Menu

Writing writing writing....uggh!

snipsnsnailsx5

We still struggle with this area! I'm pretty content in the other areas now...I think we found some great fits. However I still feel a lot lacking in our writing. And by writing, I'm talking about creative writing, not handwriting.

Next year I will try a new curriculum, but I'm not going to go buy a new curriculum this year.

What can I do, or what are the favorite curricula that I can look into next year for writing?

My first grader is doing a weekly journal and WWE. However, in WWE its just story narration and one sentence of copywork. I would like to work with him more on creative thinking and writing.

For my 3rd grader I am just doing a weekly journal and WWE.

For my 6th grader, he's doing Writing Strands but it seems to be lacking for his age. He does a weekly journal also.

Ideas? Thanks!

I have just started IEW with ds7. I could rave all day about it! I think this will change everything for me as I can apply it through ds's subjects.

We also do WWE2 but I see that as teaching different skills. For me, not being confident in writing, IEW is an answer to a prayer!

Stephanie

Have you listened to SWB's audio lectures on teaching writing? It explains very well what WWE is doing. It also discusses whether "creative writing" is even necessary. In the elementary lecture, the story about her brother having to keep a journal for English class in college really resonated with me, and it helped me understand why my son's journal from school was mostly filled with writing prompts and no actual text. Narrations in WWE are helping him come up with thoughts. I see the benefit in the narrations already, and all the creative writing practice he did at school (which just frustrated him) didn't really help him. The narrations are teaching him writing that will be useful in life. Creative writing really won't do that.

If you have the money to invest, CTY (Johns hopkins' Center for Talented Youth) has a fabulous online course called "The Process of Writing". We're incredibly fortunate as we work for JHU and get a hefty discount - it is a really wonderful, demanding course - the work the kids end up writing amazes them! We have been doing it "flexi-paced" to fit in a more relaxed way into our schedule.

I was having writing issues with my 9 year old. We switched to BJU & it has been wonderful. This curriculum really helps my daughter understand the process of writing. They incorporate writing charts & diagrams. Here are some free ones. I'm sure there are many of these all over the web. These aren't exactly like what we use, but they're somewhat similar. BJU gives an example step-by-step of how to use a diagram & walks the student through each step.

http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/graphic-organizers.html

Susan