Menu

Book A Week folks - ? When you don't love the book

Do you quit abruptly, knowing it won't "count" towards your total and now you are "behind" for next week? Stick it out and say, "At least I read it." I abandoned some books last year during the challenge and at the end of the year, I was disappointed that my total was not better.

This 29 Gifts book I'm reading...:glare: Good concept. Bad author. She's so immature and silly and now I feel like I'm wasting my reading time finishing this book when I could be moving on to something more worthy.

I am hoping The Other Queen gets better - so far I am very unimpressed. I'm not concerned with reading 52 books in a year - I real A LOT! Because I read so much, unless it gets worse I'll probably finish it, but I will start reading something else as well, so it will go very slowly.

For your self, you may want to keep track of books you don't finish as well as those you do finish and just make note of why you didn't finish and how far you got. :001_smile:

Do you quit abruptly, knowing it won't "count" towards your total and now you are "behind" for next week? Stick it out and say, "At least I read it." I abandoned some books last year during the challenge and at the end of the year, I was disappointed that my total was not better.

If I don't like the book, I ditch it (even if affects my book count :lol:). Last year, there were lots of books I started & didn't finish :tongue_smilie:. I'm sure that just the amount of pages I read in the unfinished books would equal a couple of novels worth of reading.

But, I don't want to waste my time reading just to get to a certain #. I'd rather read something I can enjoy & appreciate. Life's too short for mediocre books!

[quote name=Stacia;2333358

But' date=' I don't want to waste my time reading just to get to a certain #. I'd rather read something I can enjoy & appreciate. Life's too short for mediocre books!

Absolutely!

And just to add, it isn't a contest, it is simply a social means of sharing your reading and discovering new titles. If I've gotten more than half way through a book, I still count it. There are no "52 books" police who are going to check up on you! :tongue_smilie:

There are weeks I don't read, there are weeks I have 3 books going. Read what you can, report books you hate and decide for yourself what to count.

I have a 50 page rule. If I'm not enjoying the book and still can't get into by the 50th page or for huge books 100 pages, then I quit reading it. I do count it and just mark it as a dnf (did not finish) Sometimes it is my mood and if I go back to the book later, may find I actually like it. And then there are some you just know there's no hope for it.

There are no hard and fast rules. If you abandon a book and you want to count it, count it If you've given it 50 pages and it just isn't getting any better, then I say abandon it and go on to something better. Don't force yourself to read something simply for numbers. I certainly don't want the challenge turning in to a drudgery and turning folks off reading.

my 2 cents! :)

Oh, thank you all for giving me permission! :D I do think I'm going to finish this particular book, because I've read more than half of it and it's not hard to read, but I did need permission (sort of) to record a book title, even if it was DNF (and I'm going to use that!).

If I don't like the book, I ditch it (even if affects my book count :lol:). Last year, there were lots of books I started & didn't finish :tongue_smilie:. I'm sure that just the amount of pages I read in the unfinished books would equal a couple of novels worth of reading.

But, I don't want to waste my time reading just to get to a certain #. I'd rather read something I can enjoy & appreciate. Life's too short for mediocre books!

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I would love to be able to read one book a week. Sometimes I do read more. But usually I read less. So I may very well not be able to fulfill the entire challenge, and that's fine. After all, this is not a school assignment. This should be fun and enjoyable. :lol:

I have a 10% rule with books. If the first 10% doesn't engage me, I quit or sometimes leave it for maybe a few months down the road to try again. But usually the former. :D