A few minutes every morning - wakes me up and has so many other benefits.

you don't have to always brush toward the heart.

... best to begin brushing extremities up close to where they attach to the body and move down toward the end in progressively wider sections, so there would be lots of overlap in the top areas as you added each new layer but still went all the way to the top. Anyone know about how this should be best done with body brushing?

You are right and absolutely correct. I was a massage therapist and an esthetcian back in the mid-80s.

I'm not sure as to all the details. I don't get too caught up all that, since I really don't know. I just brush towards the lymph nodes and sometimes towards the heart and hope for the best. ;)