Menu

When you are watching the Teaching Company lectures...

do you ever find yourself thinking things like, "Oh! Dr. Weinstein is wearing a nice tie today!" Or sometimes, "Who designed this set?" I find myself wishing I could rearrange the pictures on the walls behind the lecturers, and the books on the shelves, too. Really, it would be money well spent if they were to hire me. ;)

Maybe y'all are less easily distracted than I?

:D

Sometimes I get fixated on certain mannerisms or other personal traits. My son's history club used the 20th Century course. We could not get over her helmet hair that never moved or some of her mannerisms or the repeated "in other words." (It was an excellent course, but we had to pass the time somehow;D).

Confession: I began keeping count of the number of times Father Koterski uses the word "mindfulness" in his lectures on Aristotle's Ethics. My husband said it was a good thing it was not a drinking game. I would have been, well, not very mindful at all!

LOL. We were bored to tears with the Italian renaissance lectures on video and were paying attention to the professor's ties. The room looks actually quite awful... like somebody's living room.

We have switched to audio lectures which we listen to in the car; we find that we are able to focus much better. I have actually exchanged Dr. Bartlett on DVD for Dr. Bartlett on audio CD and will like him much better this way ;-)

do you ever find yourself thinking things like, "Oh! Dr. Weinstein is wearing a nice tie today!" Or sometimes, "Who designed this set?" I find myself wishing I could rearrange the pictures on the walls behind the lecturers, and the books on the shelves, too. Really, it would be money well spent if they were to hire me. ;)

Maybe y'all are less easily distracted than I?

What! You aren't planning to use the same lace tie-back curtains in your home? I have also often wondered if I too changed my art to match the subject if my children would better absorb the lecture. Or does the clock have to be at 4:10 every day no matter when I am watching? Actually, it may have to be. I think there is some tradition in movies. If it makes you feel better, the minute we turned on Saccio yesterday, S. promptly stated stated that his tug bugged her to no end.

Confession: I began keeping count of the number of times Father Koterski uses the word "mindfulness" in his lectures on Aristotle's Ethics. My husband said it was a good thing it was not a drinking game. I would have been, well, not very mindful at all!

:lol: We haven't had any of those professors yet.

On the side: In the other thread we were talking about video vs. audio. Even though I am not a good listener, I am better able to focus in the audio since I am not rearranging the set. It helps to choose courses with professors who have been NPR regulars.:D

During committee meetings, I often count how many times I hear nouns that have been "verbed" and the term "collaborate." If only it *could* be a drinking game, those meetings!

What! You aren't planning to use the same lace tie-back curtains in your home? I have also often wondered if I too changed my art to match the subject if my children would better absorb the lecture. Or does the clock have to be at 4:10 every day no matter when I am watching? Actually, it may have to be. I think there is some tradition in movies. If it makes you feel better, the minute we turned on Saccio yesterday, S. promptly stated stated that his tug bugged her to no end.

On the side: In the other thread we were talking about video vs. audio. Even though I am not a good listener, I am better able to focus in the audio since I am not rearranging the set. It helps to choose courses with professors who have been NPR regulars.:D

Honey, they really need to let me at those sets. The lace tie-backs need to go. And I'm all for the themes, but please. Let's hang those posters in some kind of logical, pleasing manner, instead of willy-nilly all over the walls in random places.

Today my delightful son had his head down on the table while we "watched" the lecture. "Dear, are you feeling unwell?" No, he just could listen better when he didn't watch. ("But it's such a great tie!" I said. Head up: "Indeed." Head down.) Great. Why did I buy DVDs, then, when I could have purchased the audio download, for crying out loud!

do you ever find yourself thinking things like, "Oh! Dr. Weinstein is wearing a nice tie today!" Or sometimes, "Who designed this set?"

The only ties I've really noticed were Neil DeGrasse Tyson's, because they were always space-themed, but that set — oh my! I would much rather watch the professor pace in front of a blackboard or sit on a desk or at least stand somewhere that looks like a classroom, instead of that cheesy set!

Jackie

The only ties I've really noticed were Neil DeGrasse Tyson's, because they were always space-themed, but that set — oh my! I would much rather watch the professor pace in front of a blackboard or sit on a desk or at least stand somewhere that looks like a classroom, instead of that cheesy set!

Jackie

:iagree: What exactly is wrong with a lecture theatre?

We're watching "Foundations of Western Civ II: A History of the Modern Western World".

I am so sick of that steam train painting, I'm ready to reach through the screen and rip it off of the wall.

We've only completed 23/48 lectures!

We actually like Prof. Bucholz (today, in the middle of discussing the industrial revolution in England, he spouted off "did you know there were over 800 pubs in Budapest alone?!" to point out that not everything was dreary...) We were talking about England, right?

But hey, he alternates between bow and windsor ties.

a