Menu

WWYD (my favorite thread title!)

Would you trade a Nook for a Kindle if you had a Nook?

Would you trade a Kindle for a Nook if you had a Kindle?

(Assuming similar models, wifi for wifi, 3G for 3G, etc.)

I know we've had threads about which is better for which reason, & the differences mostly seem minor, but if you've got one now, do you wish you had the other?

Also, do you think one is easier/more intuitive for non-electronics people? (We got one for my mom in Nov, & she still hasn't figured it out.)

although I am sure the Kindle is great too. I think the Nook is easy to use. I have the 3G kind. I frankly think it is too easy - it's just so easy to keep spending those $10s on a book here and a book there!

And I have a Kindle and I wouldn't trade it for a Nook, although I'm sure the Nook is very nice, too :D.

Two features I really like are being able to read samples of books before I buy them. That has helped me not buy impulsively. Also, being able to scroll up to a word I don't know and get the definition is making me smarter :D.

I find the Kindle very easy to use.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I have my Kindle and wouldn't trade it :D

I can't say if I would trade a Nook in for a Kindle if my DH had mistakenly bought me a Nook due to my limited experience with them. I'm sure I would love the ePub support.

we bought our dd 10 the pandigital Novel for xmas and she LOVES it. It links with B&N and let's you preview the books, which I think is like the Nook but she also loves it b/c she can access the internet and add all her music to it like an mp3 player.

So if I were going to get one, I think I'd go with the Novel, like I bought her.

I have a Nook and a library card from the Free Library of Philadelphia on its way to me (for $15/year). I've already made a list from their site of around 40 ebooks that I want to check out when it gets here, and I'm not even close to halfway through the list of books they have (they have around 4000 ebooks). So that alone makes me very glad I went with a Nook.

And I have a Kindle and I wouldn't trade it for a Nook, although I'm sure the Nook is very nice, too :D.

Two features I really like are being able to read samples of books before I buy them. That has helped me not buy impulsively. Also, being able to scroll up to a word I don't know and get the definition is making me smarter :D.

Well...the Nook can do both of those things, too. :001_smile:

we bought our dd 10 the pandigital Novel for xmas and she LOVES it. It links with B&N and let's you preview the books, which I think is like the Nook but she also loves it b/c she can access the internet and add all her music to it like an mp3 player.

So if I were going to get one, I think I'd go with the Novel, like I bought her.

The Nook has an mp3 player feature on it...I've never used a *real* mp3 player, so I don't know how any of that works, but it's there, along w/ a hole for earplugs. And it's got internet. Not great internet, but it's there. :001_smile:

I would trade them both for some real books. You know, the old fashioned kind. With paper, and binding that comes loose from too much use, and has pages that I can turn back and forth. But that's just me. :D

AMEN, SISTER! I just bought some real books at B&N today. The lady told me she was putting info about the Nook in my bag. I told her that it wasn't necessary as I love real books way too much to turn to technology. :tongue_smilie: This was her response: :glare: (which I thought was surprising since she works at the bookstore).

PS- I have a friend who absolutely ADORES her Kindle!

Usually when I sample a book, I want to read it!

I wouldn't trade my Nook for anything.

I spent a very long time researching it and it is one of my very favorite things in the world.

I use tons of pdf knitting patterns and I love having them on there.

My bookshelves are fabulous after the firmware update and it is very much faster now.

I suppose I should note that I am a huge android system advocate and that in and of itself makes any other reader unappealing.

I also throw tons of formats on my Nook and I would go batty reformatting them if I had a Kindle.

That having been said, I also can't leave anything the way it is and I have my Nook softrooted. Not something you can do in newer models yet, mind you. I have the original 3G/Wifi one.

So it has an insane amount more functionality that a regular Nook.

I can download directly from any of my favorite free book sites via its RSS feed now and it has a notepad feature, a task manager, all sort of things that make it more fun for me to play with. Downside being that it uses more juice but I can live with that.

You can't do that with any other reader.

The Nook also plays mp3's, and it has an external speaker as well as a headphone jack. Actually, most ereaders can play mp3's as well.

I've had my Kindle for a year and wouldn't trade it. I'm not a fan of touch screens. I prefer buttons (see, I am old fashioned :lol:!). I've read tons of books on it (all free--I've got almost 200 books on it and haven't paid for one), pdf files, and listed to SWB's writing series on it. I still use our library for new books that I want to read that I'd have to pay for on the Kindle, and it gives me a "real book" fix.