Menu

I don't feel like I am doing enough?

I just feel like I should be doing more. I have 5 core subjects, and then my extra curricular activities that I do, but I don't feel like I am doing enough. For some reason I feel far behind from my peers, but then I feel that I am ahead of them in school. I think I am just getting so stressed out from trying to assign my own schoolwork, trying to grade my own schoolwork, and trying to make sure I am learing everything that I need to learn. It's drriving me crazy!

My mom does not want to help, my dad can and can't help, and I pretty much have myself to count on! I don't know what to do anymore. I can't even bear the thought of going back to ps, although it seems like the only option, I really don't know what to do! This whole process has really started to wear me out, and I have told my parents, but they don't really seem to think much of it. I know my mom can't help me in math and science, but she can help me in my other subjects. She just doesn't want to take the time to do it.

I don't want to sound like I am complaining, but it gets to be too much sometimes. And then there is the thought of taking the PSAT next year which I am not even ready for!:confused: I don't know what to do anymore!

WWYD in this situation? My parents won't listen.

Oh sweetie..:grouphug:.

It doesn't look like you're behind. I think it's that time of year. If you are looking at other threads then you'll see that a lot of parents are stressed out about their children's school work. It's an extra burden on you because you're doing it on your own.

Is there a homexhool coop near you that you can join? Maybe it would give you a different perspective and alleviate some of the planning pressure.

Sending prayers of strength and encouragement your way.

I don't think you have to go to school over this, there is plenty of help on the forum. My dd is in 11th grade, and I tried letting her do her own planning. She said it was too much, and she just wanted to do the work and have me tell her what to do and by when. Yes its more work for me, but she regularly reminds me that she is the one actually doing the work. I do notice when I do the planning that she is learning how to plan by watching me, and the few days I don't get the assignments written in (I write them daily, its easier and then you don't have to cross everything out when you get a day with too much) she can figure out what she needs to do.

I'll tell you what I do, then you can do the plans, then follow them. I'm sure others will offer suggestions to. It is a good skill to learn to plan your work and do it in the time you give. It will help you in college A LOT.

First, plan your high school years so you know what you are taking each year. Above under your signature, it looks like six classes to me. We don't count Bible as a class. You might be able to have it one year as an elective. For it to be a one year credit class, you need to spend 45 minutes a day on it. That can be your gauge for other classes as well, but we have found that we spend more (60-90 minutes) on our core classes (history, math, science, and language arts). We do the four core classes every year and add two to three more. My dd wants to do PE every year and she does a yoga workout. She is taking Spanish and will do two to three years of it. She took computer apps (which is just learning how to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and is learning how to use photography software. And this year, we are doing a drawing course.

For math, are you alright with doing two maths? If it is too much I would do the Algebra 1 now and save the geometry. For science, if you are using Apologia, you can write to them for help, and even call them for free!

To make your assignments, ask about each subject and see how everyone paces them. We take about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks for each module in Apologia. Math we take however much time it takes to get it. I know Lial's has tests in the text, and Apologia has tests as well. If you don't have history tests, you can write papers. My dd is doing that and it really helps her learn the history. She just wrote a paper about the Underground Railroad and did a great job. Just expand on something every two to three chapters that interests you. For literature, you will need to be writing papers as well for the composition part of your English credit. Do you know any English teachers that can help you? Our librarian (public library) has helped us with papers in the past.

Look at the size of your texts, then divide in half. That is where you need to be at semester break. Then you will have an idea of how long you have for each chapter. Allow a few days each chapter for review, papers, and taking the tests.

You might need to think about your activities. Are they scholastic, or do they pull you away from your studies. Its ok for some fun, but if you find you are doing something not school credit related for hours each day, then you will fall behind in your studies. You might want to think about picking a few and leaving the rest out.

I hope this helps you! Hang in there!

Your coursework looks right on target. Maybe what you feel like you're missing is depth? Could you start a book club to discuss some of your literature with peers to go deeper? Do you have a Teen Court or debate club or something similar that will stretch your persuasive argument skills?

I agree with the previous poster - you don't look behind at all. Kudos to you for taking charge of your education!

i think many homeschoolers (like was previously said...this time of year) start to feel like they're alone. do you have a community college or adult education school nearby that you could speak with a guidance counselor? they could probably connect you with someone (teacher assistant, graduate student, someone doing an internship, etc.) who would love to meet with you, go over your classes, evaluate writing, etc.

fwiw, i felt for the first 10 years of homeschooling that we never did enough, but the year they went to public school, all of my kids tested above grade level. keep plugging on!

It doesn't look like you're behind. I think it's that time of year. If you are looking at other threads then you'll see that a lot of parents are stressed out about their children's school work. It's an extra burden on you because you're doing it on your own.

Is there a homexhool coop near you that you can join? Maybe it would give you a different perspective and alleviate some of the planning pressure.

Sending prayers of strength and encouragement your way.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support! The area I live in has nothing like homeschool coops or anything like that. I am trying to get more involved in things now that the holidays are over, but so far no luck. Thank you again!

I don't think you have to go to school over this, there is plenty of help on the forum. My dd is in 11th grade, and I tried letting her do her own planning. She said it was too much, and she just wanted to do the work and have me tell her what to do and by when. Yes its more work for me, but she regularly reminds me that she is the one actually doing the work. I do notice when I do the planning that she is learning how to plan by watching me, and the few days I don't get the assignments written in (I write them daily, its easier and then you don't have to cross everything out when you get a day with too much) she can figure out what she needs to do.

I'll tell you what I do, then you can do the plans, then follow them. I'm sure others will offer suggestions to. It is a good skill to learn to plan your work and do it in the time you give. It will help you in college A LOT.

First, plan your high school years so you know what you are taking each year. Above under your signature, it looks like six classes to me. We don't count Bible as a class. You might be able to have it one year as an elective. For it to be a one year credit class, you need to spend 45 minutes a day on it. That can be your gauge for other classes as well, but we have found that we spend more (60-90 minutes) on our core classes (history, math, science, and language arts). We do the four core classes every year and add two to three more. My dd wants to do PE every year and she does a yoga workout. She is taking Spanish and will do two to three years of it. She took computer apps (which is just learning how to use Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and is learning how to use photography software. And this year, we are doing a drawing course.

For math, are you alright with doing two maths? If it is too much I would do the Algebra 1 now and save the geometry. For science, if you are using Apologia, you can write to them for help, and even call them for free!

To make your assignments, ask about each subject and see how everyone paces them. We take about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks for each module in Apologia. Math we take however much time it takes to get it. I know Lial's has tests in the text, and Apologia has tests as well. If you don't have history tests, you can write papers. My dd is doing that and it really helps her learn the history. She just wrote a paper about the Underground Railroad and did a great job. Just expand on something every two to three chapters that interests you. For literature, you will need to be writing papers as well for the composition part of your English credit. Do you know any English teachers that can help you? Our librarian (public library) has helped us with papers in the past.

Look at the size of your texts, then divide in half. That is where you need to be at semester break. Then you will have an idea of how long you have for each chapter. Allow a few days each chapter for review, papers, and taking the tests.

You might need to think about your activities. Are they scholastic, or do they pull you away from your studies. Its ok for some fun, but if you find you are doing something not school credit related for hours each day, then you will fall behind in your studies. You might want to think about picking a few and leaving the rest out.

I hope this helps you! Hang in there!

Wow, Susan, thank you so much for writing this post! I think I feel that I am more behind in literature than anything else! It's mostly the composition portion of it, and I am having trouble writing them. I am using a ps textbook, and it really doesn't have any compostion essays to it. So I am very lost in this. Do you have any suggestions for this? History, math and science are going pretyy well, and doing the two maths actually isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The algebra is helping me with some parts in geometry, which is good. I may have to pull out if a few of my extra curricular activities, to keep up with my studies, but other than that, I feel that everything is ok. Maybe I just needed to hear that from someone like you all, I just felt out of balance.

English I seem to be lacking in greatly, do you happen to have any suggestions for essays and what I could do?

Thank you so much again Susan, it has really helped and encouraged me more to keep homeschooling!:)

Your coursework looks right on target. Maybe what you feel like you're missing is depth? Could you start a book club to discuss some of your literature with peers to go deeper? Do you have a Teen Court or debate club or something similar that will stretch your persuasive argument skills?

I agree with the previous poster - you don't look behind at all. Kudos to you for taking charge of your education!

The library has had book clubs in the past, maybe I should drop in to see what's going on. But here in RI, we don't have very many homeschooling groups, at least in my area anyways. Thank you too!!

i think many homeschoolers (like was previously said...this time of year) start to feel like they're alone. do you have a community college or adult education school nearby that you could speak with a guidance counselor? they could probably connect you with someone (teacher assistant, graduate student, someone doing an internship, etc.) who would love to meet with you, go over your classes, evaluate writing, etc.

fwiw, i felt for the first 10 years of homeschooling that we never did enough, but the year they went to public school, all of my kids tested above grade level. keep plugging on!

I think that is a great idea actually, I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe I should make a few calls around. Thank you so much for your help!

Does your literature text have composition suggestions, or questions at the end of each selection than can be a short paper? That would be a good place to start. My ds is an English major, he says to just write what you think/feel about something you have read in a persuasive manner. You draw a conclusion about what you read (thesis) and give examples from what you read to back up your opinion (your three points) then a conclusion. We are in a learning curve with this ourselves. When you are finished reading a few story selections, maybe post here for people's ideas on what you can write about. I did that when dd read Scarlet Letter and got some very good ideas. She did a character analysis on Pearl and it turned out well. The papers don't have to be long, double spaced one page is fine unless you have more to say. The most important thing is to get you writing about what you are learning.

Do see if you can find a librarian either at the public library, or at a nearby college that is homeschool friendly. You could run paper ideas through her and get your papers checked as well. When ds did a research paper in his senior year, the research librarian at the public library marked his paper up for him, checked his citations, etc. It was very helpful.

I think it's that time of year. If you are looking at other threads then you'll see that a lot of parents are stressed out about their children's school work.

I am one of those parents, and I posted only yesterday in a panic, feeling overwhelmed with my dd's high school planning. You are not alone! You are being conscientious. There's a lot of support and great advice to be had here. You can do it!

Hugs,

That's where I usually start when I get overwhelmed, which is often.

:001_smile:

You are going to be great! Your writing on this board is certainly coherent and persuasive, so check that worry off your list. There are some relatively inexpensive essay writing programs available (we use Jane Schaffer's Teaching the Multi-paragraph Essay) and there are lots of rubrics online to guide you if you want to practice for the SAT essay. My oldest daughter is very logical and finds it easier to start with a strict set of rules for writing and branch out afterwards, so the guide was good for her. If you are into writing already YMMV.

Have you signed up for the SAT question of the day yet? It is as it sounds... one question a day sent to your e-mail box. My daughter has been doing it for about a year and she found it really helpful as prep for the PSAT. It is a painless (and free!) way to familiarize yourself with the typical PSAT question format and gives you score feedback, so you can see your strengths and weaknesses clearly.

Mostly though, I just wanted to encourage you. I loved what Susan C said about planning. Once you have a concrete plan if you are making a good effort every day --- not to the point of feeling overwhelmed, but your best effort for that day --- you will see progress. Sometimes it comes in fits and starts; you feel like you are spinning your wheels for a while but then everything comes together and you realize just how far you've travelled.

GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Does your literature text have composition suggestions, or questions at the end of each selection than can be a short paper? That would be a good place to start. My ds is an English major, he says to just write what you think/feel about something you have read in a persuasive manner. You draw a conclusion about what you read (thesis) and give examples from what you read to back up your opinion (your three points) then a conclusion. We are in a learning curve with this ourselves. When you are finished reading a few story selections, maybe post here for people's ideas on what you can write about. I did that when dd read Scarlet Letter and got some very good ideas. She did a character analysis on Pearl and it turned out well. The papers don't have to be long, double spaced one page is fine unless you have more to say. The most important thing is to get you writing about what you are learning.

Do see if you can find a librarian either at the public library, or at a nearby college that is homeschool friendly. You could run paper ideas through her and get your papers checked as well. When ds did a research paper in his senior year, the research librarian at the public library marked his paper up for him, checked his citations, etc. It was very helpful.

Thank you very, very much Susan, this has been a great help to me and I really appreciate it. And yes there are essays and papers to write about in the back of the book and after each chapter I read. I have been doing these already, I thought I needed to do more. And I will do more because I love to write, I love to do things like this, and I like history, which American Lit is all about! Thank you again for all of your help.:)

I am one of those parents, and I posted only yesterday in a panic, feeling overwhelmed with my dd's high school planning. You are not alone! You are being conscientious. There's a lot of support and great advice to be had here. You can do it!

Hugs,

Thank you Amy for your support, and yes I did see your post, which made me start wondering if I needed to do more! But I see now that I am doing the best I can and that's really all that matters.

That's where I usually start when I get overwhelmed, which is often.

:001_smile:

You are going to be great! Your writing on this board is certainly coherent and persuasive, so check that worry off your list. There are some relatively inexpensive essay writing programs available (we use Jane Schaffer's Teaching the Multi-paragraph Essay) and there are lots of rubrics online to guide you if you want to practice for the SAT essay. My oldest daughter is very logical and finds it easier to start with a strict set of rules for writing and branch out afterwards, so the guide was good for her. If you are into writing already YMMV.

Have you signed up for the SAT question of the day yet? It is as it sounds... one question a day sent to your e-mail box. My daughter has been doing it for about a year and she found it really helpful as prep for the PSAT. It is a painless (and free!) way to familiarize yourself with the typical PSAT question format and gives you score feedback, so you can see your strengths and weaknesses clearly.

Mostly though, I just wanted to encourage you. I loved what Susan C said about planning. Once you have a concrete plan if you are making a good effort every day --- not to the point of feeling overwhelmed, but your best effort for that day --- you will see progress. Sometimes it comes in fits and starts; you feel like you are spinning your wheels for a while but then everything comes together and you realize just how far you've travelled.

GOOD LUCK! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Thank you so much Jen for your advice, support, and encouragement! It's is greatly appreciated, and I am glad that I have all of this help and support in this board, idk what I would do without it! I have signed up for the SAT question of the day, but I have a lot of difficulty with the math section, and I don't feel like I will be getting a good enough grade in that area, which really worries me too.

And I agree with what you are saying, thank you again for everything!:001_smile:

I have signed up for the SAT question of the day, but I have a lot of difficulty with the math section, and I don't feel like I will be getting a good enough grade in that area, which really worries me too.

I assume you're only half way through Algebra 1 and half way through Geometry? My DD just completed Algebra 1 and received a decent score on her SAT practice test, but she would not have done so well without a whole year of Algebra 1 under her belt. I imagine that by the end of this semester, once you've completed both Algebra 1 and Geometry, you'll be able to answer a lot more of the SAT questions. :)

I assume you're only half way through Algebra 1 and half way through Geometry? My DD just completed Algebra 1 and received a decent score on her SAT practice test, but she would not have done so well without a whole year of Algebra 1 under her belt. I imagine that by the end of this semester, once you've completed both Algebra 1 and Geometry, you'll be able to answer a lot more of the SAT questions. :)

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I took an SAT practice test in 8th grade (middle of my Algebra I instruction) and didn't do too well.

Took another practice test in the middle of 9th (during my Geometry instruction) and did a little better, but not as well as I wanted.

My PSAT scores from 10th grade were a lot better than my practice tests, and my 11th grade scores were better.

I didn't think I was learning anything new, but I found with each test I gained experience, and did a little better each time.

Before the PSAT in 11th, and the SAT, I strongly suggest going over your weaker areas in Algebra and Geometry. I always had trouble with inequalities and equations on graphs, and lo and behold, they were both on the test. Missed those questions in 10th. I decided before I took it in 11th I would study them, and I did much better with them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Yes Ma'm! I am only halfway through both, and I do feel that everytime I complete a section in geometry and algebra 1, I learn something that I haven't on the SAT question. Thank you!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I took an SAT practice test in 8th grade (middle of my Algebra I instruction) and didn't do too well.

Took another practice test in the middle of 9th (during my Geometry instruction) and did a little better, but not as well as I wanted.

My PSAT scores from 10th grade were a lot better than my practice tests, and my 11th grade scores were better.

I didn't think I was learning anything new, but I found with each test I gained experience, and did a little better each time.

Before the PSAT in 11th, and the SAT, I strongly suggest going over your weaker areas in Algebra and Geometry. I always had trouble with inequalities and equations on graphs, and lo and behold, they were both on the test. Missed those questions in 10th. I decided before I took it in 11th I would study them, and I did much better with them.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Glad to hear that you have improved in your scores, which is awesome. The equations on graphs and inequalities drove me crazy until I bought Lial's. Now I am almost completed with this section and I understand how to graph everything, and what goes where. Thank you very much for your advice and I will definitely take it and apply it!

Thank you all for your help and encouragement. Now I don't feel like I am so alone in this time of my life!:)