Menu

Recipes needed

that use cornbread crumbs. Large amounts of them. Dh's restaurant had some leftover from their holiday menu and he was told to get rid of them, so he brought them home to me. 9.3 lbs of them. :001_huh:

I'm making a stuffed chicken tonight, with cornbread stuffing of course. And this weekend I'm going to make spoon bread (sort of a savory corn pudding).

Any other thoughts? With recipes if possible! TIA :D

Roll fish in cornbread crumbs and bake. I put onions on top too - seems to work with just about any fish and makes a beautiful crust. Hmmm... you could probably do it with chicken, too.

I also make bread-crumb pancakes that would be good with cornbread crumbs. I stole this recipe from somewhere, but don't remember where....

1 cup flour

1 cup bread crumbs(Plain or with Spices, your choice)

1½ cups milk, scalded

2 eggs, beaten

4 teaspoons baking powder

2 tablespoons shortening, melted

Pinch of salt

Mix the melted shortening and the scalded milk together. Pour over the bread crumbs and let stand until bread crumbs are soft. Add the beaten eggs, flour, salt and baking powder. Mix and beat well. Cook on slightly greased hot griddle on both sides. Serve with Syrup, Fruit or Jam..... :001_smile:

Cornbread salad

The recipe calls for 2 boxes of cornbread mix, crumbled - so I'm not sure how much that translates to.

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 onion chopped

1 bell pepper chopped

2 tomatoes chopped

1 pt. miracle whip (I prefer mayo)

1 tbsp mustard

salt & pepper to taste

1 tsp sugar

Combine all ingredients and pour over cornbread. Stir and chill well. Will keep 1 wk in the fridge.

I didn't expect to like this at all. It was one of my MIL's concoctions and some of those get a little crazy. This was really yummy though. Good with barbecue chicken.

Cornbread salad

The recipe calls for 2 boxes of cornbread mix, crumbled - so I'm not sure how much that translates to.

8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 onion chopped

1 bell pepper chopped

2 tomatoes chopped

1 pt. miracle whip (I prefer mayo)

1 tbsp mustard

salt & pepper to taste

1 tsp sugar

Combine all ingredients and pour over cornbread. Stir and chill well. Will keep 1 wk in the fridge.

I didn't expect to like this at all. It was one of my MIL's concoctions and some of those get a little crazy. This was really yummy though. Good with barbecue chicken.

This one reminds me of that Italian bread salad I saw on 30 minute meals. And we do eat a lot of bbq chicken. Thanks!

Freeze it.

I agree!

Have you ever made cornbread salad? Southern Living has a great recipe for this. It is a layered salad that is prepared in a trifle bowl. Really pretty and tasty. I know it sounds odd, but give it a try!

ETA: Sorry ! I did not read through the other posts, and I see that cornbread salad was already suggested. The Southern Living version is slightly different. It has a ranch-based dressing and also some pinto beans. Yummy!

Edited by Hoggirl

Tamale Meatballs

(40-45 Meatballs)

• 1 pkg. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cans (10 oz.) enchilada sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. diced onion
  • dash pepper
  • 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400º , grease 8" square pan. Blend corn muffin mix, 1 egg and milk until well mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and crumble. Reduce oven to 350º. Combine cornbread, 1 egg, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, salt, diced onion, pepper, ground beef and garlic powder, mix well. Shape into 1" balls and place in 13"x9" baking pan. Bake uncovered 35 minutes . In a sauce pan, heat remaining enchilada sauce. Top cooked meatballs with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts.

We love these Tamale Bites.

Tamale Meatballs

(40-45 Meatballs)

• 1 pkg. "JIFFY" Corn Muffin Mix

• 2 eggs

• 1/2 cup milk

• 2 cans (10 oz.) enchilada sauce

• 1/2 tsp. salt

• 2 Tbsp. diced onion

• dash pepper

• 1-1/2 lbs. ground beef

• 1 tsp. garlic powder

• 2-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400º , grease 8" square pan. Blend corn muffin mix, 1 egg and milk until well mixed. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cool and crumble. Reduce oven to 350º. Combine cornbread, 1 egg, 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, salt, diced onion, pepper, ground beef and garlic powder, mix well. Shape into 1" balls and place in 13"x9" baking pan. Bake uncovered 35 minutes . In a sauce pan, heat remaining enchilada sauce. Top cooked meatballs with sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts.

We love these Tamale Bites.

These look great! I love tamales, and this seems like it has the same flavors, but is easier to make. About how many cups of crumbled cornbread do you get from the corn muffin mix?