Menu

What do you wear in winter at home? Why?

The thread on house temperatures had me wondering about what people wear at home in winter. When I used to visit my parents-in-law in Dallas at Christmas, I always used to have to remember light weight clothes: they never wore sweaters indoors, so the house was very hot. I, on the other hand, had grown up enjoying the snuggliness of winter layers.

Does it feel wrong to you to wear layers indoors? I'm usually wearing three layers, so having the house at 60F feels very comfortable.

Laura

Dh loves, loves, loves the cold & can't handle it when the house is too hot. In the winter, our house is in the low 60s in the daytime, 60 or lower at night.

Around the house in those temps, I'm usually wearing a couple of layers in order to feel warm. I often wear wool sweaters & socks as part of my layers. Dh & the kids, otoh, can walk around barefoot, wearing short-sleeve tees & jeans in those temps. :tongue_smilie:

(Right now, I'm actually wearing snow pants in the house... from being out in the snow earlier in the day. I feel perfectly comfortable in our house in snow pants! :lol:)

ETA: My parents sound like your parents in that their house temp is incredibly warm. I often forget to change out of my 'winter' clothes before heading over to their house & then I suffer because it's like entering the tropics, lol.

Does it feel wrong to you to wear layers indoors?

I don't like to dress in layers at all - I saw your post in the other thread about long underwear, sweaters, turtlenecks, and such.. I would wear that OUT to stay warm (cold winters) but it would all come off and be swapped for pj pants and a t-shirt as soon as I'm in for any length of time. I hate feeling 'snug' in clothes...

I'll wear a hoody or a housecoat over the pj set up.. but they have to be loose & baggy.

shorts and t-shirt

While we are set on heat now with the temperature at 70 degrees (and I'd love to set it lower, but my dh and kids would mutiny), two weeks ago I had to switch us to a/c because it got up to 80 degrees in the house.

The high for today was 40 degrees. I was outside in shorts and t-shirt for about 5 minutes at a time. If I was going to be out longer than that, I would have needed jeans, but I still would worn short sleeves. I found it quite comfortable.

Does it feel wrong to you to wear layers indoors? I'm usually wearing three layers, so having the house at 60F feels very comfortable.

It's HOT here in the summer, so I wear as little as possible then.

My body thermostat seems set to be most comfortable in the heat. Winter is miserable for me.

Heat is on, I'm upstairs, it's 66F. I have on long underwear (silk), blue jeans, socks, slippers, under a blanket. Turtleneck, sweatshirt, heating pad.

So I don't have the third sweater that I've normally been wearing. :glare:

I wear layers, but it probably doesn't matter how many I've got. If I were in your house, I'd be wanting another and I'd still be chilly. :D

I don't like to dress in layers at all - I saw your post in the other thread about long underwear, sweaters, turtlenecks, and such.. I would wear that OUT to stay warm (cold winters) but it would all come off and be swapped for pj pants and a t-shirt as soon as I'm in for any length of time. I hate feeling 'snug' in clothes...

I'll wear a hoody or a housecoat over the pj set up.. but they have to be loose & baggy.

Then put on a coat and snow boots to go out. Today I was collecting kindling and, because I was going to be warm from working and it was a mild day, I just walked outside wearing my indoor clothes. I like being able to step out the door without spending ages getting bundled up.

Laura

Do layers feel uncomfortable? Restrictive? Cheap? I'm not attacking you in any way, just trying to understand.

Laura

I never really thought about it! But restrictive might be a good word. I don't know, I've just always been comfortable in tees and jeans or tees and sweats. Maybe too many layers would feel confining or something. (I also hate wearing jewelry btw).

I wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt, sometimes a pair of socks. I could never fit layers under my clothes even if I tried. I'm not super warm but I'm not going to freeze either. The two older boys (almost 8 and 3) wear a shirt and jeans usually. My three year old doesn't like clothes but you will find him dressed 75% of the time. The lil one (18months) usually IS wearing layers but he gets cold quickly. Instead of turning up the heat for him even more, if we notice him looking like he's been standing outside in the cold we add a layer. Somedays we get away with a sweater, pair of jeans and thick pair of socks. Other days aren't so nice for him but a hat and maybe an extra shirt and he's good to go.

I hate layers. Even if it gets freezing in the house (and our heater did break recently) I refuse to put on layers. I feel smothered with so many clothes on. I'm that crazy person outside in one layer of clothes and a thin jacket and gloves shoveling the sidewalk. I know the neighbors are probably getting a fund together to buy me a winter jacket and some snow boots. :lol:

Tee-shirts and jeans or sweats, pretty much! If I'm chilly I might put a sweatshirt on. I'm really not a sweaters and layers kind of person!

This. If I don't feel like wearing a sweatshirt or hoodie, I'll put on a long-sleeved t-shirt. The only sweaters I have are made for cute or comfy, but not for warmth.

I grew up in New England to cheapskate parents so I got used to wearing lots of layers during the winter. DH keeps the thermostat set to 55 so right now I'm wearing a turtleneck and a fleece pullover. Oldest DD is wearing a sweater, DS is wearing a thermal henley, and the toddler is wearing a hoodie.

We wear sweatshirts or sweaters in the winter, usually with a t shirt underneath. I always tell the kids if they are cold they need to put on warmer clothes. We set our heat at 62 in the winter typically, but one of my twins girlies is very susceptible to cold and her feet and hands turn blue when we are at that temp :confused: so we've had to keep it at 68 this winter.

I'm finding it interesting how many people don't like wearing layers, lol.

I *love* wearing layers & sweaters. I wish I had more reasons to wear my wool sweaters (it's not really very cold where we live). In winter, I'm often in long underwear, jeans, a turtleneck, a wool sweater (or fleece pullover), and boots. The things I can't stand & rarely wear? Long-sleeve tees and sweatshirts.

Laura, like you, I like being able to go outside wearing my 'regular' clothes w/out spending time adding extra layers.

During the day I wear jeans, a turtleneck, a sweater, and socks. If I am sitting for any length of time, I cover my legs and feet with an afghan. I wear flannel pajamas at night.

Most people around here think 68 is the maximum for setting a thermostat in the winter. Many keep their homes closer to 60 degrees and in the 50s at night.

At home, I wear a full set of long winter underwear, heavy sweatpants, heavy sweatshirt (sometimes with a shirt underneath, on top of the winter underwear), heavy socks (sometimes winter slippers, too). If I'm still cold, I wear a bathrobe over all that, which the UPS man thinks is hilarious.

I have noticed that I get rather warm if I vacuum, so I try to avoid doing that.

The kids wear one layer: Jeans or sweatpants, and t-shirts, long sleeved t-shirts, or sweatshirts. Some of them go around in bare feet. If I wear just that, I get cold to the bone, and have to take a hot shower to thaw out and warm up.

Edited by RoughCollie

I find layers particularly difficult when I have a nursing baby--really uncomfortable to try to pull them all up and keep them off baby's face--and I've spent the overwhelming majority of the last 10 years with a nursling, so there ya go :).

I seem to remember using blankets and shawls when I was breastfeeding.

Laura

I keep my house at 63 at night and 66 during the day in winter. I wear wool socks, jeans, an undershirt, maybe another shirt and a fleece zippy jacket.

My hubby walks around in a short-sleeve shirt and complains that its cold. I always smile and tell him to dress for winter.

Edited by Karen in CO

right now I'm in jeans, long sleeved shirt, sweat shirt, wool socks and slippers and I'm shivering. that's because I'm tired though. Which is why I just ate a chocolate cupcake with awesome chocolate icing (that Dd made) with a big glass of milk. *shiver* My hair is up, too which is a big no no for me in the winter. But the teapot is on.

68 during the day and 66 at night. Dh is a furnace and I sleep in thermals and on top of him with flannel sheets, wool blankets, quilts and an afghan. I get cold. Could you tell?

Our house is usually about 70 degrees but it's very drafty. DH will be in shorts and a t-shirt, ds in regular pants and shirt, little dd in nothing but a pull-up/underwear and I will be in sweatpants, socks, warm slippers, t-shirt and hoody or flannel shirt. I'm always cold but I'm the only one in my family. :glare:

Keep in mind that I always the cold one in our house. I normally wear sweats/flannel PJ bottoms/fleece bottoms with at least three layers on top - undershirt/cami, long sleeved t-shirt and a sweater or my fleece robe on top. Then, I usually have on socks and slippers. Hubby usually has on a t-shirt and lightweight PJ pants and girls are comfy on one layer. We keep the house at 65 degrees 24/7 except for occasionally, I move it higher when the girls are bathing. In addition to my clothing, I usually have a space heater blowing on me. I am ALWAYS cold but I just bundle up because everyone else is comfortable.

Our house is older, and we primarily heat with wood (keep the furnace quite low). I usually have on a turtleneck and sweater with leggings and jeans or leggings and longish skirt plus wool socks and fuzzy slippers. If it's really cold, I'll put on a thermal underwear top under my turtleneck. I like winter, I like sweaters and the warm, cuddly feeling they give me.

Does it feel wrong to you to wear layers indoors? I'm usually wearing three layers, so having the house at 60F feels very comfortable.Laura

Where's the choking and dying from claustrophobia smiley?

I'd die, just die, at your house...or at least be very depressed. How can one live with having to choose between being cold or wearing layers? They are both evil.

So, I try to keep the thermostat around 68 (summer) and 70 (winter). For some reason, I can tolerate lower in the summer.

I can only handle so many layers. We keep the house warm, but I still get cold. Right now I have on 3 layers, including a robe. During the day I'll often wear 2-3. I've sworn off turtlenecks though. I usually wear something like yoga pants when I'm at home.

My dh hates wearing layers. It may be a sensory issue and the restrictive part. He has zero body fat and usually wears 2-3 layers at home, even with the heat high.

My ds seems unaffected by the cold and wears a short sleeve t-shirt and track pants most of the time.

The thread on house temperatures had me wondering about what people wear at home in winter. When I used to visit my parents-in-law in Dallas at Christmas, I always used to have to remember light weight clothes: they never wore sweaters indoors, so the house was very hot. I, on the other hand, had grown up enjoying the snuggliness of winter layers.

Laura

Layers here, Laura. I'm usually wearing tights under pants, double socks (I have very cold feet), an undershirt, a shirt and probably a cardigan, sweater or blazer.For one thing, heat is expensive and winter is bitter cold and very, very long. It's easier on the budget to layer and lower the household temperature. For another thing, when you have to go in and out of the house, layers keep your body heat in and help you bear the sudden temperature changes better.

We keep our house around 60°F, too. If layers aren't enough, there are always lots of blankets and throws around for anyone who wants to snuggle more.

Edited by Audrey

During the day the coldest I keep it is 66 - I usually wear jeans/pants and a t-shirt w/ sweater w/ slippers and sometimes socks. The kids never dress in layers and I cannot even get them to keep shoes on- I generally stay warm outside easily even when colder but it isn't the same inside. I need to lower it again to save some money but I am lazy. The kids never complain about being cold but dh always does when he is off so the thermostat is set higher when he is home.

this is me! :D

I can see Canada from my house so we are where it gets cold. I do not have the furnace on. We are running one pellet stove for heat in a house that was built in 1890 with original windows, doors and probably eroded newspapers for insulation. We wear thermals, shirt, sweater indoors.

I can not imagine paying to heat a house to shorts temps in the winter. It won't happen in my house.

We keep our house pretty warm, in order to warm the basement (where the boys' bedroom is located) and the rec room over the garage (the playroom). I start off the day in jeans and a long-sleeved shirt, but I always switch to short sleeves and a ponytail by mid morning because I'm sweating. I never sit still once breakfast is over,, and that keeps me warm. My kids are notorious for kicking off the covers, so we actually turn the thermostat UP at night. The kids wear long sleeves and long pants in the winter.

Our house is 60-65 degrees during the day and 55-60 at night. At 65 I just wear one layer, but at 60 I wear two. Both dh and ds run quite warm so they are usually fine w/one layer.

Besides the cost saving, it just doesn't feel right to me to have a warm house in winter. I spent my teen years in a colder climate and love sweaters and bundling up. I feel like I miss the joy of fall/winter if it is too warm inside!

Our previous rental house was built in the 1920s and we were too cheap to heat it, so it got down to the 40s! Our bathroom floor was actually in the 30s some mornings (geeky dh with a laser thermometer is the reason I know that). We were childless and gone at work and school all day, so we just cuddled up w/our fleece robes and electric blankets at night. Getting out of bed in the morning took quite a bit of fortitude, however

Edited by AndyJoy

We try to save electricity by keeping the house cooler than I (a cold natured person) feel comfortable with. (must.stop.ending.sentences.with.prepositions.;)) Sorry, got distracted...so I am currently wearing fleece pj pants, a tank with a long sleeved hoodie on top, fuzzy socks and my long, heavy bathrobe. I frequently wear this get up all day. It makes for fun times when the UPS man shows up, but I am a quck change artist and can look like a mostly put together person by tossing on a sweatshirt over it (and ditching the bathrobe). If I take off my robe, the kids put it on. :001_smile: