Menu

Chucked our math books for at least a wk.

mom4him

Yesterday I had to face that which I have been avoiding. Neither of my two REALLY know their math facts well. :tongue_smilie: As of today my ds is doing nothing but working on + & - flash cards and as of Mon. my dd will be working on all.

They know them but they don't KNOW them if you kwim. :001_huh: We are going to go all next week this way and see how quickly:auto: each of them can get through a pile.

They ARE going to learn them to where they can rattle the answer off faster than I can turn them.:D

Just had to share.;)

Same here!!

We were doing fine and then I thought, "hey, they don't know all of these facts."

Dh's coworker who majored in math said that was the one main thing he recommends: that kids learn their facts.

So we're stopping for at least 2 weeks if not a month.

You might like what we've been doing. I give the boys a five minute, timed drill of the 8 plus 7. 9 plus 6 etc. etc. I get it from an online place that makes math sheets.

I tell them to give themselves two seconds or so and if they feel the need to use their fingers, to instead, circle the problem.

When the 5 mins. is up I ask them to choose two problems, turn the paper over and make art out of each problem. I've brought out colored pens and told them to make the art beautiful.

It sounds airy/fairy and I'm normally not, but this has helped them have more of a "relationship" with, say, 9 + 6 = 15 then they otherwise would have.

Also, I notice which two problems they've chosen to do art on and I ask them throughout the day: what's 9 + 6? They like it.

And it's less boring then flashcards.

Thought I'd share!

Alley

Same here!!

We were doing fine and then I thought, "hey, they don't know all of these facts."

Dh's coworker who majored in math said that was the one main thing he recommends: that kids learn their facts.

So we're stopping for at least 2 weeks if not a month.

You might like what we've been doing. I give the boys a five minute, timed drill of the 8 plus 7. 9 plus 6 etc. etc. I get it from an online place that makes math sheets.

I tell them to give themselves two seconds or so and if they feel the need to use their fingers, to instead, circle the problem.

When the 5 mins. is up I ask them to choose two problems, turn the paper over and make art out of each problem. I've brought out colored pens and told them to make the art beautiful.

It sounds airy/fairy and I'm normally not, but this has helped them have more of a "relationship" with, say, 9 + 6 = 15 then they otherwise would have.

Also, I notice which two problems they've chosen to do art on and I ask them throughout the day: what's 9 + 6? They like it.

And it's less boring then flashcards.

Thought I'd share!

Alley

Great ideas, Alley.

Would you mind sharing the websit you get the work sheets from?

I am doing this with my darling 3rd grader. I got my calculadders in the mail and realized she had some deficits I was not aware of.

I recommend if you can find a good deal on this that you get Calculadders Masterpak (they have a Bible verse at the bottom of each ladder as well ;))

This is a fun website for game based drill

And of course there is cool math :001_smile:

Taryn really enjoys the websites. I am able to get her to do her best on the calculadder by letting her do a game website for 20 minutes after doing a calculadder (if she gives 100% ;))

My 1st and 3rd graders are at this point too. I feel like math really can't progress until they become more solid in the facts.

We are doing lots of drills. They start across the room from me. For each correct answer, they take a step/hop/ or twirl forward. They love this, and try to make it to my end for a hug as quickly as possible.