Menu

Canned black beans

I love them sprinkled on my salads. Also, you can make a type of taco salad with them. You layer all your favorite lettuces and some chopped red pepper in the bottom of the bowl, dump the black beans on top, pour a cup of ranch dressing thinned dressing mixed with a cup of sour cream on top of that, pour a cup and a half of salsa on over top, sprinkle with cheddar cheese, and then crush some corn chips on the top (I love Target's organic blue corn chils). Let it sit in the fridge just long enough to allow the sauces to kind of ooze together and then serve. We eat this as a one pot, no cook meal.

Faith

Ok, so here's a recipe kinda from a place in town. You have pasta cooked..... I do linguine or bows (farfalle) and then you put warmed up tomatoes (I use the cut up ones with Mexican seasoning) on the pasta... with black beans.... sometimes served with salsa and always sour cream... with Spanish Peanuts on top. I'm not sure if that sounds good... but the flavor is great!!

:)

I serve these with tortilla soup: (from an old post)

I also use canned black beans (Sunvista brand) for a couple of recipes because the consistency and flavor works. I use them to make black bean dipped tortillas. Which is where you quickly dip the corn tortilla in hot oil, and then into the hot beans, fold into quarters, and serve with a little sour cream, avocado slices, and a hot sauce (I like this brand:http://www.elyucateco.com/), I serve these with a mexican soup. I hate to use canned anything but using fresh beans just aren't as good, nor is any other brand of canned beans.

Here's how I prepare them:

-In an iron skillet coat with a bit of oil

-add half peeled onion (bottom half), and a piece or two of garlic

-start to brown

-put in a piece of bacon (we're vegan, so I use Lightlife vegan bacon)

-when bacon is fried a bit, put it in blender

-once garlic is browned and juicy, add to blender

-once onion is blackened and juicy, your pan is ready for the beans

-put one or two cans of beans in blender with everything else (I pour off a bit of the juice)

-blend like there's no tomorrow

-pour into pan

-cook down on low for maybe 20 min., stir occasionally

-turn off and let it set for maybe 15 min.

-remove/discard onion

-squeeze in 1/2 lime

-stir/reheat

ETA: I also use these blended beans (make sure there's less juice so it's on the thicker side) to spread on tortas.

Edited by helena

We love this chicken and black bean soup recipe I got from an old Light and Tasty magazine.

Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Soup

1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed

1 T canola oil

1/2 c. chopped onion

3 garlic cloves, minced

2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) chicken broth

3 cups fresh or frozen corn

1 or 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained

1 T lime juice1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1 can chopped green chilies

tortilla chips and shredded cheese

In a large Dutch oven, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside. In the same pan, saute onion until tender; add garlic and saute one minute. Stir in the broth, corn, beans, lime juice, salt, pepper, green chilies, and reserved chicken. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Top esch serving with tortilla chips and cheese. [i also use already cooked chicken and just skip the part about sauting it. Great way to use leftover chicken!]

I remembered another one. :001_smile:

My husband makes a Jamaican black bean curry. It's yellow rice with a coconut black bean curry. It has fresh ginger, carrot, habanero, and garlic (add other stuff). He serves it with greens and biscuits.

It's so yummy!

This is super easy and really good:

In crockpot, pour:

1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)

1 can whole kernel corn (rinsed and drained)

1 jar salsa

Chicken breasts

S&P, any other seasonings of your choice

I usually put this on around lunchtime and let it cook til supper. Shred chicken just before serving. Its kind of like a soup-type thingie.

Serve with sour cream and tortilla chips.

Black Beans with Yellow Rice

Ingredients (you can use
):

1 1/2 cup chopped onions

1 cup diced green or red pepper

1 cup diced carrot

1 tbl. chopped garlic

2 teaspoon ground cumin

1 can tomatoes (I used stewed tomatoes)

1 can (19 oz) black beans or equivalent amount cooked from scratch

1/c cup water

1 tbl seeded and minced Jalapeno pepper, or to taste

3/4 teaspoon ground tumeric

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

2 3/4 cup water

1 1/2 cup rice (basmati is good)

Salt to taste

Directions:

Saute veggies in a little water until they are golden, about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook for 30 minutes or longer.

Combine spices in a skillet and heat over low heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add water, rice,and salt. Bring to boil, and cook until rice is done (15 minutes for white, about 40 minutes for brown). Serve beans over rice, with some chopped cilantro and yogurt optional.

To clarify, you cook the rice in a seperate pot from the beans.

I was given about 8 cans of black beans, what can I do with these? (aside from bean burritos)

Thanks.

Danielle

Erm, keep them until you need/want to use them. 8 cans of beans doesn't sound like an overabundance IMO- but I try to keep our dry/canned goods stocked. Some weeks DH and I will use a can a day for lunches (some of the kids eat them too).

There's really no need to gobble them all up right away, but if you've been deprived of black beans for a long time have at it :D

Erm, keep them until you need/want to use them. 8 cans of beans doesn't sound like an overabundance IMO- but I try to keep our dry/canned goods stocked. Some weeks DH and I will use a can a day for lunches (some of the kids eat them too).

There's really no need to gobble them all up right away, but if you've been deprived of black beans for a long time have at it :D

Actually, I want to use them up. I tend to keep dry beans and make those all the time. Plus we will be going to the US for a few months, so I would like to use these.

Thanks.

Danielle

What do you use in place of eggs? I like making black bean brownies, but it seems that the baby is egg sensitive.

Ugh, I can't find the recipe now! In my recipe, the black beans were *in place* of the eggs (unlike the recipe I linked where the black beans were subbing for flour, which I didn't even realize when I posted it!)

I know my recipe used one small box of brownie mix, one tsp cinnamon (to mask the bean flavor) and the pureed beans....but I think there was a little more I'm missing (water?). If I can find it, I'll share...

ETA: Maybe this was it? It was very similar if not exactly that.

Edited by amyable