Menu

Pie...week 2 recipes

I couldn't decide on which pie to make this week so I made 2.

Dutch Apple and Lemon Chess

Recipes below!

Dutch Apple Pie

1 single pie crust

Filling:

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

1/8 tsp salt

7 cups peeled cored and sliced Granny smith apples

1 tbsp lemon juice

Crumb Topping:

6 tbsp butter

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Fit pie crust into 9 inch pan

MIx the sugar cornstarch and salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle apples with lemon juice in a large bowl

Sprinkle about 1 tbsp of the sugar mixture in the bottom of the crust. Arrange a single compact layer of apples on top of the sugar. Sprinkle with another tablespoon of sugar mixture. Top with another layer of apples. Sprinkle with more sugar. Repeat layers till ingredients are all used up. Place pie on center oven rack and bake at 400 for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make crumb topping. Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt the butter and drizzle into the dry ingredients. Toss till the mixture looks like crumbs.

When the 30 minutes have passed remove the pie from the oven and top with the crumbs. Spread to the edges of the crust. Return to oven and reduce heat to 350. Bake for about 35 minutes. If the crust begins to brown too much at the edges, cover them with aluminum foil or a pie shield.

Allow to cool on a baking rack for at least 1 hour before eating.

Lemon Chess Pie

1 recipe single crust pie crust

filling:

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal

1/4 tsp salt

3 large eggs

1 egg yolk

1/2 cup milk

1/4 cup butter melted

3 tbsp lemon juice

Grated zest of one lemon

1/2 tsp vanilla

Prepare the pie pastry and fit into a 9 inch pie pan.

Combine the sugar cornmeal, and salt in a bowl. Toss to mix. Add the eggs and egg yolk, whisking to bled well. Add in remaining ingredients and whisk till smooth. Pour filling into pie shell.

Bake in the center of a preheated oven (350 degrees) for 30 minutes, and then rotate pie 180 degrees for even baking. Bake till the top of the pie is golden brown and the filling is set, 15-20 minutes more. The filling may still be a bit soft but not moving in waves.

Allow pie to cool on a wire rack and let cool to room temperature. Serve at room temperature, or refrigerate covered with aluminum foil.

What a nice weekly treat! Last year I made a new soup each week. This year I am swamped with problems to solve and haven't begun a cooking project.

I am horrible at pie crust. Would the lemon chess filling bake properly without a crust? My people would like the flavor and texture with a plain cookie on the side.

Hmm...perhaps my project should be to improve pie crust making.

Thanks for your help.

pie crusts are something that just take some time to get used to making. I bet by the time you make a couple you'd get pretty good at them. What is the typical problem with your pie crust?

too crumbly? too sticky? taste bad? tough? what recipe are you using?

And I bet if you butter the pie pan the chess would be good by itself.