Menu

If you don't drink coffee,

I stopped drinking caffeinated drinks when I was pregnant with Hobbes - I read that it was a better idea - then didn't start up again whilst breastfeeding. After this gap of over 2 1/2 years I found that caffeine affected my sleep, even if I only had it in the morning. I now drink decaff tea and sometimes decaff coffee.

Laura

It makes my joints ache if I have several in a week.

I can have one sometimes. I like it. Love the smell. Dh and dd16 are addicted to it and we have an expresso machine at home- not to mention they love to go to cafes (and it's a nice thing they share). But if I try to keep up, even drinking decaf, my joints start to ache after a few days. I just know it is not good for my system so I trust that. I drink 2 cups of low caffeine tea in the mornings and a coffee perhaps once a month.

I can't stand the taste of it. Even just the smell of coffee brewing or the smell of coffee on someone who has been drinking it makes me nauseous. Fortunately, my DH doesn't drink coffee because I honestly don't know if I could have married a coffee drinker.

I love Starbucks hot chocolate though... :)

I simply can't stand the flavor. I've tried multiple types and gourmets and cappuccinos and I can't stand any of them. I've quit trying. Coffee is one drink I can't even tolerate just to be polite.

This.

And it bugs my husband to no end. He looooooves coffee, has a superduper espresso machine, buys specialty coffebeans etc and I still don't like it :lol:.

I love how it smells, but it's bitter and bad tasting to me. I don't like the stale smell of it on people's breath. But give me some tea, and I'm in heaven.

:iagree:

I also can't tolerate the taste of red wine and beer. I do drink other alcoholic drinks, though.

My DH can't stand the flavor either. I am a HUGE coffee drinker and make a double shot latte every morning.

If I make a blended coffee drink the afternoon, he has been known to try it, but he doesn't like them.....mind you, I don't like a lot of sugar or flavors, even in my blended drinks....I am a coffee purist and love just strong coffee flavor.....

Dawn

It tastes nasty unless full of cream and sugar.I do not need the calories. And - it can tend to give me a headache. I can make expresso with the machine Pioneer Woman let me win once - but I add milk and Splenda. Expresso doesn't seem to bother me as much as straight coffee.

I prefer plain old black tea, Lipton, not generic.

I don't like the taste. As I have gotten older, I can tolerate a cup once in a while at a social gathering, but them it is more cream and sugar than coffee.

Funny thing is that neither one of my parents drank coffee. My DH doesn't drink it and neither do his parents. Sometimes I wonder if one drinks it because they have been brought up around it all their lives.

Aside from religious reasons, I don't like the taste or smell, I don't want to get addicted to anything, caffeine triggers migraines, and I generally avoid drinking my calories. I will enjoy an occasional cup of hot chocolate after being outside on a cold day or a cup of herbal tea when I have a sore throat/upset stomach. I prefer to drink water. :)

Even small quantities make me jittery. I consume caffeine in other forms without any problems, but I haven't been able to handle coffee since I was pregnant the first time. I definitely think my mornings are easier for me than they are for people with serious coffee addictions (or mere habits) though. ... On the other hand, of course, maybe the people for whom mornings are hardest are the ones most likely to develop a coffee addiction.

I am very allergic to coffee. I never could stand the smell of it. Just smelling it gave me a headache.

When I was pregnant with my middle dd, I did allergy testing. That was when I found out about the allergy. It was the 3rd day of skin testing. When they did the scratch for coffee, it felt like somebody had poured acid on my back. There was no more testing after that. My back was one huge welt. It took several hours for the itching and burning to go away.

I've never tasted coffee.

My primary problem comes when coffee is ground. Inhaling the particulates makes me very sick. I can stand right next to somebody who has coffee without any problems though.

Religious reasons. I've never even tasted it, and I can't say I've ever wanted to. At least I like the smell, after associating it with books when a B&N opened in my town when I was a teenager. I rarely drink anything hot because I never got in the habit.

I don't like the taste. Well, most especially I don't like the aftertaste. I love the smell. Too bad it doesn't taste like it smells. I've never liked it. However, without self-constraint I could drink my weight in cold caffeine drinks! :)

Edited to quote: "I don't like the stale smell of it on people's breath." Oh my goodness, I forgot this! GAG!! Major reason not to drink it or enjoy being around it. There aren't many smells that I feel this way about but cigarette smoke and coffee breath really gags me.

Edited by PinkInTheBlue

I've never been able to stand the smell or taste of coffee. Even if I wasn't LDS, I wouldn't drink it.

My dad, who always liked visiting different churches, originally got interested in the LDS Church when he heard about the whole no drinking/smoking/coffee thing. His parents drank coffee and he hated it. He figured that Mormon girls wouldn't do any of those horribly stinky things. It was only later that he decided it was true; the first attraction was the 'no coffee' rule. :lol:

I was having a heart issue and suspected it was the 4 double espressos per day I was having. It took an agonizingly long time to quit -- I did it in stages -- but quit I did. Then, when I found out that it wasn't the coffee, I never, ever, wanted to be so addicted to something so hard to quit.

I drank tea for a long time instead but have recently quit that, as well.

I love both of them under the right conditions but I prefer to nix the addiction. Kind of a matter of principle now I guess.

I'm with the hate the taste crowd. I've tried it plain, with milk, with milk and sugar, with flavorings, etc. I still can't stand the taste. I don't even like coffee flavored treats, no coffee ice cream for me!

We don't actually own a coffee maker at our house, DH hates the tastes as well, and only my father inlaw regularly drinks coffee. My father will if it is available, but he doesn't drink more then 1 cup a day, and even that is fairly rare. Actually none of my in-laws drink it either. My Mom does have a coffee machine at her lake house for my sister's boyfriend and guests, but no one other then my sister's boyfriend even knows how to work it!

That being said I love hot tea (the drink) and hot chocolate. I can't stand the taste of coffee though, and there are a few teas I won't drink because their flavor is fairly close to coffee.

Coffee tastes disgusting. So I don't drink it. Yuck. No amount of sugar makes it palatable. I can't stand the flavor of coffee in anything: cake, candy, etc. It's just too disgusting.

And it smells as bad as it tastes, so how could I even get it close to my lips with that terrible smell??

I also can't stand the smell of coffee on a coffee drinker's breath. It makes me want to puke.

Dh is an avid coffee drinker. He can't live in the morning without his coffee, fresh ground even. GAG!

So, he gets up hours before I do, and his coffee grinder and brewer are in the basement so I don't have to smell them. He enjoys his coffee down in his man cave, and then leaves for work, where he takes a thermos full of his brew, and then he doesn't drink any before he comes home or while he's at home, so I don't have to smell it in the air or on him.

It works for us.

But, yeah, coffee and cigarette smoke smell a lot alike to me. Sometimes when dh has had coffee in the car and I get in, I think someone has been smoking in our car. I have to spray the car to get rid of the smell or I can't ride in it. They are both nasty, nasty smells.

I've always hated the taste and the smell. Many a time I would come out of the bedroom in the morning and ask what was burning. Oh yea, dh was just making a pot of coffee. And when I was pregnant, I wouldn't let my dh even make coffee in the house, the smell would make me sick.

I have my own mugs for tea that dh is not allowed to put coffee in. Ever. I hate the smell so much and I can't get the smell out of them even after scrubbing. It's even worse for travel mugs.

My dh is a coffee snob and loves his Keurig that we got him for Christmas. It doesn't stink up the house like brewing a full pot.

Both of my kids love coffee. Go figure.

I've always hated the taste and the smell. Many a time I would come out of the bedroom in the morning and ask what was burning. Oh yea, dh was just making a pot of coffee. And when I was pregnant, I wouldn't let my dh even make coffee in the house, the smell would make me sick.

I have my own mugs for tea that dh is not allowed to put coffee in. Ever. I hate the smell so much and I can't get the smell out of them even after scrubbing. It's even worse for travel mugs.

My dh is a coffee snob and loves his Keurig that we got him for Christmas. It doesn't stink up the house like brewing a full pot.

Both of my kids love coffee. Go figure.

Totally agree with the bolded part. I have my own mugs for cocoa and tea, and I have my own travel mugs. I simply can not STAND to drink out of a mug that has once held coffee. It's nauseating.

I like coffee but it doesn't agree with me.

I was a daily coffee drinker but had to give it up as it was giving me migraines. I was never addicted, I just gave it up with no problem whatsoever.

I can drink one cup every now and then but it has to be before midday or else I won't be able to sleep at night. I don't do this often because no matter what time of day I can get a little jittery so it is a rare pleasure.