Menu

Before MCTLA

Embassy

I plan to use MCTLA with my son when he is in third grade. I used BJU English 3 with my oldest son before moving on to MCTLA. I'm not sure I want to use BJU English 3 with my second son though. Any suggestions? What did you use before you started the Island level?

I used Shurley and I *really* like how it led into SI. The way they break down the sentences is very similar and the terminology was familiar so it made for a very easy transition.

We're using R&S now and I don't find it as compatible with SI as Shurley was. I'll be using Shurley again with my younger ones because of how great the transition into MCT worked this time around.

My youngest is doing Island right now. She did no formal grammar or writing prior to it, and is doing beautifully with MCT. (We had done maybe 2 or 3 lessons from English for the Thoughtful Child. . . It would have been fine to do all of it, and we liked it well enough. . . but it just wasn't a priority for me.)

I'd say the most important preparation for Island is lots of reading. Reading good books aloud, including poetry.

Independent reading & also writing of a few sentences a week would also be important preparation. Reading at 3rd grade level for sure. Spelling isn't included in MCT & so that would be important to get started with something else.

Mad Libs would be a fun way to prepare for parts of speech if you want to do that, but I really don't think it is necessary.

HTH

Thanks. I look into Shurley. I'm doing Mad Libs this year to introduce the parts of speech and informal instruction in writing and punctuation. I do think he needs some sort of formal approach to grammar and writing prior to MCT Island level though. It would be too big of a jump otherwise especially considering all the writing assignments in the Island level.