Menu

Robinson curriculum and Essay-Assignment

sahm99

I am intrigued by the Robinson curriculum...(must be January blues:lol:)

I have been trying to read all I can about it...short of buying the CDs:001_smile:

Math, one Saxon-lesson per day, makes sense, I get it.

Reading, seems straight forward, too...

What I really cannot grasp is the concept of the kids writing "one page per day"...

What are typical themes? Who chooses?

Are these included in the curriculum?

Are they written across subjects?

How much correction is done by the parent?

How much guidance is given?

And, most importantly, do you have the impression that your kids progress to your satisfaction in writing/LA?

Thank you so much for any insights!

RC also includes two grammar books and upper level textbooks for science -- chemistry and physics. Here is the writing in a nutshell:

The student learns to print and write cursive (there are worksheets for this on the discs). Then, he does copywork (the McGuffy readers on the discs have lots of copywork options) until he can do a good job copying 1/2 page. After that, he writes 1/2 page per day, and he can write on anything he wants, any format, any theme -- it's his choice. Then, he puts his "essay" in the parent's inbox. The parent writes suggestions on the "essay." The student corrects the "essay" and puts it back in the inbox. The student's "essay" may not be returned the next day, but he keeps writing and putting his "essays" in the inbox. Eventually, he writes a one page "essay" per day, and the parent provides input. That's it until the student begins studying for AP courses.

Dr. Robinson did not use a curriculum for writing. The children wrote, and he provided input. It's simple. They learned to write by working on it every day and by correcting per Dr. R's input. I know this is correct because I talked with one of the girls about writing. At least one of the boys did not enjoy writing, but after doing so much of it, he improved. After completing Saxon calculus and the included science textbooks, the children used AP guides to pass dozens of AP tests, including the English and literature. If you take a look at AP study materials, you will see the English and literature guides include lots of information on writing.

Edited by 1Togo

We worked 'Robinson style' for a little while after moving last year. For the writing I just required the kids to write a page or so each day on any topic they liked. It could be related to what they read or it could be something unrelated. It was really interesting what they came up with, and it's amazing what they will start to write when faced with it day after day. Some wrote stories, one wrote out recipes in narrative form so she could put together her own recipe book, one sometimes chose copywork. Sometimes they wrote letters or worked on a series of episodes for a longer story.

I would just mark incorrectly spelled words and require them to fix the words themselves ('the dictionary is your friend' is my catchphrase) and help if there were any other glaring errors. I found it really good.

Even though we are moving on to another curriculum for this year, I am still keeping that basic 'math, reading, writing' structure in my mind. I think there is a lot a value in remembering the importance of the 'big 3'.