Menu

Wool diaper soaker questions...

Do any of the cloth diaper users on here use wool? Where do you get your soakers? Any WAHM sellers you support?

I'm starting a cloth diapering stash for the coming grandbaby, and am going to mix regular covers with some wool soakers. I'm also hoping to find some wool longies too, but really need to wait until we find out the sex.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?? Any advice on using wool? Dd loves them, but I want to be sure it'll be something she can deal with doing too.

We cloth diaper and use wool too..

I personally bought from other moms on parenting forums so I don't have a site per say however...I highly suggest getting her some of this amazing wool wash! http://hyenacart.com/EweNeedIt/index.php?viewall=1 You might have to contact her to see when she'll have some available for sale. We own the wool wash (liquid)...the wool wash spray and the wool wash bar and LOVE them all!!

I also have wool wraps for sale in size newborn and small and some longies available soon too in medium/large if you want to see :D Just PM and I can get you some pictures.

I purchased some from Chelory on etsy. They're very trim, which is important to me. They're wraps, not soakers. She's nice to work with. :)

I think wool is actually easier than regular covers. They stay clean forever (as long as you change when the diaper's wet, rather than waiting until it's soaking) and they only have to be lanolized every once in a while, so it's no big deal at all. Plus, if you should accidentally let the diaper get too wet, because wool is not completely waterproof like PUL, it will soak up some of the wetness, rather than just letting it dribble out. This can be a very, very good thing at night. lol

My SIL owns an organic cloth diapering and fabric company. She sells wool covers made from the softest wool interlock. I'm excited to be pregnant again just for the excuse to get my hands on more of that wool! lol They come with a lifetime guarantee on snaps and elastic, too.

I don't know if I'm allowed to post the link because I'm related to the owner, so if you're interested send me a PM.

I use wool exclusively (except when we'll be swimming -- wool is too heavy!), and I love it. Unfortunately, I can't recommend anywhere to buy them because I sew and knit them myself. (I actually taught myself to knit just so I could knit wool longies -- I can knit them for under $12 a pair, rather than paying around $50 a pair.)

I have heard that you can make wool soakers out of old wool sweaters that you felt; google for directions and check your local thrift stores.

For using the covers, I have some that are longies or shorties, and some that are shaped like a disposable diaper. I use prefolds with all of them, though with longies/shorties, you can use fitted diapers too. Snappi clips and pins are how I close the prefolds/disposable-shaped covers.

If the covers are just damp, I just air-dry them (or lay them over my wipes warmer) and use them again when they're dry in a few hours. If they get dirty, I soak them in some lukewarm water and a bit of wool wash (like Eucalan) or I use a wool wash bar. If I've done that, or if I've noticed that the covers are leaking, then I need to relanolize them, which I do by dissolving a bit of lanolin (you can buy liquid lanolin online, or just get Lansinoh and stir it into a tiny bit of hot water first) in some lukewarm water, then soaking the cover in it for about 15 minutes, then gently squeezing and air-drying. No dryer or washer, or they'll felt. (The exception is that my dryer has a rack that lets the item to be dried lay still, while the dryer tumbles around it; that dries the covers much faster.)

:iagree:

I knit all my woolies, too. They were much nicer to use than the PUL covers I'd used on my first dd, and we had far (far!) less leaking. Overall I spent much less time coping with diaper-related issues -- cleaning woolies took less time than washing PUL covers, less diaper rash, fewer leaks, baby never got scratched by velcro, etc. It was definitely good for us.

:)

I bought all mine off Hyena Cart and Diaperswappers; I like Swaddlebees wraps, and longies like those made by Wild Child Woolies or SustainableBabyish. All these are interlock-type wool, which I found easier to care for and less prone to pilling. Second the recommendation on the EweNeedIt stuff too. :D

Pendleton wool shirts are great... from the Goodwill... if you wanna make them. I, too, taught myself to crochet and knit so I could knit and crochet... soakers.... and leggings :) Just make sure you get soft wool.... All kinds of patterns on line to find... to either cut them out of sweaters or shirts... You can use the sleeves of the shirts to make "leggings" too :)

Fun!! Almost fun enough to want another baby :)