Menu

Needle in a Haystack... Help?

Sahamamama

I'm looking for a resource for doing gentle, ORAL grammar work with young children (preschoolers), and what I'm specifically trying to find is material that provides oral language exercises like this:

Did he
keep
the soccer ball?

Yes, he
kept
the soccer ball.

Did she
sweep
the kitchen floor?

Yes, she
swept
the kitchen floor.

Did Little Brother
sleep
well last night?

Yes, Little Brother
slept
well last night.

Did he
weep
when he chopped the onions?

Yes, he
wept
when he chopped the onions.

Did you
catch
the firefly in grass?

Yes, I
caught
the firefly in the grass.

Did I
teach
you to speak English well?

Yes, you
taught
me to speak English well. :D

Also, if you've seen anything similar that drills or provides practice with PREPOSITIONS, that would be fabulous. Thanks! I'm beginning to think I might have to do this from scratch. :confused:

:bigear:

If it's for a native English speaking pre-schooler, I wouldn't bother... Irregular verbs are tricky for kids and their brains are doing a really good job of simply finding and sticking to rules like 'add -ed for past tense'. If your child is still doing it at age 7 or 8, it's worth fixing, but it'll probably pass on its own.

Have you looked at FLL? The first one is very gentle and you may be able to find what you're looking for skipping around.

Yes, we have this, and I used it with my K'er last year. It's great for grammar, and does have a few OLEs... but the group of preschoolers I'm working with needs something different, something that practices specific aspects of the language that are not going to be practiced at home. That's about all I want to say here. :bigear:

I found a great little book that presents some of these concepts in a fun little story. I bought it at Half Price Books and haven't really seen it anywhere else (but I hadn't heard of it before, so I wasn't looking). You could just go over the story and talk about the "characters".

http://www.amazon.com/How-Speak-Politely-Munro-Leaf/dp/0789313529

Even my kids, who have proper grammar modeled for them, learned quite a bit from this book.

Edited by Irishmommy
wording

This resource looks like a great one for me as a teacher of a certain little group of preschoolers. ;) It guides the teacher towards building focused oral language activities (e.g., purposeful teacher talk, one-on-one conversations, group discussions, grammatical modeling/group call-back, storytelling, retelling, listening centers, and direct instruction) into the day. Thank you for finding this! :D Lots of good stuff in this book. :D

This resource looks like a great one for me as a teacher of a certain little group of preschoolers. ;) It guides the teacher towards building focused oral language activities (e.g., purposeful teacher talk, one-on-one conversations, group discussions, grammatical modeling/group call-back, storytelling, retelling, listening centers, and direct instruction) into the day. Thank you for finding this! :D Lots of good stuff in this book. :D

Thanks. I did pick out some "stuff" from FLL last night, so thanks for reminding me! :D

This was a really nice way to wake up to the hive :) I'm so glad I could help!