Menu

I thought I'd never say this...but...

Mommee & Baba

I think we've outgrown MEP. We started using MEP when my kids were in Preschool and they LOVED it! Then we continued. We're now doing Yr1 and Yr2 and frankly I'm so OVER this math. I thought I'd never say that but I am over it! The kids are getting bored and with that comes problems and alot of frustration. I'm getting kids that use to LOVE math and being excited over it to now look at the walls and only partly pay attention. Now alot of this could be because we're trying to do school when their toddler brother insists on being heard and insists on trying to "help"...however with the other subjects they are more engaged.

Also a fault of mine is that I'm not doing the FULL lesson practices and hands on that the teachers book suggests because I'm dealing with a toddler....so should I just take a breathe and start doing the full lessons, instead of trying to just do 1 or 2 examples and move right into the workpage??? Is that the problem you think? Or should I look into a more "FUN" math?? and if so where do I even begin on looking??

Thanks!

I'll complete MEP this year with the kids but I'm wanting something new for next year I think...But how do I figure out what level of anything to get the kids based on what levels they are doing in MEP?

Sorry for all the questions!

If this helps at all...

My Kinder is doing Y1 of MEP which teaches her Months of the year, Time, Addition and Subtraction.

My Second Grader is doing Y2 of MEP which teaches are SOME measuring, Multipication and Division.

Edited by mamaofblessings

I have a couple times and kept going back to MEP because we already know it..but I'm at the point now where I want something else for us for next year no matter what. MEP is nice and firm and grounded BUT it lacks "fun"..the activites are fun in the beginning levels but I can see already in Y2 where the fun part goes away and more of the get down to business examples come into play. Does that make sense?

Thanks for posting!

I use Math Mammoth as my main curriculum and add MEP worksheets as "fun", without going over the lesson. My son seems to like MM better even though it doesn't have anything"fun" about it in particular. The nice thing about it is that it can be done semi-independently. I explain new concepts if needed, then get the toddler out of something, explain the next section, deal with a whiny 4 year old, explain another section, get the toddler out of something else...

There are games incorporated sometimes, especially in 1A.

If you want manipulatives type fun, Right Start might be what you want to look at, but many people don't like it past B or part of C.

Well, I've only used MEP in one way, and that is with all the lesson plans, and using the copymasters that go along with them as needed. That said, I also use CSMP, and it is very *fun* for us. It can be done without printing all the teacher's guide, as long as you have a dry-erase board and markers. It requires time to teach, so that may not be your best option.

I usually link to this article when someone wants something different for early elementary math. You could teach to both children, only going further into the concept for the older child. I would imagine after working through all of the things on the list you would easily be ready for third grade math. It would certainly not require the expense of a new math program or text. A dry-erase board and markers and some of the cheap supplies listed in the article should help you get through the year.

I think after much thought that my main issue was leaning AWAY from the lesson plans and only doing the worksheets. When we were doing the lesson plans AND part of the worksheet it was ALOT more fun! I have the ENTIRE year for EACH child printed as far as the lesson plans and the worksheets. So having those on hand isn't the issue. It's more like I just didn't grab the teachers book and I should've been!

I think that I'm going to continue with MEP this year but ACTUALLY follow through with the lesson plans as well as do some of the worksheet.

However with that said I'm highly considering MM next year with some MEP work here and there. I feel sad....(is that even ok to say...:lol:)that we're pulling away from MEP. I felt that I needed to get to the work and get them to get it done then get back to my toddler and ignoring all the fun stuff that MEP once brought to us.

Thanks for allowing me to post this and being my sounding and advice board on this particular subject. Sometimes having a toddler with 2 school aged children is far more challenging that many talk about and I got so caught up in "let's just get this done"....instead of "let's have FUN and LEARN at the same time"....

Thank you all! :grouphug:

Anything that is a LITTLE bit more independant would be NICE. That's a big challenge here right now.

Thank you!

I'm gearing towards MM as someone said it's a little less teacher dependant. Now I love having school time with my children but I am with them with their reading, science, history and writing....so it'd be nice to NOT have to be so dependant on me for each problem...but I think alot of that has to do with their insecurities with getting the problems correct or incorrect.

So although I'm going to continue MEP this year using the Lesson Plans and focus on "getting the lesson" rather then making sure the worksheet is completed...next year MM it is I think. Unless we get the MEP love again the remainder of this school year.

We love MEP around here, but we combine it with Singapore and Miquon. I do agree that the "fun" and a lot of the meat in MEP is in the teacher's notes--do the lesson plans if you can! We have found them to be worth the extra 10 or 15 min. MM is nice for a change, too. I downloaded the very generous sample pages, and that has been a nice (and independent) way to help mix it up. It was well worth the download time, even on my very s l o w dial up connection. :)

We are using Math Mammoth this year and it is "fun" for us in that it is mentally challenging to master. Just when you think you have it, the problem changes just slightly to make you think some more. My son stays mentally engaged the entire time without going into the automatic mode. It is very satisfying to master something that was challenging for a while. I have analyzed and explored over 6 math programs and I just love this one! It is a good fit for us!!

I'm like a flopping fish over here...

I just sat down and read through the lesson plans and I'm wanting to just curl up into my naughty mommy ball!! Why did I stop with the lesson plans??? :glare: I just wish I didn't do that! I've turned math into a CHORE for us all and from the beginning of our math days it was fun! And now it's like a sluggish event...I'm whipping out the lesson plans tomorrow and it's going to be straight hands on...maker board...number magnets....I think we'll do ONE part of the worksheet and do more of the engaging hands on stuff!

This is why we loved MEP. I guess I needed to hear from you ladies to get me going like I was in the beginning. :auto:

I use to wait to do Math until the toddler was napping but by that time I was so worn out and OVER the frustrating morning of chasing him around and trying to do our lessons that I think instead of doing L.A. first thing of the morning I'll have my youngest do her Kumon writing sentences workbook while I have my dd7 and I work on her math...then when she's done I'll have her do something she's able to do independantly :confused: and work with dd5. All the while chasing my very spirited ds2 :001_huh:..

I'm whipping out the lesson plans tomorrow and it's going to be straight hands on...maker board...number magnets....I think we'll do ONE part of the worksheet and do more of the engaging hands on stuff!

This is why we loved MEP. I guess I needed to hear from you ladies to get me going like I was in the beginning. :auto:

Thank you for posting your plan - I've been needing to _____ (something - make it real, explain it better, I don't know) math with my DS8 and to challenge my DS6. I used to stress out about the worksheet, but I think I'll try making the worksheet secondary. Schools been boring lately, this might be a good turning point. Thanks!

Amy

• 2 weeks later...

We've dropped MEP altogether. We love it dearly but the lesson plans are essential and that takes time and that we are short on...

We've decided to switch to MM where there is NO teacher's book and the worksheet itself is fun and engaging. We'll continue to use our math tools to help understand it better but this I think is a great switch.

MEP will stay in our home because I will use it for ds when he approaches the age where he can do the YR because that is such a fun level in MEP! :)