Menu

Does Anyone NOT like BJU Language?

amandajh

I am trying to narrow down what I want to use in the fall. We have been using CLE, but I am having to cross out so much that we don't need that I am tired of it. I use Spelling Power and copywork so we don't need the spelling or penmanship sections. Then some of the questions are just weird to me. Like: "How many sections are in this light unit?" My 2nd grade son is a little thrown off by these types of questions. It is also lacking in writing instruction which I have heard is much better in BJU.

I do like how independantly my 4th grader can work on her CLE language without my help so I am thinking that Rod and Staff would not be a great option. I would really like for there to be instruction in the text and not a lot of actual "teaching" that I would have to do for each of the kids.

I would be using grades 3 and 5 for my kids next year.

Any opinions?

We are new to BJU this year, but so far we love it! I've already ordered BJU English 4 for next year, as I am confident we'll be sticking with it. Most days, we simply go over the directions & my daughter can work independently (especially during the grammar weeks). The TM is wonderful though for reinforcing concepts if she doesn't understand something. So, in our experience, it is not incredibly teacher intensive (at least not as of yet). It is a very "open & go" subject and it has helped my daughter with writing so much. Previously, she could barely think up one sentence by herself, let alone a paragraph.

Susan

Hmm I have both 2nd grade rod and staff as well as BJU and I found the rod and staff to need me a whole lot less. I could have her read the info and do the work if I was busy. With BJU, I need to read the lesson for the most part. We did 4 out of 6 of the units with Rod and Staff 2 last year and I felt she had a lot of gaps in her writing and she disliked it so we moved onto BJU English 2 without finishing it. She had retained a lot of the rod and staff, which was encouraging, but really enjoys the BJU worksheets. Her writing has improved, though to be fair the last two units of R and S focus a lot on writing.

we like BJU too. we just switched from R&S. i like R&S a lot too honestly, but I couldn't find a good writing curriculum (after several failed attempts). i had read a lot about BJU English, so we final switched. we're using grade 3 & so far we love it! i definitely plan to stick with grade 4. it's been perfect for my reluctant writer!

Edited by mytwomonkeys

:lurk5: I use CLE with my ds, but I used some BJU elementary grades with my dd. I think my ds needs the spiral review of CLE, so I've been considering just ordering the BJU student book for the writing portions only. Anyone else use BJU writing along with something else for grammar?

BTW, to the OP, questions like "how many sections" are to have the student practice looking up information in the table of contents. There are also a lot of instructions/questions about scoring, etc. These are because the curriculum is actually written for the Mennonite schools. In those type schools, children work independently and go to a scoring table to check their own work. I still have my ds do those sections because some of it covers character issues about scoring correctly.