Menu

if you can't remember directions

teach. repeat. teach. repeat. teach. repeat. :tongue_smilie:

Seriously. I was just telling my dh that I feel like it's groundhog day around here sometimes. I have covered the procedure for figuring LCM and GCF at least 50 times each already and every time, it's like she's never heard it!

Granted she has seizures and her med's have not helped the memory issues any, but it can be so frustrating. . . and equally frustrating for her.

Nevertheless, we just keep plugging away. I have yet to find a magic formula. The one thing I do as an accomodation is provide my dd with a booklet of tables and formulas and other math related things that she often needs to refer back to.

I figure if she can't remember, she at least will know how and where to look it up. She simply can't remember some things. . .it's not a choice she makes and certainly isn't caused by any lack of effort. Thus, accomodations for this specific need are more than reasonable.

Edited by *~Tina~*

Seriously. I was just telling my dh that I feel like it's groundhog day around here sometimes. I have covered the procedure for figuring LCM and GCF at least 50 times each already and every time, it's like she's never heard it!

Granted she has seizures and her med's have not helped the memory issues any, but it can be so frustrating. . . and equally frustrating for her.

Nevertheless, we just keep plugging away. I have yet to find a magic formula. The one thing I do as an accomodation is provide my dd with a booklet of tables and formulas and other math related things that she often needs to refer back to.

I figure if she can't remember, she at least will know how and where to look it up. She simply can't remember some things. . .it's not a choice she makes and certainly isn't caused by any lack of effort. Thus, accomodations for this specific need are more than reasonable.

Thanks! Same thing here. We've been doing division all week, and everyday it's like she's never seen it before. We have to go through each step on each problem. I'll have to get her a notebook and start putting her some tables and things in it. Thanks for hte suggestion!

:iagree:

At nearly 14 ds is hopeless at following instructions with more than 2 steps and he might forget the second :lol: Division took time, so did solving equations when he got a little older. We just keep repeating and keep going.

I taught my son long division four seperate times. Each time he caught on immediately, knew it for a while, and then forgot again.

So - now make sure he understands the concept and let him use a calculator.

Not only that, with his dyscalculia and dysgraphia - there are just too many places he can screw up writing it out - even with graph paper.

So, my next question-- how do I proceed from here? I think I have to accept she's not going to get this right now. But the work that comes after this is building on previous skills learned. The next step is 4 digits/2digits, and checking your work by multiplying back, and prime factoring. It's going to blow her mind. Can we move forward? Do we stay where we are? I hate to do either one, because she's not going to get it right now.

I think, as long as she understands division as a concept, you can move on. My DS is doing fine with the calculator - and understands everything else he is doing. Long division just wasn't worth the fight :)

Perhaps try again in about 6 months?

I think, as long as she understands division as a concept, you can move on. My DS is doing fine with the calculator - and understands everything else he is doing. Long division just wasn't worth the fight :)

Perhaps try again in about 6 months?

Yes, she does understand division, it's just all those steps. We'll just try moving on past it then and coming back later. Thanks!

OK so she's not remembering what step to do, or she doesn't know what to do if you remind her what step? The reason I ask is that our dyslexia tester put in our report that we (or the school, if my dd went to building school) needs to provide a list of the steps for her to refer to as she does things with multiple steps.

Not sure if you'd tried that, but I fully intend to. I wish I would have done the same thing with my non-dyslexic students when it came to long division, because it like to have killed us both.:lol: