Menu

Handwriting help for an 8yo

mo2

Almost 9yo (yikes!). Her handwriting is not great. She still does a lot of letter/number reversals. Her letter formation starts at odd places. They float all over the line. And don't even get me started on cursive! What is an EASY handwriting to master, with an EASY transition to cursive? I kind of like the looks of HWOT but don't like the paper. Is there something else that we should look at?

I've used HWT for two years now, and I've never used the paper. I bought it; DS used three sheets. He hated it because he couldn't get a mental picture of how the letters were supposed to work around the lines and got incredibly frustrated. I bought a bunch of composition books and used those instead, doing what HWT suggested and putting dots to indicate where the letters were supposed to begin. We did page after page after page of them, and it worked. He rarely reverses a letter now (except for maybe j or z), and usually doesn't reverse numbers unless he's distracted. His handwriting is beautifully legible now, and I am finding that it's not too difficult to make the switch to wide-ruled paper (just have to emphasize the difference between capitals and lowercase letters). Hope you're able to find something that works for you!

I bought copy books on topics or created my own. Finally, it has nothing to do with our instruction but everything to do with practice! I was grumbling a year and a half ago too. Guess what. I can read what she writes and she stays to the lines. (Shhh ... don't mention cursive in this house. We are still working on letter development. Something else the ps has ditched. grrr)