Menu

I need a self-directed, independent spelling program

SandKsmama

for my 10 year old boy. Is there such a thing? He is a TERRIBLE speller - did 3 levels of AAS with me; improved a bit in the beginning, and did pretty well during actual spelling lessons, but those spelling skills never made it into any of his other work. (even when we ask him to slow down and think, there is no improvement). Our schooling situation has changed a bit, and my dh is in charge of his school day - thus the need for something independent.

Anything workbook based would be independant. Our favorite one here is Evan Moor's Building Spelling Skills Daily Practice. There are 2 sentences for dictation on Day 2 that need an adult other than the weekly test. Of course, Spelling Workout is a great standby. We don't like the paper they print on...sensory issues. MegaWords is great for htis age, as well. I am not sure how independent that one is.

for my 10 year old boy. Is there such a thing? He is a TERRIBLE speller - did 3 levels of AAS with me; improved a bit in the beginning, and did pretty well during actual spelling lessons, but those spelling skills never made it into any of his other work. (even when we ask him to slow down and think, there is no improvement). Our schooling situation has changed a bit, and my dh is in charge of his school day - thus the need for something independent.

He doesn't care. You aren't going to see much improvement with any program if he doesn't want to try. Ask me how I know, and no it isn't the kidddo's. :D

I would say either find a way to motivate him, or drop it for now.

Heather

I'm going to recommend School of Tomorrow's Word Building Paces. He can work independently and there is a lot of practice with the words. It isn't just spelling, it's word building. This will include dictionary work, prefixes, suffixes, sentences, and so on and it's all self contained in each individual pace.

You can test him in here: http://aceministries.com/assessments/

scroll down, log yourself in, and start the Word Building portion of the test.

And (((hugs))) to you! I have been there. I have a son who went through three levels of Sequential Spelling and 8 levels of Megawords and still misspells "beginning" :lol: and many other words incorrectly. Just keep trying. I tell my son that if anyone ever dares to come up to me and blame me for my son's poor spelling, I'm going to throw all of his completed workbooks at them! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

I have been considering this too....my younger one wants the phonics program, but they are two separate programs right? I mean in terms of cost????

We too have tried several spelling programs. I thought Sequential Spelling to would easy, but when they can't spell the root word, the -ing or -ed ending doesn't matter!~

It is only my oldest, the middle son seems to be a natural speller.

Dawn

I have been considering Click N Spell for my kids. There is a special at the co-op - https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/index.php?option=com_hsbc_epp_order&Itemid=1159

It is all online and self-directed. Hands-off for the teacher. ;)

I have been considering this too....my younger one wants the phonics program, but they are two separate programs right? I mean in terms of cost????

We too have tried several spelling programs. I thought Sequential Spelling to would easy, but when they can't spell the root word, the -ing or -ed ending doesn't matter!~

It is only my oldest, the middle son seems to be a natural speller.

Dawn

My 5 year old and 3 year old LOVE Click N Read Phonics! I actually bought Click N Spell this morning after posting what I did earlier. I LOVE things that teach without me having to give constant attention. I have 6 kids I am homeschooling here so I need all the help I can get. ;)

I half-way agree with Heather, but that hasn't stopped me from banging my head against the wall myself (handwriting is/was our issue). So:

Wow -- Megawords looks really good

So impressed with Megawords!

HTH!

After a semester of Megawords with my bad speller, we have seen little improvement. The only improvement I would say we have seen has been in syllabic awareness and an improved ability to divide words correctly.

I am of the opinion that unless I really sit down with my poor speller and work those rules into his brain and drill him tons, his spelling is not going to improve.

Our 7 yo really enjoys Click'n Spell and is doing well with it. However, it didn't start to work well for him until after he completed Dance Mat Typing. When he was having to look all over the keyboard for the letters, it was too much to process and was frustrating. Now that he has some basic keyboarding started, Click'n Spell is working great.

He is also working through Type to Learn at the same time. Type to Learn isn't spelling, but putting keyboarding and spelling together is working very well. I remember that my own spelling improved when I learned to type, because my fingers became a sort of kinesthetic cue to remembering how to spell words.

Thanks everyone - anyone else?

We are using Rod and Staff spelling. The lessons are short, the workbook is self contained and self directed, I do very little with it other than have them read the words to me at the beginning of the wk and then dictate the words to them twice a week. I answer questions if they have one and score their work when they are finished at the end of the day. The best is I have seen an improvement in both of my kids spelling. It is pretty inexpensive too.

I'm going to recommend School of Tomorrow's Word Building Paces. He can work independently and there is a lot of practice with the words. It isn't just spelling, it's word building. This will include dictionary work, prefixes, suffixes, sentences, and so on and it's all self contained in each individual pace.

You can test him in here: http://aceministries.com/assessments/

scroll down, log yourself in, and start the Word Building portion of the test.

And (((hugs))) to you! I have been there. I have a son who went through three levels of Sequential Spelling and 8 levels of Megawords and still misspells "beginning" :lol: and many other words incorrectly. Just keep trying. I tell my son that if anyone ever dares to come up to me and blame me for my son's poor spelling, I'm going to throw all of his completed workbooks at them! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

Deeinfl :001_smile: I'm going to check this out for Joshua, thanks.

Ok, I am looking at the Homeschool Coop discount as being $37.49 but it says EACH.

Here is a better deal:

Use coupon code CKIDS2011 from now until the end of January and get 20% off your total price AND it allows you to pay in payments if you need to. Use this on the main site.

For 3 kids doing Click N Spell the total, with the coupon code, is showing as $29 for the first child and $14.95 for each additional child.

It works for Phonics too.

Dawn

Edited by DawnM

Ok, I am looking at the Homeschool Coop discount as being $37.49 but it says EACH.

Here is a better deal:

Use coupon code CKIDS2011 from now until the end of January and get 20% off your total price AND it allows you to pay in payments if you need to. Use this on the main site.

For 3 kids doing Click N Spell the total, with the coupon code, is showing as $29 for the first child and $14.95 for each additional child.

It works for Phonics too.

Dawn

Actually it is only $11.95 for each additional kid you add on the co-op. I know because I ordered it for 2 kids this morning.

Ok, thank you! I couldn't get it to tell me the additional children without putting in all my info and I didn't want to fool with it.....I just saw the "EACH" and thought, HUH?

So, my way is $58.30 and the coop is $58.90.....my way can save you a whopping .60 cents! :lol: Although if you are only doing one child, it will save you over $7.

Dawn

Actually it is only $11.95 for each additional kid you add on the co-op. I know because I ordered it for 2 kids this morning.