Menu

The new lead laws are really messing up my decluttering efforts.

I loaded my car with a bunch of games and puzzles yesterday, and was told by the guy at Goodwill that they no longer take them. Seriously? Cardboard puzzles? Card games? DVD games? What am I going to do with this stuff now? I refuse to throw them away, and I've given as much away to the neighbors as they'll take. Gah. :glare:

Check other thrift stores if you have them. Our Salvation Army wouldn't take games or toys, but our Goodwill would.

Some of the stuff that I couldn't give away I put in a box and put in the attic. We moved and I hope the next resident either has children or likes to look at stuff in attics. :lol::lol: I have romantic visions of the children discovering a treasure box. In reality they might throw it all away, but at least I tried.

Guest RecumbentHeart

I was wondering what the deal with this was because that would seriously affect my decluttering also! Thankfully AmVets is still picking up my stuff and hasn't changed any of their request info on their mailers so I keep sticking stuff on the curb for them. Hopefully I can get all the junk out before they all quit taking it -- if only the clutter would stop multiplying!!

How do the thrift shops even know what's being donated half the time? I know ours just gets tonnes of big black garbage bags filled with stuff - I've taken my own stuff down there that way. Clothes, toys, books, it's all just mixed in big bags.

The Salvation army in WA we took stuff to would open the bags and hand it back if they saw children's stuff.

How do the thrift shops even know what's being donated half the time? I know ours just gets tonnes of big black garbage bags filled with stuff - I've taken my own stuff down there that way. Clothes, toys, books, it's all just mixed in big bags.

The Salvation army in WA we took stuff to would open the bags and hand it back if they saw children's stuff.

Wow. That would cause no end of frustration for workers and donators here - there are sometimes several vehicles lined up with bags, furniture, etc etc to drop off and people would get very annoyed if they had to sit there waiting for their stuff to be gone through... and they just don't have the staff there to do it either.