Menu

Why would my dryer not be working all of a sudden?

Mine is currently not working just like yours. Mine is due to a high limit fuse inside the dryer that blew. There was apparently a small fire due to lint build up inside. I always clean the filter, but did not know that I needed to remove the front panel and vacuum out the lint. I was not even aware of the fire, it was that small.

Before when my dryer stopped heating it was a bad heating element. That has happened twice.

Hope you get it figured out! Mine has been broken for over a week now.

Once upon a time, a mom named Nance found her dryer to be not working. It would turn on, but clothes would still be wet and cold- no heat. She made her husband check it, do different things to try to fix it, waited impatiently when he kept saying "I'll have to open it up, look at it again, I'm not sure what it is yet."

She grudgingly hung some clothes on the line, even though she wasn't much of a laundry-hanger-outer person.

She sometimes lugged baskets of wet clothes up the block to her brother's house to throw them in his dryer, because five people make a ridiculous amount of laundry.

More days went by.

She finally said to her husband, "Enough is enough. I want a new dryer and I want it now."

Her husband finally gave in and went and bought her a nice new dryer.

Nance loved the new appliance. It was bigger, it was better, it had a light (yay), it dried clothes faster, and so on.

And then her husband discovered WHY the dryer hadn't worked- it was a simple matter of a fuse blowing. Apparently the dryer had two different fuses and the one for the heat had stopped working. All her husband had to do was flip a switch on the breaker box.

Nance told him there was no way in he... er, heck... that he was returning her new appliance that she had already become so fond of- it was already a part of the family!- and she kept it anyway and they sold the old one for a nominal amount to a neighbor's mother.

So... go check and see if a fuse blew.

The end.

(P.S. If that fails it could be that it needs a new heating element).

Once upon a time, a mom named Nance found her dryer to be not working. It would turn on, but clothes would still be wet and cold- no heat. She made her husband check it, do different things to try to fix it, waited impatiently when he kept saying "I'll have to open it up, look at it again, I'm not sure what it is yet."

She grudgingly hung some clothes on the line, even though she wasn't much of a laundry-hanger-outer person.

She sometimes lugged baskets of wet clothes up the block to her brother's house to throw them in his dryer, because five people make a ridiculous amount of laundry.

More days went by.

She finally said to her husband, "Enough is enough. I want a new dryer and I want it now."

Her husband finally gave in and went and bought her a nice new dryer.

Nance loved the new appliance. It was bigger, it was better, it had a light (yay), it dried clothes faster, and so on.

And then her husband discovered WHY the dryer hadn't worked- it was a simple matter of a fuse blowing. Apparently the dryer had two different fuses and the one for the heat had stopped working. All her husband had to do was flip a switch on the breaker box.

Nance told him there was no way in he... er, heck... that he was returning her new appliance that she had already become so fond of- it was already a part of the family!- and she kept it anyway and they sold the old one for a nominal amount to a neighbor's mother.

So... go check and see if a fuse blew.

The end.

(P.S. If that fails it could be that it needs a new heating element).

:lol:

We had the same thing happen- tumbled around with no heat. Hubby found a video on youtube about how to take apart your dryer, so he took it apart following the instructions. He looked around online and figured out it was one of two parts. He removed the two parts and took them to the little mom and pop appliance repair store, and they tested both of them. It was a $16 fuse that broke. Not bad seeing we bought the washer and dryer off ebay for $150!

Ours did exactly that a few months ago, tumbled but no heat. Since it was only four years old, we didn't want to replace it. We found an appliance repair forum online and got some suggestions; they said it could be one of three things, all of which DH checked, and it turned out to be the element. We were also able to find an appliance store online that sold to individuals (as opposed to selling to repair people only), and in a couple of days, we had the new element here (about $85 -- not great right before Christmas but not horrible either). DH installed it easily, and it's been working fine.

You do want to make sure there are no clogs anywhere, as that can burn out the element, but if it needs to be replaced, it needs to be replaced.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm pretty sure it is the heating element. DH checked the fuses. I'll call the repair company tomorrow. Hopefully it won't cost a bunch to get fixed, although it sounds like from what you all are saying that it's not too expensive. I can live without a lot of things but a dryer isn't one of them, especially in the middle of winter.

I wish I *could* go buy my dream dryer and washer :001_smile: That would be awesome. I'm not too happy with this set, but we got them really cheaply, and up to now they've worked fine, so I shouldn't complain.