Menu

3rd grade math - MM or TT with CLE?

Mommy22alyns

Okay, I need some help. After looking through the rest of RS C and hearing from the experts on the boards, I'm thinking I won't continue with RS D next year. I really like CLE though, so that's pretty much a definite. I still want a second math program though, so would MM be too much like CLE (worktext), or would TT be a good choice too?

Rebecca's strong suit is NOT math. I think she's doing well as an average second grader. She seems to me to be struggling with subtraction. She does okay with the mental math component of RS, but still sometimes will reverse a number or skip a step and end up with the wrong answer.

What do you all think?

I don't have any help to offer, but I am looking forward to your responses. My soon to be 3rd grader is using Singapore. But I really think MM might be a better fit. He, however, has seen TT and thinks its "so cool" and wants to go that route. I want him to be excited about school, even math (I don't care for math myself), but I don't want to pick a curriculum simply because my almost 8 year thinks its "cool". If TT is a really solid curriculum then I would love to make us both happy. I hope you get some good insight that I can sponge off of ;)

I'm using CLE with my (non-mathy) 4th grade dd. We tried TT last year. CLE is working much better.

I think MM would be a nice supplement but I think CLE AND MM might be a bit on the heavy side. What about CLE and just games as supplements? Or the occasional MM worksheet when she needs reinforcement?

One of my daughters does great with MM, my other does great with TT. I'd probably go with MM as a first choice and TT as a second 'line of defense' if it doesn't work out. It's not that MM is inherently better, but there is a stronger focus on number sense and underlying reasons how operations or fractions or whatever works. TT focuses more on learning the algorithm... fine if you are an older student and need some review, not so fine if you're learning it for the first time.

All of these programs have a lot of material online. Give each of them a week or so and see how they work out.

Why not add something online based such as

Math Whizz whizz.us

Dreambox dreambox.com

or Mathletics mathletics.com

That way you can cover any gaps, yet your child can have some fun with it? They get the paper/pencil work with CLE and get to use the computer to see math in a different view. (I can get a lot more math work out of my kids using this approach):tongue_smilie: