Menu

Perimenopause and dry eyes--does it ever get better?

I have been struggling with dry eyes and other perimenopausal symptoms. I can deal with most of it, but am a little panicked about the dry eyes. I NEED to wear my contact lenses--my prescription is pretty severe, and glasses just don't serve as well as the contact lenses do.

Is this a temporary thing, or is this status quo for the next forty years?

Tips? Suggestions?

I have been struggling with dry eyes and other perimenopausal symptoms. I can deal with most of it, but am a little panicked about the dry eyes. I NEED to wear my contact lenses--my prescription is pretty severe, and glasses just don't serve as well as the contact lenses do.

Is this a temporary thing, or is this status quo for the next forty years?

Tips? Suggestions?

Well, I'm 46 and I had problems with dry irritated eyes, especially at night and in winter, for about 3 years. This year I'm fine. Making sure I was hydrated helped.

I thought I had it until I went on a trip. Disappeared. I have allergies in the eyes. Naphcon A (OTC here) every now and then when I first get it really helps. It was scary, though, so :grouphug:

Oh, and check for fumes. When we were varnishing the house (it was a log house) it was TERRIBLE. I was reduced to putting lacrilube in my eyes at night.

Well, I don't wear contacts, so I can't comment on that.

But my eyes turned scary red. I went to my regular doctor who prescribed antibiotic drops. No help. She prescribed stronger antibiotic drops. No help. She sent me to an opthamologist.

He told me I had dry eyes and advised me to use OTC lubrication drops morning and night. I thought he was blowing me off because surely there was more to these scary red eyes than just plain ole dryness.

But I bought the OTC drops and used them morning and night. The red eyes haven't returned. (I have bought various brands. Nothing in particular seemed magical.)

I hope your problem goes away soon.

I can't speak to the contact lens situation, but I have a dry eye condition associated with arthritis so I know what it's like to have dry, gritty-feeling eyes a lot. What works for me is drinking water, taking fish oil (or primrose oil, just some kind of oil) and using lots of Optive, an OTC eye lubricant.

My dry eyes flux with my hormones, plus I have other eye issues that cause similar discomfort. I can tell you what helps:

Use over the counter moisture drops about four times a day, whether you feel the need at the moment or not. You can try the gel or ointment formulas at night (personally I cannot due to my other issue, but it's worth your trying).

Take your fish oil supplements regularly.

Drink lots of water. Add humidity to your envirmonment any way you can.

Watch out it the car. Automobile climate control is the biggest aggravator for me. Try to adjust the blower towards your feet, not blowing on your face.

Warm compresses on your eyelids, maybe in the morning and at bedtime, will stimulate the flow of lubricating oil from your lashes.

It seems to come and go for me. It is really annoying! My contacts are the Accuvue Oasis. There are certain brands that are better for dry eyes, you may want to ask your optician about a switch.

HTH!

Oh, this post is just what I needed. I've been having hot flashes off and on for a few months, and the past two weeks my eyes have been SOO dry. I couldn't even put in my contacts for an hour or so after waking. Welcome to 40, huh?

Thanks for the tips. I will try drinking more water and getting drops.

Thanks for the tips and sympathy. I was dismayed when the dr said this would be status quo from here on out, and even more dismayed when he suggested that some people have to stop wearing their contact lenses. My eyesight is sooooo poor--I do not see well with my glasses on and I don't feel pretty with the thick lenses. :crying:

I'll throw myself into hydrating, taking fish oil, and using eye drops.

I wear contacts, hot flashes galore. I don't have much problem with dry eyes.

Maybe try humidifier in your home too. :grouphug:

What kind of contacts do you wear? Does that have anything to do with the dryness? I wear daily wear.

One of my sisters got the laser treatment on her eyes so she didn't have to do contacts anymore. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips and sympathy. I was dismayed when the dr said this would be status quo from here on out, and even more dismayed when he suggested that some people have to stop wearing their contact lenses. My eyesight is sooooo poor--I do not see well with my glasses on and I don't feel pretty with the thick lenses. :crying:

I'll throw myself into hydrating, taking fish oil, and using eye drops.

Have you seen an ophthalmologist? There are other treatments, but they would need to be prescribed by the ophtho, not your family doctor. And not an optometrist.

Have you cleaned out your inbox? I tried to pm you.

Have you seen an ophthalmologist? There are other treatments, but they would need to be prescribed by the ophtho, not your family doctor. And not an optometrist.

Have you cleaned out your inbox? I tried to pm you.

The dr did mention a prescription eye drop for this. I don't remember the name of it, but he explained in depth how it works. He said once you take this eyedrop, you're on it forever. He said this could be just fine, but advocated first trying to wash my eyes daily with baby shampoo and using OTC eye drops for moisture 3-4 times per day. He also suggested wearing my contact lenses for less hours in the day. He thought that could put off the time when I would need to go on those eyedrops.

I did clean out my message box.

The dr did mention a prescription eye drop for this. I don't remember the name of it, but he explained in depth how it works. He said once you take this eyedrop, you're on it forever. He said this could be just fine, but advocated first trying to wash my eyes daily with baby shampoo and using OTC eye drops for moisture 3-4 times per day. He also suggested wearing my contact lenses for less hours in the day. He thought that could put off the time when I would need to go on those eyedrops.

I did clean out my message box.

Is it Restatis? I remember doc mentioning that (and me not liking the sound of the side effects).

Yes. I didn't remember the name of it when I posted, but yes, that's the drug he mentioned.

What side effects?

I honestly cannot remember specifically, perhaps the it's-forever thing? I just remember my reaction being along the lines of, "I think I'll hold off on that for as long as I can..."

It would be good for you to hear from folks who have actually used it!

I honestly cannot remember specifically, perhaps the it's-forever thing? I just remember my reaction being along the lines of, "I think I'll hold off on that for as long as I can..."

It would be good for you to hear from folks who have actually used it!

Same response here! I don't recall everything the dr said perfectly, but walked away with a sense of needing to hold off for as long as I can without causing more dry eye damage.

Increasing omega-3 oils and decreasing omega-6s can be helpful. You want to get a ratio of about 4:1 or 2:1, omega 6 to omega 3. If you want to see what your ratio is in a day, the site below can be helpful. The omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids will be at the lower left-hand part of the webpage under "Fats and Fatty Acids" after you track/analyze your food and then hit the "save and analyze" button.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I blame everything on perimenopause yet I didn't know my dry eyes could be related to that. My opthamologist recommended an OTC lubricant to use in the eyes but I don't have the problem on a daily basis.

I also get insomnia but it seems to be related to my cycle.

Well, I don't wear contacts, so I can't comment on that.

But my eyes turned scary red. I went to my regular doctor who prescribed antibiotic drops. No help. She prescribed stronger antibiotic drops. No help. She sent me to an opthamologist.

He told me I had dry eyes and advised me to use OTC lubrication drops morning and night. I thought he was blowing me off because surely there was more to these scary red eyes than just plain ole dryness.

But I bought the OTC drops and used them morning and night. The red eyes haven't returned. (I have bought various brands. Nothing in particular seemed magical.)

I hope your problem goes away soon.

:iagree:Same thing! I had horrible bumps and redness. One great eye doc, and my eyes look 20 years younger! One week of Refresh. morning and night. They are like balm to my eyes!!

I would ask your eye doc especially since you wear contacts, he/she may have the exact thing you need.

as to menopause, I have a fan on my desk for my head, and heater by my feet!

All that has been already said. Much of this is a repeat. Sorry. No time to edit.

At Risk

Contact Lens Wearers

Women during and after menopause

People over 60

Certain medications – antihistamines, antidepressants, some blood pressure medications, and birth-control pills.

Untreated Dry Eye Syndrome can lead to:

Scarring

Impaired Vision

EAT MORE

Drink LOTS of water. If you already drink plenty of water, drink more!

Foods rich in Omega-3

Walnuts

Fatty fish (salmon and cod)

Omega-3s help the body to produce more tear layer around the eye, which creates more lubricated eyes

EAT LESS

Limit caffeine

Eliminate artificial sweeteners

SUPPLEMENTS

A good Fish Oil – such as Carlson’s

Omega-3s help the body to produce more tear layer around the eye, which creates more lubricated eyes

Dandelion Root Tea

OTHER TIPS

Blink often

Use humidifier in home if air is dry. Change the water and clean and disinfect tank frequently.

Avoid rubbing eyes

Eye drops labeled “artificial tears”. Don’t get those that are meant to relieve redness or itchy eyes. Try homeopathic Optique 1 by Boiron

http://www.theratears.com/nutrition.htm