Menu

making son take Spanish

My oldest will take Spanish at the local CC in the fall as a junior. He isn't excited about it, but is resigned that he needs to do it. He has done SOS Spanish I and is halfwaythrough SOS Spanish II, so he has a good background. Tons of homeschoolers have taken from this woman who is supposed to be a great teacher. The homeschool church recently had a group of 5 kids take it and they made a study group. Some of them were freshman and they did great. Which got me thinking... my middle child will be a 9th grader next year and his best friend is also 9th grade and his mom wants him to take a class at the CC. So I thought the 3 of them could take it together and be their own study group. My friend and my oldest think it is a great idea, but my middle one said, "No way. I'll fail."

To be honest, I was hoping my middle one would go to ps, but he doesn't want to. He is bright and LOVES to read. His work ethic leaves a lot to be desired. I have to be right on top of him checking his work constantly or it isn't done. He has to have a firm deadline. I would like some outside classes with outside accountablilty. He made a 520 on the verbal and 450 on the math SAT as part of the Duke program in 7th grade.

So... would you make him take it with his older brother??? His older brother is shy and I thought it would help him to have 2 people he knows and is comfortable with to take it with him.

Christine