Menu

Home-made history for K, like WP HIH

Dhahabu

I've had a look at Winter Promise's Hideaways in History program and while it looks great, I'm not sure I really want to spend the money on it for several reasons: 1. My ds is only 5 and I don't want such a time-intensive program at this stage; 2. The reviews for the set of books they use (Cleopatra's Coin etc) don't look that good and 3. We already have the Clever Castles and Cars book and do that kind of thing a lot so I think I could work out when to do those things myself. So, my question is if I were to make a simple K overview program myself looking at key events in world history (eg Greeks, Romans), can you recommend some interesting read-alouds (living books preferably) to go with it?

Thanks, Julie

You can just get SOTW with the activity guide and it basically is the same thing, just MUCH cheaper. I tried the old version of HIH and I was really disappointed in it. I had every intention of doing the building projects, but they were just WAY too involved for me. VERY teacher intensive. I'd just pick something to build for each unit and then leave it up to your ds to come up with how to build it. My kids still talk about when they "built" a cave out of a table with a blanket draped over it. That was all they needed, not some giant elaborate dwelling built from too many boxes with lots of work on my part. I say make it easy on yourself, just go to the library and pair those books you check out with SOTW and call it a day! Just my 2 cents!