Menu

Please share your thoughts on teaching siblings together?

Sunshine Mama

I have two that are 15 months apart - honestly teaching them together doesn't work for us because they are too much in competition with each other and fight the whole time.

I basically just teach the 4 yo and either give the 3yo his own work or let him follow along with us while paying most attention to the 4 yo.

I guess it depends on your kids and how they get along.

Also I find that even with only a 15 month age gap there is a wide gap in their abilities - especially developmentally. My 3yo can understand most of the lesson but he doesn't have the co-ordination or interest to write yet - whereas my 4yo can and does write etc and then 3yo gets frustrated and upset when he can't do what he sees 4yo doing.

So my two questions would be - how competitive are they and is there a wide gap in their developmental/learning abilities.

My girls are 17 months apart and I keep them together.....it is easier for me. It can be challenging because the younger girl is a much better math student and the older girl is a much better English/Grammar student......... there is a bit of competition, mostly from the younger girl. But she has learned to be kind and discreet and the older one has learned that she is talented in other ways.

My oldest 2 are 26 months apart. I kind of kept them separate through "elementary." But now, my dd is "advanced" and my ds "struggles" a bit so they are actually doing the same textbooks. (Except dd is doing algebra and ds is doing pre-algebra.) But for all other subjects, they are together.

My youngest 2 schoolers, 22 months apart, (so not my 2 y/o) are separate b/c ds can read ad write but dd cannot yet.

I have no issues with pushing a child who excels or maintaining a slower pace for a child who struggles and keeping sibs together as a result. I would be opposed to holding an excelling student back or pushing an unready child forward in order to keep sibs together.

JMO/E. :D

My dc are 26mo, and 14mo apart. I use Happy Phonics and math games to teach mine altogether. I also do all reading aloud as one big group...history, science, lit... That said most of what I do now is intensive 1-1 tutoring and it doesn't lend itself well to 2 kids at a time, let alone 3.

dd5 is in the middle. I have visions of combining her with ds7 for LA and ds4 in math...the levels would be about right...I'm not sure how that would work logistically.

tbh - I holding off on doing anything formal with my youngest as long as I can. He is picking up tons just living in this house. I also have visions of ds7 being more independent before ds4 starts Kindy (which is THIS fall:001_huh:).

another tbh - dd5 loves to play school. She teaches ds4 almost all he knows as far as letters and numbers are concerned...and I encourage that. Yes, I'm farming out my job to a 5yo, and feel no shame.:tongue_smilie:

Mine are 24 mo apart and I can't teach them together for much. It would be different if they're birth order were reversed, though. They are very cooperative so subjects like read alouds, art, Latin, and science can be done together but they have different stregths in the 3Rs and my oldest is much more mature (even accounting for the age difference) which leads us to separate curricula.

I haven't done much with my 4yo because of my philosophy for preschool but I don't anticipate much changing due to personalities.

My boys are about 18mo. apart and they do very few things together, for all the reasons mentioned above, but mostly because my younger is much father behind and often gets upset when his brother does things quicker or better. It also seems to work better when I don't have all the big kids doing school at the same time. That way the one who isn't working can play with the littles.

This year everyone is doing Biology together and the boys do part of history together (the older has at least one more session/week). The boys are also scheduled to do the same drawing and spanish, but it works much better if they aren't doing it at the same time.

I do think that I might have an easier time doing school with my younger two together someday. They are 2 1/2 years apart, but I think dd could be close to ds in ability even now at 2 and 4, so we'll have to see what happens when they are both school age in 4 years.

My 2 younger children are 20 months apart. We plan to use Rightstart math (used it with my 3rd grader) and I'm wondering if I should combine my 2 younger kids. Thoughts?

My two middle boys Caleb 4th and Brent 3rd are 12 months apart. I combine them with LA's, history and science but not math. I tried combining them for math this year but Brent was having a hard time understanding.

My two oldest are 16 months apart and they are separate in all subjects.

My two youngest Lance K and Ethan 2nd; I wanted to combine but they are 19 months apart but are so different. Lance my 6yr. old is o immature compared to Ethan who just turned 8 last week. There is no way I'd be able to combine them with math or LA. History and Science I can.

My three middle kiddos Annette, Caleb and Brent are all 12 months apart.

DDs are 24mo apart and school together. They do separate math and writing, though (but at the same time), and when I work on teaching reading/phonics to teh younger the older has free reading. It's working well for us and simplifies my day tremendously (vrs doing sep activities for each).

I think it depends on the kids and the family. Cooperative vrs competitive has been a high priority to me since they were born, so we haven't had any issues with rivalry or fighting. I've never tolerated it. :D It's paying off with how good they are with their little brother and during homeschool. The younger gets cross sometimes when her sis tries to "teach her" something, so I keep a short leash on that.

IMO math is a subject that is best taught at the child's level. It doesn't conform as much as others (science/history/art/music) since it is painful when it goes too slowly and devastating when the kid falls behind (to their confidence), so even if dc's were twins I'd plan that their math paths will tend to diverge over time, esp if one is more interested in math. You can keep them together if you offer the one ahead special, deeper problems or allow to work ahead in a different area of math (geometry, sorting, games). It's also possible to teach it at 2 levels at the same time - for example, discuss addition then addition of larger numbers or decimals, then each does their own worksheets. The younger one gets exposure to higher concepts and the older one gets new material grounded in the basics. Or you might be lucky and your younger be mathier than the elder and they pace together for a long time.

In any case, good luck! And above all, keep math fun!

I combine every place I can and separate wherever necessary. I found I was able to combine most everything in grammar school, but as they get older, their learning styles are better served with separate materials. One year, the 2nd son struggled with math, so I separated them the next year by having him repeat the year in math alone. It was the first time we ever separated them (b/c #2 was a strong reader and came up to par w/ #1 in no time at all).

Currently, my 8th and 9th graders do the same history and science, as well as Latin (The Latin Road Level 2) and Writing (Write Shop) with their 7th grade sister. When the 3 of them were in grammar school, we chose the Rod & Staff that was in the middle of their "grades", and I taught them all from the same book, as the material is repetitive and progresses slowly from year to year.

The 7th grader works alone in math, even though she and her 8th grade brother are both in Alg. 1, they are in different programs. She is working from the same science direction (physics) as the youngers, but she uses her own materials and schedules. She does use materials her brothers have used for Logic, so it makes teaching easy.

The 7th and 5th grader share resources for literature b/c the younger is advanced in this area, she can keep up w/ the Dialectic literary sources of TOG. We'll be moving her into Dialectic completely next year, so she'll be doing all the history her sister does.

The 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and Ker do science and history together, but each has a different level of required writing. In addition, the 5th grader reads from one more resource (besides the family read aloud). When we get to Apologia Anatomy, the 7th grader will join us for the family read aloud, but will also have increased independent work to keep the study appropriate for her level.

I teach the same program for Language Arts to the 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and Ker, just at different levels of the program. While this isn't combining, it does make for easy teaching b/c I am so familiar w/ the method and program.

The 3rd and 2nd graders do everything together, except math b/c they're in different places. Although they work from the same materials, I do have individual focuses with them, in order to tailor to their needs, weaknesses, and strengths.

The Ker joins in for science and history, but does little actual school work, save group projects, coloring and narration.

I also combine the girls with the toddler and Ker to practice life skills like cooking, childcare and teaching. So far, they both want to home school their children as well, so I show them how to instruct and they go from there. My 11 yo is working on a complete geography booklet w/ the Ker (her idea) and doing a wonderful job!

We don't have any sibling rivalry, beyond friendly competition, b/c we have never allowed it and always went way overboard with the "your brother/sister is your best friend" It has worked for us. Not that they ever have a disagreement, they do, but it has never affected school work. Honestly, it's simply not at option in our home. (Insert mean mommy smilie). While the first born boy and girl both like to be in charge, it's light enough that I can moderate and it doesn't cause a problem in school.

Whew! That's a lot to type out! Now I know why I'm beat!

depends on the kids but honestly, I have found there are times it's perfect. There are times it's not perfect. We do history/science together now. Love that. Latin and Spelling too. Just works. I had hoped to put them together for grammar(ds is older, dd is really strong in writing) but I finally realized they needed to be apart. but looking in the future I also realize my ds will need to move to independent science that she won't be ready for b/c she won't have done the math.

so be flexible. what works together this year may not the next. And I have gone back and forth in some subject areas in this regard. I now evaluated every year and know I can't plan 5 years out if they will be together or not.

I wish it were possible but reality is sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Mine are 17 mos apart and I keep them both together at the very minimum grade level for the older one which is 8th. The only subject they differ on is math. The younger is in pre-alg and the older one is in alg. It is more time efficient for us to keep them mostly together.

It really depends on your particular kids. I do combine mine where it's practical.

My older pair is pretty close to the same place in math, but they learn so differently it would never work to combine them. One frequently has to back up and redo sections to cement understanding, while the other one could practically figure out the whole chapter in a day. They'd both end up frustrated if I tried getting them in the same pace.

My middle pair are very close academically and do use the same language arts materials, but I couldn't put them together in math. Their math skills are too far apart.

My oldest 2 are 14 months apart, and ds8 & ds6 are 19 months apart.

I have always done math separately.

My older 2 did the same grammar and Latin until last year, when I needed to separate them due to competition. This year (though math, Latin & grammar are still separate) they are doing the same Greek, Literature Analysis, Logic, Literature, & composition.

The older 3 are all doing Sequential Spelling together, and the older 4 are all doing Saxon Phonics Intervention together.

We all do history together. In 2012/2013, the older two will begin Omnibus together.

There have been times when I've combined ds8 & ds6, but their personalities are opposite (one is very relaxed and daydreamy, and the other is...uh...passionate about everything and has a lot of energy) so it doesn't work very well yet. My tentative plan is to put them through Omnibus together as well, but that's a ways off yet.

My point is that I've had to learn to be flexible. Sometimes it's personalities, sometimes it's abilities, and sometimes it's been a lack of confidence that has caused me to separate.

My boys are 9 months apart. (I always get strange looks when I say this. THey are bio brothers, but I didn't bear them. THey are adopted.) I started them out together in preschool, but they are as different as can be. The only thing they do together now (at 1st & 2nd grade) is the content subjects (science, history, fine arts, geography). I split them for math last year and while they are doing the same curriculum for LA this year, I lower it for DS2. I will be switching to R & S next year for grammar/writing and will get two different grade levels. The older they get the more I see their strengths lie in different areas and DS2 is a little immature for his age.

My youngest two are less than a year apart. I started off teaching RS together, but by the time we got to B, I separated them because they were moving at different rates.

I teach my kids content subjects together but skill subjects separately.

Tara

(I always get strange looks when I say this. THey are bio brothers, but I didn't bear them. THey are adopted.)

One of my sisters is 8 months older than me. Whenever people ask me how much older my sisters are and I say, "One is three years older and one is 8 months older," it always takes a moment for it to click with them. I can tell they always want to say something but are too polite ask. I just smile.

That sister was adopted.

Tara