Menu

Curious: why use multiple math programs?

CarrieF

I have noticed on several signatures and in reading several threads that some of my fellow homeschooling Moms are using multiple math curricula with their dc. Being completely NOT math minded (language/literature/history ALL the way for me!), I am curious as to why one would do this. It would never have occured to me to do this as math just isn't my "thing" so now I'm wondering if I'm missing something or overlooking something. :001_huh: I have not done extensive research on the signatures, but it seems like many use Singapore and something else or Math Mammoth and something else - maybe totally random and just coincidence?!

Anyway, I would love to hear from those who do two (or more!) math programs and the 'whys' for you, too. :001_smile:

I use Singapore and A Beka with my oldest. He's very "Singapore minded", in that he thrives on the conceptual nature of the program and the mental math, he is a "mathy" person. But, I find that Singapore focuses on just one thing per chapter and goes in depth. Which is great. But... I also kind of want DS to get a little more breadth, and A Beka supplies that on a more regular basis. Singapore is his primary math program, IOW, we use that mostly, but I throw A Beka in there, too. It's like 4-5 weeks of Singapore, then 2 weeks of A Beka.

As a former multiple math program user, I believe that the majority of the time, it's a sign of an insecurity about teaching math--either about one's own ability or about one's ability to discern what makes a rigorous and complete math experience.

ETA: To clarify, I'm referring to using two or more full math programs in their entirety. Supplementing is a different thing.

Edited by EKS

I just use one.

I think some people figure they need to supplement various subjects because they want something more rigorous or they think (or fear) that there will be gaps in one.

I consider myself a more relaxed/eclectic schooler rather than a particularly rigorous one so I'm not big on supplementing lol- I don't want a lot of busywork, I like that we can accomplish a good amount in a day without it taking all day.

As for gaps- well... gaps in what? What they're learning in public school? Who cares what they're learning in public school (I say). Who remembers most of what they learned in public school anyway? And our public schools aren't exactly doing so well to begin with. So I'd rather do my own thing than worry overly much about following along with what the school district is doing.

Gaps in what they might need to pursue whatever their higher education or career path is? That would be an understandable concern, I suppose. But I figure I don't need to use two math curricula (or language arts or any other subject) in elementary school, or even middle school, due to that concern. When the kids get older and know what they want to pursue in life and what its requirements will be, we'll deal with it then and do our best to meet those requirements. If in the end that means they need some sort of extra program or extra tutoring or whatever because the math program I used in third or sixth or eighth grade didn't cover it back then, we'll address it when we need to (and I'll hazard a guess that an older student motivated by something they want to do with their life will learn what they need to faster than that same student would have done years back when I was going "you need two maths just in case!" anyhow).

Please note that I'm NOT trying to "knock" other peoples' choices, and I do apologize if it comes across that way. Sincerely! I'm just explaining my own mindset and why I don't feel it's necessary for me, or for new homeschoolers to start worrying about whether they are doing enough and whether they should be using yet another math curriculum or whatever...

...sometimes this board can make you question whether you're "doing enough" even if you were totally confident that you were before you got here. Heh. I love a lot of the people and topics on these boards, but I'm conscious of having to be careful of not allowing it to make me feel like I have to start piling more and more on to be doing "enough." It's like a domino effect around here lol.

My kids are happy, learning, and having fun. My evaluator is happy with what we're doing each year, my district is accepting it, nobody is stressed, frustrated, miserable or hating school, so I figure we're doing something right. For us.

Annnnnd with all that said (ready to hear me sound like a hypocrite? haha) I do plan to OFFER "Life of Fred Fractions" to my daughter on top of "Teaching Textbooks 6" next year. Not because I think she needs two math programs. But because I thought Life of Fred sounded fun and interesting and I loved the concept, so I figured based on that (and the fact that neither that nor TT are overly time consuming in and of themselves) that I'd buy it to check out and see if she liked it.

If it holds her interest and she enjoys using it and it helps reinforce concepts, great!

However, if it stresses her out, she dislikes it, we find it too time consuming to do both or anything along those lines, I would drop LoF and just continue with TT (which my daughter enjoys doing and which works for her).

Every once in a while we do come across something here that sounds fun/good enough to try, and when that happens, I'll offer it. But I won't allow it to become too overwhelming or insist on it. We both enjoy our one main curriculum and that's what we stick with for the most part.

Nance (who again apologizes if anything she said here came across as offensive or judgmental as she didn't mean for it to)

Edited by NanceXToo

I haven't found the perfect math program yet. I like the puzzle aspect of MEP, the "hands-on" aspect of Right Start, the CWP and IP problems of Singapore, and Maria Miller's excellent explanations in MM. If I could get all of them in one curriculum, that would be ideal. But in the meantime, I pick & choose.

I use one main math curriculum (Singapore) and supplement in the summer with Life of Fred. During the year, though, we are only using Singapore. My boys are very mathy and don't seem to need additional programs. We did spend time drilling multiplication facts outside of the Singapore program (which is an expectation of the program). If at some point my kids don't "get" a concept with Singapore, I will feel free to reach for a supplementary program to cement the concept.

My main program is mastery. It will cover, for example, time and not come back to it. By using multiple resources, topics get covered more frequently.

And when dd hits a tough spot, we can hang out there with all of our resources and approach it different ways. Or, I can use something different so that we are covering a different math topic while the tough topic simmers in her brain. Sometimes dd needs more practice and sometimes she needs a break from it.

I would supplement for 3 reasons:

1. For review of materials learned, so it will stick and not forget.

2. If the main curriculum is not enough and students needs more practice.

3. If the student need to see a different approach that will help understand the lesson.

Blessings,

Lei

This is our first time doing it! We use Math U See for my 3 elementary kids 5th/6th) about 45 minutes a day

and TT Geometry for my 9th grader

AND

ALEKs (on-line)for all! 30 minutes and no more!! If they are really good, some times I (insert wink) let them play longer!

BUT this is the best reason!

When they are in the core class (the spine) and go, "Oh I get it now." I smile and think, they got it on their own! That is priceless.

I also like the way everything is all in one place with ALEKs, and it is independent, but I still have hands on fun with the spines!

I use Math Mammoth as my main program. If I only had time for one, that's what I'd do. I feel fully confident that Math Mammoth provides a complete math education and would be absolutely fine alone. I don't have any insecurity about math (math geek here - I think calculus is fun). I think most of the folks I see using multiple programs are similarly math geeks with math geek children. ;)

I add in MEP for fun because a) my son loves math, and b) it has the puzzle aspect that's a bit different from MM, so it makes my son think about things from a different perspective. It also helps slow him down, because I don't want him to get so far ahead in math that he completes pre-algebra before he's mature enough for algebra.

Is MEP necessary to add? Absolutely not. With MM alone, he'd be getting a better education than the average traditionally schooled child, I'm sure. :)

As it is, doing "2 math programs" (and really, I don't do full MEP - I just hand him one worksheet that has 4-5 problems on it - we don't do the lesson plan or anything like that), we're finishing all our school work for the day in a very short amount of time. Even with a LONG break in the morning to play outside and/or run errands (like a 2-3 hour break), we're done with school for the day by 2pm usually, including independent reading time and read-aloud time. So it's not like he's doing a ton of work. That extra MEP worksheet takes about 5 minutes.

I would liken it to using multiple history spines. Let's say you read history from SOTW and CHOW, to get a different perspective on history. You're essentially using "two history programs", are you not? :) Or if you use a bunch of different living books, trying to get various perspectives on some event in history, that's what the math geek people sometimes like to do with math.

When my middle ds was little and was asked why he was doing something, he would say, "Because I want to, I can, and I won't get in trouble for it."

For me asking why we do more math than simply what is in the textbook is sort of like asking why would you read your child a bedtime story when he already read earlier in the day.

Until this semester we have used Saxon as our spine text. Now we are using some other things until we begin Algebra 1 in the fall.

We use Kumon math. It is not a complete program, but a mastery approach drill supplement. My youngest has always used Kumon for his drill work instead of the drill component in Saxon.

We are using Hands on Equations. It is not a complete program, but a fun extra.

As you can see, we have spine text, drill, and fun extra. It is like your child having assigned reading, free reading, and a book that you are reading aloud to him.

HTH-

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN

I asked this question years ago and was told by several posters that they supplemented just as they would supplement any other subject. But for me, I had never even considered supplementing one math program with another, and yet here I am this year, using several programs to try and round out my son's math learning.

He has some holes and gaps and is extremely forgetful when it comes to math. One program is mastery,Moving With Math (similar to Math U See) and the other is spiral, CLE, which we are using very behind grade level, but it meets the need of spiraling and not letting him forget previously learned materials.

In a perfect world, I would love to eventually only be doing one math program, but until we find some kind of balance and my son catches up, this is as good as it gets. Oh, I forgot that I also add in the occasional worksheet from Mastering Mathematics. Sheesh...

:confused:

I use multiple math programs because I'm indecisive. Even though I know my kids will get a decent math education with any one of my math programs, I like each of them too much to give any of them up. They all fit together like pieces of a puzzle. With only two young kids, I also have the luxury to spend extra time on what ever subjects I choose, and I choose math and English.

BTW, in the past semester, I've use a mix of RightStart, Miquon, Hands-On-Equations, Math Mammoth, Singapore CWP, online math worksheet generators, and two iPhone math drill apps. I ended up making a mess for myself because now my daughter thinks that her regular math is too easy, but I still have no regrets.

I don't have any insecurity about math (math geek here - I think calculus is fun). I think most of the folks I see using multiple programs are similarly math geeks

I didn't address the "math insecurity" issue in my first post, so I will agree with this. I have an engineering degree. I've taught up through algebra. There are things about every program that I have problems with. So, we keep multiple things around. I listed 3 programs, because it would be false advertising if I only said " We use Singapore and dd understands everything and tests 2 grades higher." That gives too much credit to Singapore, when I also use these other things.

I used a mastery based program with my oldest DD. I was always told, "gifted kids don't need repetition, just mastery". She aced everything along the way, and it is now all missing from her prepubescent brain when it needs to be there. She learned the concept, memorized how to work the problem while on that section, tested out of the water, and then after a while it disappeared from her memory. Now that we are hitting complex problems where she needs that recall she is struggling and her self esteem is in the toilet. It doesn't help that her cousin is visiting this week. He is now ahead of her, in a gifted program that uses, drumroll... Saxon. :banghead:

I have another DD who at this stage is very similar, she does great with SM, but her twin needs repetition. My DS uses everything because he breezes through. After the agony I am going through with my current DD years down the road I will not use only a mastery based program with my DC, and since I'm not willing to completely give up on Singapore yet, we use two programs.

In the mean time I am stuggling to come up with a plan for my oldest DD. :confused:

Edited by melmichigan

It is like your child having assigned reading, free reading, and a book that you are reading aloud to him.

HTH-

Mandy

Okay, THIS I get! You are "speaking my language" using the book reading comparison. ;) However, I would NEVER consider ADDING IN extra MATH to be doing "FUN extras!!!" :lol: I work very hard to have a positive and upbeat attitude about math so that my kiddos pick up on that, but as far as doing more just "for the fun of it" not gonna happen in this house. LOL Another thing to love about this board: different approaches and helpful attitudes! Thank you all for helping me to clear this up.

Now that we are hitting complex problems where she needs that recall she is struggling and her self esteem is in the toilet. It doesn't help that her cousin is visiting this week. He is now ahead of her, in a gifted program that uses, drumroll... Saxon. :banghead:

I have another DD who at this stage is very similar, she does great with SM, but her twin needs repetition. My DS uses everything because he breezes through. After the agony I am going through with my current DD years down the road I will not use only a mastery based program with my DC, and since I'm not willing to completely give up on Singapore yet, we use two programs.

In the mean time I am stuggling to come up with a plan for my oldest DD. :confused:

OKAY, this brings up another math question I keep coming upon: what is the DEAL with Saxon math?! People either L-O-V-E it or H-A-T-E it (from what I can tell.) I have yet to talk to a mom of an elementary user that likes it, but once the DC get to middle/high school it becomes golden. Math people, PLEASE weigh in! Since math is not my forte, I REALLY need to choose well! :001_smile:

...sometimes this board can make you question whether you're "doing enough" even if you were totally confident that you were before you got here. Heh. I love a lot of the people and topics on these boards, but I'm conscious of having to be careful of not allowing it to make me feel like I have to start piling more and more on to be doing "enough." It's like a domino effect around here lol.

Nance (who again apologizes if anything she said here came across as offensive or judgmental as she didn't mean for it to)

Oh, NO! I hadn't even been WORRYING about not "keeping up!!!" Now I have to worry about that TOO?!?! :lol: (Totally kidding! I know exactly what you mean!) Just couldn't resist. ;)

I started using two math programs (Singapore and Horizons) because my very math ds was tearing through Singapore PM a little fast for my taste and Horizons added in some consistent review for him. It did slow him down a bit but now I see that he's getting the benefit of two different styles of math instruction. I do use SM as my main teaching program, though. I later added Miquon to fill my ds's need for math exploration (and fell in love with it).

Now, I'll be using all three in some capacity with my other dc whether they're math or not. We'll just adjust the pace as needed.

FTR, I'm very comfortable teaching math. I tutor high school and college level math so it is my favorite subject to teach my dc.

I am a die-hard Rod and Staff math user and lover. Both my girls do great with it, and I can't sing its praises enough. That said, I felt like my oldest needed to see math in a different light, so to speak. I heard so many rave reviews about Life of Fred, and after another homeschool mom (MamaT) let me see her LOF books, I ordered the first two for Anna. She LOVES them. We do R&S Mon-Thurs, and LOF on Fridays for fun.

As a former multiple math program user, I believe that the majority of the time, it's a sign of an insecurity about teaching math--either about one's own ability or about one's ability to discern what makes a rigorous and complete math experience.

ETA: To clarify, I'm referring to using two or more full math programs in their entirety. Supplementing is a different thing.

Hmmm...I wonder if that's true. We started off using Rightstart and MEP - the full curriculum for each. We eventually dropped MEP and I am a lot more confident than I used to be, but we dropped it because we started hating it once we got to the second half of Year 1, rather than because I felt more confident....at least I think that's why. Heck, it's sometimes hard to know your own internal motivations. lol Now I use Rightstart as our main program and I supplement with all sorts of things - lots of different things. Next year I will have Rightstart and Math Mammoth, but I'm not sure which one will be our main program. I don't believe we'll do two full programs, but we'll definitely be doing one and supplementing. Interesting theory.

We supplement because:

• It's nice to get things from a different perspective

• Rightstart doesn't have lots of word problems and DD loves word problems

• RS doesn't have enough review unless you add the practice sheets, but they're not visually appealing and that matters a lot to my kid

• I wanted to cover things that I don't think RS covers well enough for first grade

• Sometimes she just needs a day to do something different

• Sometimes we need a short lesson for that day and the RS lesson would be too long

I think that's it. The biggest thing is having more than one way of explaining something - different perspectives are very important, and while I can think of lots of them, I'm not always sure how to explain them. Yes, that even happens to me in first grade math sometimes. :001_huh: I have no good explanation for that.

My oldest is a mathy visual-spatial learner, and on the flip side he's not a parts-to-whole learner and he shows signs of dyslexia that can show up in his math work, depending on the format.

With him, it's a balancing act of feeding his strengths and working through his weaknesses at the same time. There is not one curric that does this for him...and I've tried a few.

We use two or three programs at a time. I see it as adding another tool to the *math toolbox*. Hopefully later down the road they will come in handy when he needs help with a difficult problem. I wish I knew what is considered a perfect "classical" math program, but since I'm not sure there is one, we're giving it our best shot at working with things that get those brain cells working. That's my goal in the long run anyway.

We also use two math programs (Singapore and Horizons). My reasons are because I like using the two different approaches. Also my big girl is an aggressive math learner so using two programs slows her down a bit. We use Singapore as our spine.

I do have MEP printed out and have used that as well for fun.

whiney, fickle kids.

(we are in a bit of a math power struggle right now)

also, maybe i have a non-mathy kid, but most math programs aren't complete enough for her. saxon was the most complete we used followed by EPGY which just needs a little bit of hands on supplement for my 6 year old.

For me asking why we do more math than simply what is in the textbook is sort of like asking why would you read your child a bedtime story when he already read earlier in the day.

:iagree:

My 4.5 year old is using Miquon orange and Singapore 1B. Singapore is fun, Miquon is fun. Why should she miss out on either?