Menu

Splitting up kids' studies

momto2Cs

Background - My kids are two grades (and 21 months age-wise) apart. I have always combined them for history and science.

However, because they have divergent interests and very different learning methods/levels, I am thinking of splitting them up for fall. My ds, who will be in 5th grade (eek!) is very capable of more independent study, while dd needs more hand-holding. I think they might also enjoy studies that are more targeted to their interests. I am thinking of putting together my own versions of WP's Sea & Sky for ds and Children Around the World for dd, and blending in science.

How many of you split up your children's studies, or do you all combine to save on time? How well does it work for you to split them up, and how do you organize it all? I am just thinking here, and still pretty unsure. Thanks!

Edited by momto2Cs

My guys are 23 months apart and I split them up this year for science and read alouds. They are so very different in personality and learning style so I needed to adjust things. It has been wonderful. I wish I did it earlier. I didn't find the need to separate them for history though. I too made up my own curriculum for history and science. You can see how I approached science this year here. I am doing the same topic with both of them, but using different resources.

One of the best things I ever did for the three of us was to split them up. Working together was driving us all crazy. My oldest was further ahead and capable of more independent work, my youngest needed more hand-holding and the days were just so awfully long and stressful.

Now they each have their own pile of work and time with me. I work with my oldest first whild my youngest plays or does educational computer games. I go over what my oldest is to do, review the previous day's work and sent her off to work.

Then I am able to concentrate on my youngest. Everyone gets done about the same time and is happy with the amount of attention they get from me.:001_smile:

One of the best things I ever did for the three of us was to split them up. Working together was driving us all crazy. My oldest was further ahead and capable of more independent work, my youngest needed more hand-holding and the days were just so awfully long and stressful.

Now they each have their own pile of work and time with me. I work with my oldest first whild my youngest plays or does educational computer games. I go over what my oldest is to do, review the previous day's work and sent her off to work.

Then I am able to concentrate on my youngest. Everyone gets done about the same time and is happy with the amount of attention they get from me.:001_smile:

:iagree: Toss in another child or two, and likely a bit more chaos ;), and this was us. We work separately now. It's much more peaceful, and nothing gets dropped. :D

I just made the switch to splitting everyone up for history and science in Dec. and so far it's much better. I did it to accommodate one child in particular, but all children I think benefit.

I purchased SOTW3 on CD and that helps for history. Most of them listen to it on their own. My littlest guy doesn't.

Pretty much my 4th grader is adding in some Logic stage stuff to prep him for that. My 3rd grader just does SOTW3 with me asking comprehension questions afterward and a narration once a week.

My 7 y/o just listens to SOTW and then I discuss it a bit with him.

My 5 y/o just reads books with me. I choose them from the SOTW AG. My 7 y/o also sits in on these books.

For science they are all pretty much following the Elemental Science, but I do different books for each of the different levels. I just go to the library and find books at each of their reading levels that has similar information to the spine. I use the spine for one of my kids. This may change as we move into Chem. and there aren't as many books available.

Overall, we're still getting used to it. My hardest part is following up with everyone afterward (remembering to do this as it's a new thing for us). The best part is my poor little K'er gets things at his level and my 4th grader can read more challenging things.

I split mine....it's easier to do two separate levels that fit each one than do one level and have to spend time tweaking for each child. I have 4 kids and each will be on their own level. HOD leads the oldest into more independence so as my time involvement goes up with youngers, it's going down with olders. It balances well. Plus we get some great one on one time we otherwise wouldn't have.

I have girls, 2 years apart (5th and 7th). While most of their work is separate now, I like to keep them on the same TOPIC in history, and we do some read alouds together. Otherwise, we would have very little opportunity for discussion. Also, staying on the same topic/era in history makes my job easier, even if the assignments are different.