Menu

Do you buy your curriculum used or new?

Nakia

I always buy used unless I absolutely can't find what I am looking for. If I have to buy new I go to Rainbow Resource or Amazon. I would also buy from Christianbook.com, although I haven't. Oh, and I get some Evan-Moor stuff from a local homeschool store. I have never been burned buying used, but I also make sure that I only buy here and from people who have been around a while.

Tara

I buy both new and used. New (and usually from amazon, sometimes from RR or other places), if it's not available used, if the used price is very close to the new, or if it's something I know I'm going to want to keep for years and years. Amazon's sales, 4-for-3 promotions, and free shipping often make them the most competitive place, comparable to, or sometimes cheaper than, used.

I've bought used for things that were really good deals, or when I didn't care so much about the condition. For super cheap, I'll tape a book back together if need be. I personally have bought from ebay, half.com, and homeschoolclassifieds, plus amazon's used marketplace, and I've never had a problem; usually I am pleasantly surprised that a book is in better condition than I expected. I've also used personal paypal and other payment methods with no problems at all. However, I've also not bought anything super expensive that way; usually the used items I've bought are well under $20 each, so if I get burned, it's disappointing but not the end of the world.

Where are people getting all of these great deals on used books? Every time I comparison shop I find I won't save more than a couple of dollars (if at all). I imagine there might be more savings on something like a Sonlight core program since one cannot buy that just anywhere. But otherwise, really am I just looking in the wrong places?

I have this problem too...Most used items I see are too close to the price I would pay to buy it new...If something cost $50, I won't buy it for $45 used...Or buy a $10 item for $8 used...Too close to the retail price...Now if I am saving a significant amount of money, great...But a few dollars may not be worth getting something in not so good condition, or an older version of something...

I buy some things used if I catch a good deal, but I prefer to buy new...Especially for something I have to continue to use...

This applies only to books, curriculum, and stuff like that...I have a house full of used furniture :tongue_smilie:

I'm very fortunate to have access to a great homeschool consignment store locally, which is where I buy and sell most of my materials. I also haunt the used curricula sales we have here in the spring/summer (usually there are 3 or 4 from various homeschool groups). There are still things I've had to buy new (and a few of those my mil bought for us because she liked them so much:)). We've had good results from Paperbackswap, but the issue is waiting for the book you want. I did buy used through Amazon once and through a private person here on the boards once (private message, not sale board) and no problems either time.

My biggest problem finding used is that we use secular curricula, so those can be a bit harder to find in some subjects, especially used. Also, as my daughter gets older, I get more selective, so it's harder to find exactly what I want rather than something that will do.

In our 8 years of homeschooling, I'd say I bought about 90% used. I only buy new if I can't find something used, or can't find it in decent condition. I see no reason to pay full price. The exception is if it's a book I know we'll keep for a long time. I buy most of my used items on Ebay, half.com, or Amazon, since they all have ways to resolve a dispute. I've also bought locally from people on a local hs yahoogroup. And I've recently started buying and selling stuff here.

I only have one child (and I knew by the time he was school age he'd be the only one), so I don't have to worry about an item lasting for years. We use it, I sell it, then use that money to buy the next thing we need. And if I buy and sell everything through paypal it doesn't even feel like I'm spending real money. :lol:

I only had one problem over the years, and after going through the dispute process, paypal refunded my money. ETA: I also had someone dispute what I sold once too. That's not a good feeling when you know you were honest and someone thinks you weren't. Rather than risk being labeled a bad seller, I just refunded her money even though I thought she was in the wrong.

Sometimes the savings is only a few dollars, but I'm one of those who believes in making every dollar count. A few dollars for each book, for 13 years of homeschooling (if we go all the way through high school), ends up being a fairly significant savings in my book.

Edited by floridamom

I try to buy used, but usually for BIG things like my HOD packages. (Which I just bought from someone on here... not anticipating any problems) When I can save $100 or more by buying a package used, it makes it worth it. I usually buy my paperback books from Amazon since the difference between a used and new is only a dollar or two. Not worth the hassle.

This is our first year and I bought new. For one thing I wasn't really aware of all the places you can go to get used stuff. For another, it all felt relatively inexpensive to me compared to what we were paying in private school tuition. :) It's all about perspective. For all our books and supplies and even stocking up a schoolroom, I spent about one and a half months (we had to pay tuition for 10 months out of the year). That doesn't even take into account what we were spending on uniforms, lunches, etc. I've thought about buying used for next year, but we'll see. I read a lot of bad experiences people have had buying or selling used curriculum online, and that makes me hesitate.

I used to spend hours searching for deals, until I realized my time was money.

It typically takes me 15-20 minutes to determine where I'm going to buy something. I check the publisher's website, RR, Amazon, half.dot com, and ebay. Sometimes I'll check Books-a-Million and Barnes & Noble to determine what the price would be with my educator discount. I do a search, so the item either comes up or it doesn't.

I'm a comparison shopper by nature, so I guess it spills over into shopping for school items too.

It typically takes me 15-20 minutes to determine where I'm going to buy something. I check the publisher's website, RR, Amazon, half.dot com, and ebay. Sometimes I'll check Books-a-Million and Barnes & Noble to determine what the price would be with my educator discount. I do a search, so the item either comes up or it doesn't.

I'm a comparison shopper by nature, so I guess it spills over into shopping for school items too.

Ok. It takes me longer, so I don't do it. ;)

I read a lot of bad experiences people have had buying or selling used curriculum online, and that makes me hesitate.

But there are so many more good transactions, you just don't hear about them :bigear: People also have bad experiences with amazon or other distributers too. No way is perfect!

(I buy used ;), as much as possible!)

I usually buy new, but recently purchased a few things here on the SS board and have had great results. I also have a local HS store that sells new and used that I have bought used from. I hae bought a couple of things through another website, but havent gotten them yet so I hope I dont get burned.

I have been mainly ordering from christianbooks or amazon though.

I buy a mixture of new and used. I buy a lot of used books at the library book sale - for example, over the course of two years, I found a complete set of "What Your X Grader Needs To Know," which I find particularly useful for short social studies readings. I also buy from online used book stores; I'm using "Children Just Like Me" all year, and I got it for $4 including shipping. I have a World Book Encyclopedia I got from my local library for a $50 donation.

I also use the library extensively.

But I don't hesitate to buy things new, when that seems like the best option.

• 4 weeks later...

I buy 90% of my books used. It's the bargain shopper and book lover in me. I can't stand to pay $20 for a book when I could have bought that book and three others for the same price. :D

I make a wish list in the spring each year, and then check it off as I find bargains over the following months. I've bought a lot here, on Veg Source, Homeschool Classifieds, Amazon, eBay. I also really LOVE browsing used curriculum sales in person. I've picked up some real gems that way, and have tried curricula that I now love, but probably would never have purchased otherwise.

One caveat I'd offer when buying used, as has already been mentioned is to make to sure to ask questions about what you are buying, especially about the condition of the books, whether they've been written in, and editions if that's important to you. In all my years of buying used, I've only been burned by actual scammers once or twice, but I have ended up disappointed a few more times by receiving items in different condition than I expected or earlier editions than I realized, from sellers who meant well. Especially with consumables, used to one person means shelf wear and to another means half the pages are written in. And, as a seller, I can appreciate that you often do not realize that a new edition of a curriculum you no longer use or never ended up using, has been released. When I'm selling, I'll disclose the edition if I know it's been updated, but sometimes I honestly didn't know. So now, when I'm buying, if the edition is important to me, I always ask before committing to buy.

I do a combo. I buy used when I can for the savings. Sometimes, I have to buy new if I can't find what I want used and I want the item now. Buying used helps me have the $$ to put towards extras.

:iagree: I plan my year early. I spend a couple of months looking for what I want on used curriculum sites. At a certain point I quit looking and put in my order for what ever I didn't find and all the consumables at Rainbow. Then I'm mostly done for the year. I've never been burned buying used. So sorry you have been! I will probably keep buying used till it happens to me.

I buy used as much as I can, but I rarely buy big ticket items, so even if I did get burned, it wouldn't be a huge loss. I don't buy whole cores because I can piece things together on my own for so much less. I never have had a bad experience with buying used, though. I do find that even the low priced things that I have to buy new (spelling workbooks, etc) do add up quickly. I've been listing what I need for next year and can't believe how much it's adding up to considering that I'm using so many things that I already have on hand.

Both new and used. I've never had a problem buying used. I've bought whole WinterPromise themes used (in fact just completed a transaction here on the Sale board for next year's) as well as smaller purchases. I've bought some things new when I couldn't find a big enough discount to make it worth my while to buy used (Teaching Textbooks).

I like to buy used when I can find what I'm looking for. I will look for my items until the curriculum fair. If I can't find it used, then I go to the curriculum fair and buy new or buy new online.

I have only ever had a few minor problems buying used like someone sending me a book that smelled horribly of smoke, but for the most part, I have had good experiences. I'm thankful for the places we can buy and sell used because it makes homeschooling more affordable for us.

I prefer to buy used when I can find it and when it's a good deal -- at least 25-50% off new. Otherwise I buy new at Rainbow Resource, Amazon, or manufacturer sites. I don't mind putting in a little time comparison shopping. I've had almost 100% positive experiences buying used online, it just takes a little more time and the books aren't shiny brand new... I can usually live with that for the savings which adds up since we go through a lot of books/curricula around here! It also makes me happy to help another homeschooling family out.

My personal pet peeve is manufacturers/publishers selling their own books at full MSRP plus outrageous shipping costs and long shipping times... I want to support the little guys but sometimes they do not make it easy!:tongue_smilie:

Edited by RanchGirl