Menu

For LDS . . .

The caffeine thing is more of a personal choice or interpretation. There is nothing that says we can't have caffeine, however. I know some very active families that will not drink caffeinated pops, but I also know some very active families that do. Often Dr. Pepper is a favorite in the LDS families that I know. ;)

As far as chocolate, for those who choose not to drink caffeine - there is not enough caffeine in chocolate to cause harm or make it addictive in nature. (Although I find that I can still become pretty addiction to chocolate...hehe!)

The LDS Word of Wisdom forbids coffee and tea (any kind of leaf from the tea plant. Herbal teas are generally considered to be okay), as well as alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs. It also encourages a diet that is high in fresh produce and whole grains and lighter on meat. Some members choose to eliminate caffeine altogether, but it's an individual thing. I have a case of Diet Pepsi sitting in my pantry as I type this :D And a lot of chocolate :D But I try not to go overboard with either.

The principle behind the word of wisdom is to avoid addictive substances. The caffeine in chocolate is such a small amount that it is not considered addictive in the same way as tea and coffee.

We *are* counseled to avoid any kind of addictive substances, but the real principle behind the Word of Wisdom is obedience. There is no official reason given for *why* coffee, tea and alcohol are forbidden.

Many members assume that the caffeine is the reason and extrapolate that to other things, HOWEVER, in my experience most members would say that decaffeinated coffee and tea (and again I mean tea plant leaves that have had the caffeine removed, not herbal teas) are off-limits as well.

We *are* counseled to avoid any kind of addictive substances, but the real principle behind the Word of Wisdom is obedience. There is no official reason given for *why* coffee, tea and alcohol are forbidden.

Many members assume that the caffeine is the reason and extrapolate that to other things, HOWEVER, in my experience most members would say that decaffeinated coffee and tea (and again I mean tea plant leaves that have had the caffeine removed, not herbal teas) are off-limits as well.

Yes, I remember when I first joined the church - I thought I could just get away with iced decaf latte's. ;) They weren't hot or caffeinated! However, I was counseled by several including my Bishop, that all coffee was not recommended. So then it led me to think that it wasn't really about the caffeine itself. ?