Menu

French for fourth grade?

happypamama

I'm reading past threads, but they're a bit overwhelming. Can anyone recommend a good French program for a bright fourth grader? I'm not looking for anything too structured, like I might use for a high schooler, but I want something a little more than the random books and CDs I've been using infrequently. Something mostly oral, and bonus points if a 6yo would enjoy it as well.

My 2nd and 8th grader are using L'Art de Lire from Nallenart. They both really like it.

http://www.nallenart.on.ca/

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions!

About L'Art de Lire -- I looked at it and think it might be what we want. Do you think we could do it without having done L'Art de Dire first? I was thinking about getting L'Art de Dire and going through it as a family, even though DD is probably a little old for it, and then moving on to L'Art de Lire whenever she's ready for it. I'm looking at sample pages for both Dire and Lire and can't decide which would be best for the fourth grader. I think she could probably handle Lire, but she might like Dire better at first. Will have to think about it.

How necessary are the CDs? I studied French for several years, and while I'm not fluent and don't have a perfect accent, I do understand a fair amount and do know the pronunciations.

I absolutely think that you would be find with L'Art de Lire. My dd is 7 and while she works ahead a bit, she is having no trouble with it. It has a lot of fun practice. We love this aspect of it!

On the other hand, I haven't seen L'Art de Dire so you may enjoy it as well.

I like having the audio cds but then I don't speak French. I think they might prove to be handy, but if you feel comfortable without them then...:001_smile:

If you want it to be mostly oral, I would suggest L'art de Dire. It's aimed at K-3rd, so your DD would be at the top end. It will be on the easy side for her, but then L'art de Lire might be a tad frustrating for your 6yo. In another year or so, they could do L'art de Lire together.

Languages are my skill area, particularly French, and I find the CD useful. I'll work through the lessons with my DDs myself, but they do their review with the CD independently.

HTH!

Edited by Hedgehog

If you want it to be mostly oral, I would suggest L'art de Dire. It's aimed at K-3rd, so your DD would be at the top end. It will be on the easy side for her, but then L'art de Lire might be a tad frustrating for your 6yo. In another year or so, they could do L'art de Lire together.

Languages are my skill area, particularly French, and I find the CD useful. I'll work through the lessons with my DDs myself, but they do their review with the CD independently.

HTH!

Thanks, and thanks Kfamily, as well; this is very helpful information. It looks like it's easiest to order L'art de Lire with the CD anyway, so I'll probably just do that. I think for those two children, it probably would not be the best plan to wait a year and do them both in it together, only because the potential for competition is really great with them, and I'd rather avoid that. So I think I'll order L'art de Lire for DD, as it looks like it's a good combination of oral and writing, and maybe get L'art de Dire for DS1 at some point, and/or just let him come along for the ride and get what he can out of L'art de Lire and other casual French books/CDs/etc.

I really appreciate all the suggestions!