Menu

Can you take a peek at our 4 year high school plan for DD?

9TH GRADE

Bible- Old Testament

Math- Chalkdust Geometry, MUS Stewardship

LA- Writing Strands (the level depends on how far we get next year in 8th grade), vocabulary, Ancient Lit

Science- Apologia Biology w/ DVD lectures & lab

Logic- Intermediate Logic

History- MFW Ancient History

Electives- Spanish and undecided what else

Volleyball and Soccer

10TH GRADE

Bible- New Testament and Church History

Math- Chalkdust Algebra 2, Budgeting (curriculum undecided)

LA- Writing Strands (if we have not finished by 10th grade) World Lit, vocabulary

Science- Apologia Chemistry w/ DVD lectures and lab

Logic- ? (any ideas?)

History- MFW World history

Electives- Spanish and undecided what else

Volleyball and Soccer

11TH GRADE

Bible- Biblical Worldview

Math- Chalkdust PreCalculus and Buisness Math (not sure what curriculum yet)

LA- American Lit, vocabulary (if not completed in 10th)

Science- Apologia Advanced Biology w/ dvd lectures and lab

History- US History-1877

Electives- Spanish, French and undecided

Volleyball and Soccer

12TH GRADE

Bible- Spiritual Disciplines

Math- Chalkdust Calculus

LA- Modern Lit/Speech

Science- Apologia Advanced Chemistry w/ dvd lectures and lab

History- US History 1877-present

Electives- Spanish, French and undecided

Volleyball and soccer

My vocabulary plans include Vocabulary Vine, Vocabulary Vine science roots, Vocabulary Cartoons (all 3 books), 100 words every middle schooler should know, 100 words every freshman should know, 100 words every high school graduate should know, Sat Vocabulary (book 1 and 2) Ok, that includes what we are doing this year (in 7th) and we will just continue going through them until they are all done. We should complete all vocabulary up to 100 words every freshman should know before high school (we might have 1 vocabulary cartoon book to complete) DD is planning on going to college to be a DVM so that is why we chose the science we did. We will do physics over the summer (just regular physics, not advanced) starting the summer between 10th and 11th and finishing the summer between 11th and 12th) She will also be doing the 4H vet medicine class, volunteering at the humane society and doing an internship at the local Vet Clinic. We do not live near any Zoos (over a 2 1/2 hour drive to the nearest I believe) so getting a part time summer job there is not an option. Is there anything else you would recommend for a future vet?

Any advice on our 4 year high school plan?

I'm not sure I would double the math. I would skip the business, budgeting and stewardship. If you really want to do them, maybe in the summer if your dd wants to. I don't see any computer apps or art, even though she is doing a science profession, it might be nice to at least take a basic drawing class. Are you already using Chalkdust and know you are going to like it? It was too much for both of my dc. I would also condense her studies as much as possible so she has the time for the internship and volunteering. You are also doing a lot of science, if your dd is up to it then fine. You could probably leave some of the advanced Apologia courses out and she could take the equivalent in college. Some dc on this board have no trouble doing a whole Apologia science book in a semester, but we have trouble finishing in a whole school year. It is a very individual thing.

Only suggestion would be for her to get in lots of time volunteering or working with animals. I don't know what the current requirements are, but years ago it was 800 hours (400 large animal and 400 small animal) for admission to Cornell. If she can do some of these hours during high school, that makes for less that she'll have to do in college.

This link has some good info. http://www.vet.cornell.edu/admissions/HighSchoolMain_000.cfm

Edited by Teachin'Mine

I just responded to Creekland's question about Vet schools on the College Board. You may want to take a look if your dd is going to pursue a Pre-Vet major.

Also, check each school and "feel out" whether or not they are amenable to high school credit being awarded for "Bible". Many do not count religious studies and eye this as "padding" the transcript.

Faith

What are you using for Bible? Just curious.

We are doing MFW.

For ancients it uses Taking the Old Testament Challenge, The Tabernacle, The New Answers Book, The Purpose Driven Life, Daniel Teen Inductive Bible Study.

For World History it uses Heroes of the Faith, Church History in Plain Language, More Than a Carpenter, Christianity, Cults and Religions, Experiencing God: Youth Edition,

For American History to 1877 it uses The Thinking Like a Christian set, Assumptions that Affect our Lives, Growing Up Christian, Christian Character

I am going to be looking into the topics and seeing if there is anything I want to add to them as well. MFW is still developing the US History 1877-present so I am not sure what will be used in the program.

Communication skills are important for a vet. I'm not sure if that is addressed well at the college level or not. I worked for a vet for five years and you need A LOT of proper communication skills to be in practice.

I also agree about lots of volunteering and hands on experience with animals. We did a lot of boarding and I learned how to deal with every mood, breed, temperment of cats and dogs. Never a dull moment. :D

Communication skills are important for a vet.

I have been debating on continuing the series Applications of Grammer in high school. We are using it now and will next year in 8th grade. The 9th grade book is Analysis of Effective Communication, the 10th grade book is Principals of Effective Communication, the 11th grade book is Developing Communication Skills, and the 12th grade book is Mastering Communication Skills.

Do you think we should continue that through 12th grade?

I just responded to Creekland's question about Vet schools on the College Board. You may want to take a look if your dd is going to pursue a Pre-Vet major.

Also, check each school and "feel out" whether or not they are amenable to high school credit being awarded for "Bible". Many do not count religious studies and eye this as "padding" the transcript.

Faith

Faith, I looked but didn't find the post about Creekland's question about vet schools on the college board. Could you provide a link?

I am also interested in this discussion about vet schools. My dd loves animals, horses in particular, and I have started considering college classes in this direction.

Is MFW going to be ok for the history and English college prep part? I really like MFW for high school. They have an organized plan for all 4 years for all of the subjects. I LOVE that! I NEED that! I *think* the history and English will be enough..... the Bible credit is icing on the cake for me. Your comment about the Bible classes padding the transcript is concerning.

Cathy Duffy says this in her review of MFW high school:

MFW for high school level allows for more independent study than at younger levels, but it retains the coherent, worldview, Bible-based foundation of younger levels. The high school courses provide solid academic coverage, with a focus that is quite different from typical standards-based programs. The history sequence adds considerable information on Biblical and church history. Many literary selections have a Christian perspective, especially in the second year course. While I agree with MFW’s choice to purposely select what to teach rather than follow the traditional standards, college entry issues might arise whenever course content differs from that of most other schools. Because MFW also provides an academically-rich education, this is not likely to be a problem. If you prepare a child well academically, and possibly have them accumulate some CLEP credits during their high school years, they should be well-positioned for academic success in college as well as solidly grounded in their faith because of the intensive worldview education they will have received.

I feel sure we'll need to focus on the math, science, and composition skills for a vet or pre-vet major. My biggest concern using MFW is that the history credits transfer fine and that MFW history won't take so much time to do that it eats away time we'll need for math and science work..... just thinking outloud... Any thoughts?

Faith, I looked but didn't find the post about Creekland's question about vet schools on the college board. Could you provide a link?

I am also interested in this discussion about vet schools. My dd loves animals, horses in particular, and I have started considering college classes in this direction.

Is MFW going to be ok for the history and English college prep part? I really like MFW for high school. They have an organized plan for all 4 years for all of the subjects. I LOVE that! I NEED that! I *think* the history and English will be enough..... the Bible credit is icing on the cake for me. Your comment about the Bible classes padding the transcript is concerning.

Cathy Duffy says this in her review of MFW high school:

MFW for high school level allows for more independent study than at younger levels, but it retains the coherent, worldview, Bible-based foundation of younger levels. The high school courses provide solid academic coverage, with a focus that is quite different from typical standards-based programs. The history sequence adds considerable information on Biblical and church history. Many literary selections have a Christian perspective, especially in the second year course. While I agree with MFW’s choice to purposely select what to teach rather than follow the traditional standards, college entry issues might arise whenever course content differs from that of most other schools. Because MFW also provides an academically-rich education, this is not likely to be a problem. If you prepare a child well academically, and possibly have them accumulate some CLEP credits during their high school years, they should be well-positioned for academic success in college as well as solidly grounded in their faith because of the intensive worldview education they will have received.

I feel sure we'll need to focus on the math, science, and composition skills for a vet or pre-vet major. My biggest concern using MFW is that the history credits transfer fine and that MFW history won't take so much time to do that it eats away time we'll need for math and science work..... just thinking outloud... Any thoughts?

I had thought about the history portion also. Dh suggested maybe finding an old public school textbook to go through along with MFW and putting that in the transcript as well. That is a thought- if I just have her read the section in the text. I don't know. We will be looking for a Christian college for her to go to before Vet School so maybe it wont be such a big deal? I don't know. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure I would double the math. I would skip the business, budgeting and stewardship. If you really want to do them, maybe in the summer if your dd wants to. I don't see any computer apps or art, even though she is doing a science profession, it might be nice to at least take a basic drawing class. Are you already using Chalkdust and know you are going to like it? It was too much for both of my dc. I would also condense her studies as much as possible so she has the time for the internship and volunteering. You are also doing a lot of science, if your dd is up to it then fine. You could probably leave some of the advanced Apologia courses out and she could take the equivalent in college. Some dc on this board have no trouble doing a whole Apologia science book in a semester, but we have trouble finishing in a whole school year. It is a very individual thing.

The second math (business, stewardship and budgeting) we were planning on doing 1 day a week during the school year, during school breaks (Christmas, spring break) and over summer break. I we really want her to have the practical math as well. The computer and art is in the undecided electives. We have to decide year by year what she is going to do. We are going to go over that with her next year sometime and get her input on that. We are using Chalkdust math this year and so far its going good. We do only do half of the problem sets though, unless she has problems. Then we re-do the video then the other half. We really want a good rigorous college prep math and we figured that was one of the better programs. I am confused about the science my self lol. Ok I was told by a very educated family member that this plan was vital to sucess in college. I personlly have no clue :confused: I was planning on leaving physics out since she will be going to vet school. The BIL said to make sure we get in as much chemistry and biology as we possibly could in high school because she will have to do classes such as organic chemistry and others in college. Then he said we would need atleast 1 physics class. So that is why we set it up this way. Anybody else have thoughts on that? Do you think that is to much? Dd LOVES science (right now anyways)