Menu

Ideas for Graduation "Party" - Inspire Me

We are in the midst of planning a HS Graduation "Party" for my oldest. We can use the church building and I'm thinking sandwiches, finger foods, chips/dip, etc.

I have ordered a diploma from HSLDA, which her father and I will award her with.

I'm thinking some sort of video about her life...

What else?? (not food-related) What kinds of things do people do at a homeschool graduation party?? And, how long should it last??

Thanks!

I'm pp-challenged too. But here is what I did that worked :)

---open house hours after the "short ceremony part" (That way the closer relatives/friends can come for the ceremony part and the acquaintance/neighbor/church crowd can stop in as convenient (3 hrs open is plenty)

---bbq burgers, chips, veg & fruit trays, cake, punch bowl

---large (think science fair) stand up picture collage. (I picked about 50 pics and left this to my 16yo dtr & niece)

---more pic displays and awards, little kid awards (soap box derby, Bible quizzing, spelling bee, etc.)

---Grad sign on the porch, helium balloons,

---Picture invites from online or Costco - cheap and easy (ours took like 1 day for processing)

---Delegate list to daughter & mailing (think of this as practice for wedding invites, lol)

---Gift basket (90% of gifts were monetary, not large presents)

---We did an inside/outside party since the weather was "iffy" so I had smaller assortments of food (chips, veggies, etc.) inside for those who wanted to stay inside. (weather was good so 90% of people stayed outside)

It was much easier than I worried about. Did cost about $300 for food, decorations, so that was reasonable in my book. Several relatives offered to do potluck so I could have cut costs more if I had done that....

Lisaj

So I didn't answer your questions. My 18yod needed a reminders and coaxing to mingle with the guests and not just her friends. People mostly talked and visited and ate :).

Everyone looked at the pictures and displays. I made sure everything was done in advance as that made it possible for me to mingle and not just fill food trays and do behind-the-scenes stuff!

Lisaj, hope that helps

come celebrate with wiffle ball and barbecue. we were living with my in-laws at the time, so our good friends had it at their (very small) house and we just had people bring lawn chairs, had a basket nearby for people who brought cards and just had a real informal time. the kids (age and at heart) played wiffle ball or badminton or horseshoes or washerboard...we had lots of stuff to do and dd mingled with different groups and everyone had a great time.

does your daughter have any input? i'd ask what she'd be most comfortable with...

congratulations!

We went casual. Ds walked down the stairs to 30 people with Pomp and Circumstance playing the the computer upstairs. We had a graduation gown, I ordered a cap, tassel, gold cord, diploma holder. I said about one paragraph, not too "mushy" because he doesn't like that, then presented his diploma. A pastor friend said a prayer. Over! We grilled hamburgers, had a veggie tray, chips, etc. We had a large cake. My mom flew in, and wanted to do something special, so she bought plastic wine glasses and sparkling cider for all. It was fun. It went about five hours because people came that we don't see often.

With my oldest, we rented an auditorium and paid for some local bands to play (he is very into music), and he and his band also played. We had a table for snacks and finger type foods, along with drinks. What we did not expect . . . The party was put on our local music scene website (we still don't know who did that) and people - think a couple of hundred - started showing up! It was a madhouse, but my son had a great time and still talks about it.

My second son did not want a party. He is very much an introvert and just wanted a family thing.

I'm not sure what we'll do next year with #3. He is very social, so we will have a party that will probably be held at our community center.

:svengo:

Innocently and unpreparedly I drop in to take a look... and I'm blindsided! Oh my goodness, I am so not ready to think about planning this sort of thing, but I guess I have to!

(The first time I was blindsided was in September when someone started a 2011 college acceptance thread and we still hadn't gotten serious about figuring out which colleges to apply to...)

I guess you guys are good for me, but man!

I guess for now I'll just be... :bigear:

We had a blessing/commencement service for dd. We invited 50 people, her guest list not ours. I decorated in our school colors - silver and navy blue. She wore an evening gown, well...so did I; dh wore his tux and the boys donned their suits.

The service went like this:

Welcome and opening comments - Dh

Invocation - our pastor

Congregational hymn - Dh lead, I played the baby grand

dd's vocal solo - Think of Me, from Phantom of the Opera

short video

dd and I's Sonata for Four Hands/ One Pinao in A minor, by Schubert

Prayer for dd - lead by our pastor

Congregatonal hymn

Dd and Dh's vocal duet - More Than Wonderful

Special Speaker - My dead friend, principal of the private school I used to teach at and dd used to attend in 5th and 6th grade.

My comments - Yep, I CRIED!

Presentation of her diploma - by me...cried to. Dh gave her a dozen long stem roses.

Benediction - Our pastor

Refreshements afterward and time to peruse the displays - some of her best projects and writings, Right Stuff Award from Space Camp, DARE Award from the Sheriff's Department, Letters of Recommendation, Article that featured her from a Mission's magazine, college acceptance letters, sernior pictures, that kind of stuff.

We served croissant sandwiches, shrimp (I was not looking to feed shrimp to a crowd that large but since dd loves it MY MOM PROVIDED IT FOR EVERYONE!!!! and generously too.) Mixed Fruit bowl, cheese and crackers, fresh veggies and dip, fudge, brownies, and cream puffs (dd hates cake, literally does not want a wedding cake so I hope this is something that the future Mr. DD can handle whomever he is), punch, ice tea, and water.

She milled about trying to make sure she spoke with each guest. We made our own invitations but we had a professional diploma done.

After everyone left, we pushed back the chairs in our living room and my sister, bless her heart, tried to teach all of us to waltz....that was a hoot! Ds, then 12 turned out to be Fred Astaire! Dh nearly destroyed my toes.

Faith

I'm pp-challenged too. But here is what I did that worked :)

---open house hours after the "short ceremony part" (That way the closer relatives/friends can come for the ceremony part and the acquaintance/neighbor/church crowd can stop in as convenient (3 hrs open is plenty)

---bbq burgers, chips, veg & fruit trays, cake, punch bowl

---We did an inside/outside party since the weather was "iffy" so I had smaller assortments of food (chips, veggies, etc.) inside for those who wanted to stay inside. (weather was good so 90% of people stayed outside)

It was much easier than I worried about. Did cost about $300 for food, decorations, so that was reasonable in my book. Several relatives offered to do potluck so I could have cut costs more if I had done that....

Lisaj

We did something similar to this. We had a family/friend BBQ/open house at our home on a Saturday. Our hs group had a graduation Mass & ceremony the next day. We only invited close family to the ceremony, but we had lots of friends and more distant relatives at the BBQ. The weather cooperated, and it was mostly outside. We had music, lawn games, etc.

I was able to purchase a graduation annoucement/invitation kit from Staples, and I made up the announcements/invitations on my PC. They turned out really well and looked more professional than the ones the kids from our local ps send out.

Hope your child's celebration turns out well!

Brenda

To others who might read this thread --- do a graduation party of some sort. Last spring I had a debate with myself as to whether or not we should do this. DS said he didn't care but he did NOT want speeches, videos, graduation robe, or a focus on him. DH said I should make the decision. In the end after reading threads here on graduation parties we had one.

Since I love to cook I put all the food together --- pulled pork sandwiches, brats, hot dogs, hot chicken wings, sloppy joes, assorted vegetable salads, cheescake, pumpkin pie, apple pie, chocolate cake, chocolate pie, cheeses, dips, humus, salsa........ lots and lots of food.

I composed a letter for our invitation in the style of a Christmas letter telling about DS' school years, his accomplishments, where he was headed and invititing the family to come join our celebration. We hosted the party as an open house that ran for 4 hrs. We set up a volleyball net, had our basketball stand ready and planned to hold the event mostly outside. Then the weather hit----100 degree heat with very high humidity. Oh well. Folks visited in our home --- about 100 friends and family came. It was wonderful. DS was quite thankful that we did this for him.

I did put together a slide show of DS life however he opposed having it run. It is saved away for him. I'm still quite happy that we did this.

Carole

We did a "semi-formal" service for our oldest. We had the church sanctuary where we did a short ceremony. He didn't like pomp and circumstance. So we "walked" into music from the Gettysburg soundtrack-very fitting for my history loving child.

His dad did a welcome. We then had 2 different slide shows set to music. One was the Power of the moment, the other was the wings song, and shoot if I can remember the title now. They were broken up by 2 speakers. We had 2 different adults that were impt to him speak. They both did a terrific job in both talking about him and encouraging him to strive to be the best.

Dh and I both then shared a bit about him and encouraged him for his future. And then confirmed his diploma on him.

We then closed with prayer and moved on to the fellowship hall where we had a party set up.

I had things from his hsing times as well as information about the college he would be attending. We had a taco bar set up as well as cookies and cake.

I had his senior pictures set up on the tables for decoration.