Menu

True Grit (the movie)

Just saw this today w/ dh. Very entertaining, well-done movie. The 3 main characters were great & played off of each other well. The girl in it was fabulous. Dialogue was wonderful.

I went into this movie knowing nothing more about it than 1) it was a western, 2) it was based on a John Wayne movie (& I've never seen a John Wayne movie), and 3) it had Jeff Bridges in it. I hadn't even seen a commercial or preview for it. I went in knowing nothing about it & was really pleased.

Thumbs up. Worth seeing on a big screen, if you can.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi985860377/

DH and MIL went together to see this--they were impressed, but thought I wouldn't like it. I don't like the typical Western--loaded with stereotypes, etc.--would I enjoy this one?

I don't know. I can't say I'm really a fan of westerns just because I really haven't seen many westerns. In this one, I loved the dialogue & the great acting of the 3 main characters. The girl (14yo) in it did a great job holding her own w/ 2 grown men.

In some ways it is a typical western, I suppose. But, in other ways, it is definitely a Coen brothers work w/ some quirkiness & great, strong characters, fabulous dialogue. It's visually lovely too. Great work by the cinematographer, imo.

I think the first review of this movie (scroll down to the bottom of this page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1403865/ ) gives a really good description of it. Maybe that would help you decide?

it's sacrilegious to remake a John Wayne movie. After all he was THE Western Actor for years. Makes me sad that all Hollywood can do is remake old movies.

Well, you could look at it this way: They didn't really re-make a John Wayne movie. They made a "True Grit" that was more faithful to the book (Portis, 1968) than the John Wayne movie was.

Well, you could look at it this way: They didn't really re-make a John Wayne movie. They made a "True Grit" that was more faithful to the book (Portis, 1968) than the John Wayne movie was.

:iagree:

John Wayne played the same character in every movie, imo. I enjoyed Jeff Bridges depiction, and though I thought it would be impossible to find an actress as good as Kim Darby, I thought the girl in this version (I can't remember her name) was excellent.