Menu

I think I'm asking too much...

DragonFaerie

..of my second grader. His day often ends in tears (both his and mine), temper tantrums (both his and mine) and incomplete work. He is easily frustrated and I wonder if I'm not causing, or at least compounding, the problem by asking more of him than he's ready to do.

He is not a stronger reader. In fact, he often claims things are "too hard" and "I need you to read it for me." I think he just doesn't want to try because when he does want to read something, or he's "in the mood" to do school, he does just fine. But I'm so tired of every day being a battle. Here's what we're doing:

Grammar: Language Arts, Grade 2 (Harcourt Family Learning) workbook (4 pages, twice per week)

Writing: Prompt, Plan and Write, Grade 2 (three pages per week); weekly history and literature narratives (he dictates, I write, he copies); weekly cursive lesson (one letter per week)

Spelling: Zaner-Bloser Spelling Connections, Grade 2 (daily assignment)

Reading: Explode the Code 2 1/2 (daily; 2 lessons per week); Spectrum Reading Comprehension, Grade 2 ( daily; four per week)

Math: Teaching Textbooks 3 (daily; he LOVES this; he's a very mathy kid)

Science: The Complete Book of Animals, Grades 1-3 (oddly enough, he can read this by himself) (about 3 pages twice a week)

History: Ancient World History together with his sister (once to twice a week)

Literature: Daily read alouds by mom and weekly questions/assignment/narration; also done together with his sister

Independent Reading: about 30 minutes per day

So, is this all too much? And if so, what should I get rid of? Am I asking too much of a kid who is barely reading at grade level (maybe even slightly behind)? I don't want to neglect anything important but I can't keep going with each day being a struggle for both of us. What should I do?

I would drop the Spectrum Reading. Since he's reading aloud to you anyways, I would use that for reading comprehension by asking him questions. By listening to him read, you'll also gain a good idea of where his skills are at. :)

Does it FEEL too much when you are doing this every day?

If it is a good pace and good amount you will know its good. If it starts to wear your kid out and become overwhelming then i would say too much..

I would cut back on all the language arts stuff until he is reading at or above grade level. I really don't do spelling or grammar until my kids are reading well. It's so easy to "catch up" after that - and really before they are reading well, those other things aren't a priority. I would do just ETC, handwriting and reading instruction for LA.

I would drop the Spectrum Reading. Since he's reading aloud to you anyways, I would use that for reading comprehension by asking him questions. By listening to him read, you'll also gain a good idea of where his skills are at. :)

Actually, he doesn't read aloud to me. He really struggles with reading aloud and therefore hates to do it. I find that when he just reads to himself, he does much better. Instead of having him read aloud, I ask him questions about what he's read. But that's also why I started the reading comprehension book, so I could know for sure that he is reading AND understanding.

I have also started letting him choose his own books for independent reading and that is going really well. He's enjoying the books and more often than not, he reads various facts or passages out loud to me anyway. :D

Right now I would focus on the reading. Read aloud to him as much as possible. And read with him sometimes if it will help...you read a sentence or paragraph, then he reads a sentence or a paragraph, etc. Continue the explode the code. I'd back off a bit with the grammar and spelling until he is reading more fluently.

I would have him read out loud to you, so you can see where he is at...choose some books a bit below his level and some above just a bit, and have him read. For second grade, I would do this every day. Start small, just a few minutes, and then work up to a bit more. What is it about reading out loud that he doesn't like?

If your day is ending with tears or temper tantrums, it might be time to change it up a bit. Keep it to the basics for right now (reading, writing, math) and once he is feeling comfortable with that, add in the other things slowly.

Another thing...get some audiobooks at the library or download something, and have him listen to them in his free time. He can follow along with the book. I know this has been helpful with both my DS and my DD.

Hang in there!!

Could also be too much workbook/writing. Do more orally. I agree with the language arts. Again that'll be repeated soooo much. I don't do spelling either until they've completed phonics and are reading well. Spelling is usually done after phonics.

If he hates to read aloud change off between you and him every other paragraph, or just have him do one page and you the rest.

Okay, so ya'll are thinking I should ditch the grammar and the spelling and do more reading instead? Maybe I could continue having him choose and read books independently as that's working well, but also add another book, say the Magic Tree House books, that we can read together. Now, should I keep doing the Spectrum Reading Comprehension book or ditch that, too?

And what about writing? He really doesn't like the writing book but when I was having him do copywork, it was really just extra busywork. He was just copying letters. He wasn't seeing the words or sentences. He just copied letters and spaces. Instead of the writing book, should I have him narrate and copy something from his reading book (or the Magic Tree House book)? Making up something to write really seems difficult for him, even when he's given prompts.

I'm planning on doing Voyages in English with him next year and making it a lesson that we sit down and work through together. I don't want to start that yet, though. Maybe we'll just start grammar and writing "officially" next year?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just really at a loss and I don't know how to fix it.

Okay, so ya'll are thinking I should ditch the grammar and the spelling and do more reading instead?

YES!

Maybe I could continue having him choose and read books independently as that's working well, but also add another book, say the Magic Tree House books, that we can read together.

Don't add anything. If you want to read aloud to him from good books, just because mothers like to read to their dc, that would be great, but don't add something that's going to be School.

Now, should I keep doing the Spectrum Reading Comprehension book or ditch that, too?

Ditch it. Do ETC daily.

And what about writing? He really doesn't like the writing book but when I was having him do copywork, it was really just extra busywork. He was just copying letters. He wasn't seeing the words or sentences. He just copied letters and spaces. Instead of the writing book, should I have him narrate and copy something from his reading book (or the Magic Tree House book)? Making up something to write really seems difficult for him, even when he's given prompts.

Don't make him think up things to write. Give him something meaningful--and short--to copy. That's enough.

Maybe we'll just start grammar and writing "officially" next year?

Yes. Please.

I agree, ditch the spelling and grammar and focus on reading. I would really try to get him reading to you a little bit every day if you can. I would also drop the writing workbook in 2nd grade. My daughter pretty much spent 2nd grade reading and not much else formally, and she is performing above grade level in everything in 4th grade (except for math, which we are working on at a fast pace to get up to where I'd like her to be). Reading over what you wrote, it sounds like he is doing a lot of work for a second grader IMO.

Edited to add that I do think you might want to encourage some type of writing, but that can take many different forms. My daughter liked to write stories and would do so on her own. I also had her write thank you notes for gifts, and she enjoyed writing short letters to relatives. So although we didn't do a formal program, she was still writing in ways that interested her several times per week.

Good luck with whatever you do!

Edited by 5Wizards

Okay, so here's what I'm left with (I think):

Independent Reading (books of his choosing that he doesn't have to read out loud to me)

Reading with Mom (books that we'll read together, as a way to get him to read out loud; if we take turns, he's more likely to do it)

Explode the Code daily

Science- The Complete Book of Animals (because he seems to enjoy it and because it gets him reading and answering questions about what he's read)

Math, History, and Literature (which is mostly response to what I've read aloud)

Is that really enough?

Independent Reading (books of his choosing that he doesn't have to read out loud to me)

Reading with Mom (books that we'll read together, as a way to get him to read out loud; if we take turns, he's more likely to do it)

Explode the Code daily

Science- The Complete Book of Animals (because he seems to enjoy it and because it gets him reading and answering questions about what he's read)

Math, History, and Literature (which is mostly response to what I've read aloud)

Is that really enough?

In second grade? Absolutely. I would still have him do copywork. Short, sweet and meaningful. Don't hand it to him and walk away or expect to be able to do so. Sit with him, watch him form his letters, guide and correct as necessary. The idea behind it is to make correct form fluid and automatic. So just copying letters and spaces is just fine. If he is fluid and automatic with simple copywork, up the ante. Add length or more complex words or punctuation.

Now my answer would be different if you told me that your second grader was sailing through all his work and needed more challenge or was bored. But if he's struggling it is absolutely ok to concentrate on his trouble spots and put off certain subjects until the trouble spot is taken care of.

Explode the Code daily

Is that really enough?

yes

Go down in reading level for the things he reads to you. Make it simple and easy to start, and build up gradually. I'm right there with you...2nd grade boy who is not a great reader yet. He has to read something to me, every single day. We do minimal work in all other areas to leave energy for reading.

I read aloud at varying levels (some lighter selections and some quite complex for a 2nd grader) and judge his comprehension by how he narrates those. He is not asked to share reading with these read alouds, just listen and narrate.

I do keep up with spelling, but ETC covers phonics/spelling well so I would keep the focus there.

In second grade? Absolutely. I would still have him do copywork. Short, sweet and meaningful. Don't hand it to him and walk away or expect to be able to do so. Sit with him, watch him form his letters, guide and correct as necessary. The idea behind it is to make correct form fluid and automatic. So just copying letters and spaces is just fine. If he is fluid and automatic with simple copywork, up the ante. Add length or more complex words or punctuation.

:iagree:

I would also just give him a sentence or so to start out with, and I'd read it to him first, so at least he's heard it before he starts just copying the letters and spacing.

Also, fwiw, my dd is in 4th grade, we've been doing copywork from quality material (Scripture, quotes, passages from our history or science or lit) since 1st grade. Last week - last week! - she stopped after she copied, read it back and said, "Hey, I know what this means!" and made a connection. (It was a Ben Franklin quote.) I don't think she's ever done that before. There have been times when she's said, "Is this from SOTW?" or something like that, but I think that's the first time she's really derived a lot of meaning from a new piece of copywork.

:)

Melissa

Explode the Code daily

Is that really enough?

Yes, I think that looks/sounds like enough. Are you concerned enough about the reading that you feel that you need to do some phonics work - I was thinking OPG? My 7 yo son is NOT a language arts guy AT ALL (more mathy, like your son) and he would DIE if I had all that LA in his line-up! : ) He is only in 1st grade this year, but all I do with him is 1-2 OPG lessons every day, he reads easy/level 1 readers to me every day, and ETC every day. Oh, and a page of penmanship (his is pretty awful!). That's it (for lang. arts). And since we've been doing this consistently, he's improved (both in reading AND in attitude!) considerably. I AM a LA person, so it is hard for me - I think his line-up seems too easy! - but I've had to weigh what works for him and what is enough for me. I can see that if you are a LA person, maybe that is why it seems hard to give it up. :001_smile: Whatever you do, keep it lighthearted and positive so he doesn't develop an "attitude" about LA. That is SO hard to correct in the middle school years! Oy vey. ;)

Without spending a day at your house, it's hard to know. But what strikes me right off the bat is there seems to be a lot of seat work-both reading and writing, and not a lot of "fun" hands-on, activity-type stuff. Do you do Art? Science experiments? Listen to music and dance around? Nature walks? It helps to break up the day with non-seat work at that age.

You're right. There isn't a lot of hands-on activities at our house. He is so easily distracted. I find when I try to do hands-on activities it is very hard to corral him back in. I am planning on using Exploration Education for science for him next year as that has computer lessons (which he loves) along with some simple experiments. I have also been looking into some art programs for next year, too. I am NOT a science or art person (yes, I am guilty of being totally LA-driven) so I desperately need DVD lessons or something for these, especially for him.

I think I've been trying to teach him the same way my daughter learns. She is a strong reader, great with textbooks and even likes workbooks. In fact, I offered her TT for math next year and she turned it down. She likes using a textbook. She is a very independent, self-taught student and I think I've been trying to make DS learn like she does. He doesn't like to listen to me talk. He wants to be more like his sister but he's just not there yet.

For next year, I am going to do VIE with both of them. However, DD will be allowed to just take it and go whereas DS and I will do it together. Then he can do math and science on the computer and maybe an art DVD (which DD would really like, too, I'm sure). Literature and history will continue to be done together. That sounds like a nice variety to his day, doesn't it? And for the rest of this year, I'll just keep it light and focus really hard on the reading.

Actually, he doesn't read aloud to me. He really struggles with reading aloud and therefore hates to do it. I find that when he just reads to himself, he does much better. Instead of having him read aloud, I ask him questions about what he's read. But that's also why I started the reading comprehension book, so I could know for sure that he is reading AND understanding.

I have also started letting him choose his own books for independent reading and that is going really well. He's enjoying the books and more often than not, he reads various facts or passages out loud to me anyway. :D

I have to get off quickly, so my suggestions are in point form.

1. How about doing the hands on stuff after the seat work is finished?

2. I'd go to the eye doctor and have your ds checked, even if you think everything is fine. Have the doctor check tracking and for a lazy eye (although second grade is probably too old to correct a lazy eye, it might not be--ds was 7.5 when his lazy eye was corrected because his eyes developed on the late side of normal) as well as other visual issues.

2. I'd go to the eye doctor and have your ds checked, even if you think everything is fine. Have the doctor check tracking and for a lazy eye (although second grade is probably too old to correct a lazy eye, it might not be--ds was 7.5 when his lazy eye was corrected because his eyes developed on the late side of normal) as well as other visual issues.

I hadn't thought that the problem might be eye-related. I'll look into scheduling an eye exam for him. Thanks.

Last year my 2nd grader was the same way. He enjoyed reading to himself but HATED reading outloud. Finally I got a McGuffey reader for him to read to me and he would just read that outloud. The sections are VERY short, yet they have great vocab etc. He did alot of silent reading and would have to give me oral narrations for that so that I would know if he got it. Also I would go throught the silent reading books and pick out the words I thought he'd have trouble sounding out and he'd have to read those to me. We did this for a semester and now he is great at reading out loud.

Also, my ds couldn't handle much writing. He'd end up in tears. For grammar, we did First Language Lessons and literally we didn't do ANY of the writing/copywork. It was all oral, and he moved into Rod and Staff 3 this year with no problems. I did have him do 1 page of handwriting/penmenship per day and slowly throughout the year I added more writing. This year writing hasn't been a problem (guess those hand muscles are finally stronger!) If you want him to copy his narrations, I would tell him that that was his penmenship for the day. For learning cursive, we would copy the letter 'perfectly' 5 times. (This took awhile for him to catch on too, but once he realized that if he just took his time and did his best he would only have to write 5 letters, wow did that handwriting improve!)

Edited by Homemama2

Also, my ds couldn't handle much writing. He'd end up in tears. For grammar, we did First Language Lessons and literally we didn't do ANY of the writing/copywork. It was all oral, and he moved into Rod and Staff 3 this year with no problems. I did have him do 1 page of handwriting/penmenship per day and slowly throughout the year I added more writing. This year writing hasn't been a problem (guess those hand muscles are finally stronger!) If you want him to copy his narrations, I would tell him that that was his penmenship for the day. For learning cursive, we would copy the letter 'perfectly' 5 times. (This took awhile for him to catch on too, but once he realized that if he just took his time and did his best he would only have to write 5 letters, wow did that handwriting improve!)

Believe it or not, he actually likes doing cursive. The only reason we're doing it at all is because he wanted to. He does one page of one letter each week and has great fun circling all the best ones when I "check" it. :D

He also doesn't have too many problems with copywork. He does make some mistakes but really not much (a missed comma or capital letter and such). The major problems come when he has to think of something to write by himself.