Menu

Logic question

Ok, I do not know if this belongs on the high school board or the Logic board so I figured I would start here :001_smile:

Introductory Logic by Mars Hill Press- is that a good follow up to Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox?

Having read the logic conversations over the years on this board (let's see...that is probably about 9years worth. LOL!), I would say that a larger percentage of families prefer Traditional Logic to Introductory Logic, but the group is divided. I think some actually do IL and then follow up with TL, but I don't think that is the norm. I do think IL might be a bit easier for a junior high student to use. I waited until 9th grade to do TL. Both would work as a follow up to FD and TT.

I just could not get into the IL DVDs. They sat on my shelf. TL is not fun and exciting, but it is logically written (pun sort of intended) and it does teach the basics of a high school class well.

My son tells me he wishes his college classmates had taken logic in high school. He also tells me that it was the most useful class he took in high school. LOL!

FWIW,

Jean

Edited by Jean in Wisc

Ok, I do not know if this belongs on the high school board or the Logic board so I figured I would start here :001_smile:

Introductory Logic by Mars Hill Press- is that a good follow up to Fallacy Detective and Thinking Toolbox?

Yes. Our usual progression is to move from TT and FD in the middle grades to formal logic in the late middle/early high school years. Intro to Logic covers logical fallacies (as I recall), but there is little redundancy. FWIW, we also prefer Traditional Logic to Intro to Logic (having done both).

HTH,

Lisa

Piggy-backing... About Traditional Logic... Do the dvds add anything? I've seen conflicting opinions, so I'd love some "whys" behind your experiences one way or the other. Ds has done Critical Thinking Book 1, The Art of Argument, Fallacy Detective, and Argument Builder (halfway through), so I'm thinking we could do Traditional Logic 1 and 2 next year?

Piggy-backing... About Traditional Logic... Do the dvds add anything? I've seen conflicting opinions, so I'd love some "whys" behind your experiences one way or the other. Ds has done Critical Thinking Book 1, The Art of Argument, Fallacy Detective, and Argument Builder (halfway through), so I'm thinking we could do Traditional Logic 1 and 2 next year?

Yes, you should be ready for TL.

I like the DVDs for ME. I especially like it for child 2 & 3--it gave me an overview of what the next chapter was, I could listen to it with the child while doing handwork or dishes or... and it would remind me of the main points that would help me grade and answer questions for the next chapter. The kids can do it without the DVDs--although a child who learns by hearing and struggles with reading would be a very good candidate for the DVDs, or if the child needed extra reinforcement to grasp the ideas. Most kids could do it without them.

I wouldn't do them without the DVDs.

Another option that my ds used in 8th grade was Critical Thinking by Critical Thinking Press. It covers much the same material as the others mentioned.

Julie

This is secular, yes? Would you recommend it as a good place to start for hubby and I? Could this be what I've been looking for, reading logic threads for the past two or three years? (Ok, I'm getting dramatic now...)

Rosie

This is secular, yes? Would you recommend it as a good place to start for hubby and I? Could this be what I've been looking for, reading logic threads for the past two or three years? (Ok, I'm getting dramatic now...)

Rosie

Yes secular, and yes a good starter course. It covers quite a bit of ground, but still uses examples that are easy and sometimes goofy.

Ds did it with his book club but we went over most of it together at home. It's the kind of thing that is funner to do with someone (like your dh).

Julie

Yes secular, and yes a good starter course. It covers quite a bit of ground, but still uses examples that are easy and sometimes goofy.

Ds did it with his book club but we went over most of it together at home. It's the kind of thing that is funner to do with someone (like your dh).

Julie

Oh I could kiss you!

(Being dramatic again, I'm not the kissy type)

There's a second book too, is that worth it? If I'm going to buy, I like to combine postage...

:)

Rosie

Rosie , I haven't seen the second book. We plan to do the Bluedorn books next. I think those have even more interactive lessons (tho not secular of course). Truth be told, although I feel it's a worthy study, I find logic dry and annoying at times, so I look for tidbits to make it funner wherever I can.

Julie,

Who knows "funner" is not a word

Oh I could kiss you!

(Being dramatic again, I'm not the kissy type)

There's a second book too, is that worth it? If I'm going to buy, I like to combine postage...

:)

Rosie

Edited by Julie in MN

• 2 weeks later...
Another option that my ds used in 8th grade was Critical Thinking by Critical Thinking Press. It covers much the same material as the others mentioned.

Julie

Is this it?

I would love to find something to use after the wonderful Logic Liftoff series that's secular.

Piggy-backing... About Traditional Logic... Do the dvds add anything? I've seen conflicting opinions, so I'd love some "whys" behind your experiences one way or the other.

The dvds are dry but enable the student to have someone provide a lecture of the material and walk through some of the exercises with them. If you can provide that, then the dvds are not necessary.