Menu

I love Singapore math!

Yesterday, I was reviewing ds15's PSAT questions and answers. He did pretty well, but what surprised me was that some of the questions were like Singapore 4B or 5A questions. I kept thinking that ds12 could do them easily! There was one problem where the length of a rectangle is 3 times its width, and its perimeter is 840 yards. They ask for the length of the rectangle (so the student has to solve for width, and then multiply by 3). Ds has done so many multi-step problems that this would not be hard for him. I love Singapore math!

I am happy with it too. At first I thought that I had made a mistake, as I was having issues with holes, we started in 3a as he had passed the placement test (just) But we got stumped on division. I tried MM, and that was not working as well, so I caved and bought 1B instructor guide and text, where they first introduce multiplication, division and fractions. (we plan on using for dd, so I was okay with the money) It was great, ds totally got it. So we bought the same of 2a and B. We are just going through what 3A assumes that you know having done the program. It has made all the difference. We are now flying through it and ds loves it.

I think that it is hard switching mid year. If anyone else was thinking of doing that I would recommend that they try younger editions for holes they find. I found this chart, that helped me to see what books first introduced our problem areas.

I am happy with it too. At first I thought that I had made a mistake, as I was having issues with holes, we started in 3a as he had passed the placement test (just) But we got stumped on division. I tried MM, and that was not working as well, so I caved and bought 1B instructor guide and text, where they first introduce multiplication, division and fractions. (we plan on using for dd, so I was okay with the money) It was great, ds totally got it. So we bought the same of 2a and B. We are just going through what 3A assumes that you know having done the program. It has made all the difference. We are now flying through it and ds loves it.

I think that it is hard switching mid year. If anyone else was thinking of doing that I would recommend that they try younger editions for holes they find. I found this chart, that helped me to see what books first introduced our problem areas.

Yes, it is hard to switch into Singapore. We did Saxon K-3, and took some time off to review the basics using library books and workbooks. Then we started 3A in 4th. We haven't caught up to grade level yet, but it has been a wonderful experience. Usually ds12 likes it, although sometimes he complains about challenging problems. I feel like he is learning math at a deeper level than his brother did with Saxon (although Saxon was a good program).

I like the way Singapore starts with an easy concept, and expands on the application of the concept. For example, they will teach how to find the area of a rectangle, and then a figure made of multiple rectangles, and then a rectangle with a rectangle taken out, and then word problems that use this knowledge. Some of the challenging problems really make you think- very much like the PSAT (and presumably SAT) problems.