Menu

Program Recommendations

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good beginning piano book for an older child. In other words, one that won't be too off-putting for an eleven year old. I play the piano myself, but I'd like a book to guide me. My primary goal (for now) is for him to learn to read music, become familiar with musical terminology. I also happen to think that playing the piano is a great tool for improving hand-eye cooridination.

I am also interested in a typing program for a beginner. There are several that come up when you do a search, but I'm always skeptical about free things, and I'm a nervous downloader.

As always, thanks for any advice!

You might get better piano suggestions from piano teacher sites.

From what you said you're looking for, maybe Alfred's Basic Complete Level 1. Bastien has an older beginner method as well. There are zillions of methods; those are just two of the most commonly used traditional ones.

I've been using Celebrate Piano! and Alfred's Premier with my two kids. I like Celebrate Piano! better because there is less book juggling. But Alfred's is less childish looking overall. Your son would likely move really quickly through the first book of those, though.

Anyway, I'm no expert. Just wanted to give you a response. Out of curiousity, what did you use to learn? I self-taught for several years out of whatever piano books my friends had at their homes. By the time I finally got a piano and lessons, my teacher just had me play classical music while desperately trying to fill in the gaping theory holes.

Julie D.

I took lessons for eleven years as a child. All of my old books are gone, though, and I don't really remember what we used. I could just browse in the music store, but we live in a rural area and there isn't a huge selection. I figured the internet would be a better option, but it's a little harder to judge things that way.

As far as typing goes, I'd like for him to learn to type properly, not just hunt and peck. He dislikes writing, and I think learning to be a good typist might be a real benefit for him. I had typing in high school, but I also can't remember how I actually learned to type.

I'm a lot of help, right?

I paid for the typing program my son is using; so I'm no help with that.

Have you browsed at sheetmusicplus.com? I've had good success ordering there. You can see samples of some of the music, and there are some reviews as well. Just looking through the names of the piano methods might spark your memory.

Julie D.

I paid for the typing program my son is using; so I'm no help with that.

Have you browsed at sheetmusicplus.com? I've had good success ordering there. You can see samples of some of the music, and there are some reviews as well. Just looking through the names of the piano methods might spark your memory.

Julie D.

I don't care to pay for a program as long as it's a good beginning typing course. What one do you use?

I don't care to pay for a program as long as it's a good beginning typing course. What one do you use?

We used BBC's free Dance Mat Typing to start, but when they needed to increase speed I got Typing Instructor (they have two versions - for Kids and Deluxe; I think they just have different games). That worked great.