Menu

Time Travel lesson planning? Help please!

Hey Sweet Gals,

I am now directing an afterschool program for one of our local public schools. Last semester we did an "Under the Sea" unit and I was able to use Apologia's Oceanography book. The kids loved it and the parents were so impressed with how much their kids learned. I brought in a live lobster, dissected squid, etc. Stuff we homeschool moms do all the time when teaching at home, but not what their used to getting in p.s.

Anyway, next semester the theme is "Time Travel." Essentially I'm going to choose 16 of my favorite events from SOTW: I-IV and do corresponding activities. We're going to approach it from the "eyewitness" perspective. BUT, next week I need to introduce the unit with a time travel lesson plan. I'm stymied. I have 40 kids ranging from K-4th grade, but they're divided up into K/1, 2nd grade, and 3rd-4th grade.

I was looking for some sort of picture book/read-aloud that would capture their imagination. Suggestions? Then I thought I'd have them choose three events they'd like to visit. Then have them draw a "time machine" and list what they'd need to take with them. I may get a few washer/dryer boxes to make "time machines," but space is an issue, so I'm not sure about that.

Any ideas, Hive? Thanks so much!!!

I know you said you are picking stuff from SOTW, but there is some home schooling program out there that is based on time travel. Maybe someone with less brain fog will chime in. Anyway, there is a book that goes with it that makes all these different hats out of duck tape. I'm not sure this idea is helping much, but it sure would be neat. I think there are twelve different hats. She also has a lesson that uses toothpicks to help students grasp the concept of time. I will try and see if I can find the name of it.

Instead of a book, could you do the world in a box?? You could still use some pictures, but if you had "items" that you could pull out of the box that served as symbols/representations for the events you would study, you could pull each one out of the box and talk about it to introduce the event you would study.

Will students travel through time chronologically or jump around?

What great ideas you have!

I was looking for some sort of picture book/read-aloud that would capture their imagination. Suggestions? Then I thought I'd have them choose three events they'd like to visit. Then have them draw a "time machine" and list what they'd need to take with them. I may get a few washer/dryer boxes to make "time machines," but space is an issue, so I'm not sure about that.

http://www.brimwoodpress.com/

The book "Calendar Quest" is perfect for what you're describing: http://www.brimwoodpress.com/productlist.html (scroll down & read the details of the book).

Some other fun 'time travel' history books:

the Good Times Travel Agency series by Linda Bailey

the Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scieszka

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

ETA: There is also the Magic Treehouse series too, though I think they're incredibly boring to read aloud, lol.

http://www.brimwoodpress.com/

The book "Calendar Quest" is perfect for what you're describing: http://www.brimwoodpress.com/productlist.html (scroll down & read the details of the book).

Some other fun 'time travel' history books:

the Good Times Travel Agency series by Linda Bailey

the Time Warp Trio books by Jon Scieszka

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

ETA: There is also the Magic Treehouse series too, though I think they're incredibly boring to read aloud, lol.

This was the company I was thinking of! However, the book itself would be too long for one lesson I believe. Unless there is a shorter version than what I am remembering. I used to have it but must have given it away. But, she has some great things to look at.

This was the company I was thinking of! However, the book itself would be too long for one lesson I believe. Unless there is a shorter version than what I am remembering. I used to have it but must have given it away. But, she has some great things to look at.

Yes, the Brimwood book is too long for one lesson. But, perhaps the first chapter or two could be read, just as a jumping off point? Or, maybe read a chapter a class?

Out of the books I mentioned, only the Good Times Travel Agency ones are really picture books (& lend themselves to reading in one class). Everything else is chapter books.

I don't know anything off hand, but I pulled up a search on Amazon, & this list looks like it might have some good ones to try, if your library has them. GL!

ETA: Ok, there's a lot of junk on the list, too. Pp 2-3 don't look helpful at all, so a quick glance at p1:

Molly Moon's Hypnotic Time Travel Adventure CD? It looks likely to be too long, but I can't tell for sure.

Time Flies for Ms Wiz: 64pp, but it's got 2 stories, & only 1 is about TT. Ms Wiz has a time machine, & one of the students messes w/ it. Oops! Looks like it might work.

The Boy, The Bear, The Baron, The Bard: NYT Best Illus Book Award--Wordless time travelling book about Shakespeare. Looks comical. I know you have to be brave to use a wordless pic book, but I think they're awesome. :D

Max's Ice Age Adventure: Looks simple, science-based, chased by ice-age animals, etc.

Mr. Benn Gladiator: The art on this one doesn't look great, but the story line is a costume shop that transports you to the time of the costume you choose. Might be perfect.

Edited by Aubrey

Wow! You all are the best. I will take a look at the books. I'm really intrigued by Calendar Quest. And yes, we are going to move through chronologically, build a wall timeline, etc. My plan is to choose key events that can be hooks for these guys. How to choose 17 events, though ... That will be a challenge!

Any other ideas?

Thanks again, Gals!