Menu

Learning to draw maps without buying a curriculum?

Hunter

The map drawing curriculums look great but are expensive. Scanning samples, it looks to me like there are basic ideas of how to draw a map, that would be applicable to drawing any map. That instead of a curriculum showing how to draw each state/region/country, maybe there is a cheap book (or free download) that teaches a set of guidelines to attempt any map with. Is there any such thing?

I don't know of any map specific curriculum, but the way I was taught to copy an image was to draw a grid over the original.* Then draw a grid on your paper. You can letter or number the grid lines to aid in keeping your place. Then sketch block by block. Using the grid method, it is easy to make the copy larger or smaller than the original.

If your map has longitude and latitude lines marked, you could use those as the grid.

* If the original is worth retaining, use a clear plastic overlay.

We are using the following books and it's working out great!

The Core - The section regarding geography

Draw Write Now #7 - This volume includes the blobs and eventually the continents. I actually really recommend the entire set of these books. They get used a lot at our house. Draw Write Now set

We got our map from this site: http://www.worksheetworks.com/geography/world.html

We started with memory work learning the 5 great circles and then went on to drawing from there.

$30 for the CD curriculum is just too much this month on top of all my OTHER purchases. It does look good, but...I gotta use creativity and not cash a bit more than I have been.

I can skim The Core at the bookstore.

The Draw Write Now books are really sweet. My library has the early ones, but not #7. I'll have to try putting in an interlibrary loan. I'm not sure I know what you mean by blobs and circles.

Are grid or freehand methods the best to focus on as the primary method?

$30 for the CD curriculum is just too much this month on top of all my OTHER purchases. It does look good, but...I gotta use creativity and not cash a bit more than I have been.

I can skim The Core at the bookstore.

The Draw Write Now books are really sweet. My library has the early ones, but not #7. I'll have to try putting in an interlibrary loan. I'm not sure I know what you mean by blobs and circles.

Are grid or freehand methods the best to focus on as the primary method?

Definitely look at chapter on geography in The Core. It shouldn't take long to read. The 5 great circles are the equator, the artic circle, the antarctic circle, the tropic of capricorn, and the tropic of cancer. The "blobs" are when you draw the continents but don't stress too much about the shape, just try getting the blob in the right location. You can use the great circles as a guide for placing your continent blobs. Hope this helps a little.

We're just getting started on this--basically using the geography section of "The Core." Thanks to CindyZ for the world map link. I was just searching for a better one to use last night, but this site looks so much better! I'm going to check out the Draw Write Now book as well.

We are just using The Core's method too. (I also skimmed at the bookstore, I just didn't like rest of the book enough to buy it.) I plan to order Mapping the World with Art later this year for myself. You can get the first 9 or so lessons free, and she even has sample videos on youtube (which is what sold me, some things I can't learn from a book).

Amy

Definitely look at chapter on geography in The Core. It shouldn't take long to read. The 5 great circles are the equator, the artic circle, the antarctic circle, the tropic of capricorn, and the tropic of cancer. The "blobs" are when you draw the continents but don't stress too much about the shape, just try getting the blob in the right location. You can use the great circles as a guide for placing your continent blobs. Hope this helps a little.

This helps a LOT! Thanks.

I like it. :) I've been using the maps from Worksheet Works for a long time myself, but how did you make the text bigger?

I did it in a graphics program (photoshop), but I'm sure you could probably do it in whatever paint type program you happen to have on your computer.

I did it in a graphics program (photoshop), but I'm sure you could probably do it in whatever paint type program you happen to have on your computer.

OK, pretend like you are talking to a technically challenged person. How do I get the map into Paint to begin with? I wish I could just print off the one on your blog!