Menu

Have you seen this news story

Sky News is carrying the story of a man who held his daughter captive in a a cellar for 28 years. During this time he forced her to have seven children - three of whom were kept in the cellar with her.

I cannot imagine that anyone can be this sick. It is utterly disturbing.

I read it in our Hong Kong paper. I was thinking about what would have happened if he had died (he was in his seventies). Would his daughter and her children have starved to death in the cellar? The article I read seemed to suggest that the wife knew nothing about it, although that's hard to believe.

Laura

I was thinking about what would have happened if he had died (he was in his seventies). Would his daughter and her children have starved to death in the cellar? The article I read seemed to suggest that the wife knew nothing about it, although that's hard to believe.

I wondered about that too. The article says the father was the only one with the code to the secret door. The mother must have been suspicious of something, but could one ever bring oneself to believe that such an atrocity is happening? He must have been pretty clever at explaining things away - like the three children on the doorstep.

I wonder how people turn out like this. I just wish I could crawl into his head. My father was pretty abusive and I saw baby pics of him for the first time several years ago. I just stared at those pics and wondered what happened?? So, I know it sounds odd, but when I saw the pic of that man, I pictured him as a baby or toddler and really felt for his mother.

I wondered the same thing, what would have happened if he had died. I thank God that the whole situation was discovered. Now I think praying for the daughter and those children is in order.

I am exhausted emotionally from this story. It's so, so sad.

I saw the headline but couldn't read much past the first paragraph of the story....it made me too sad. Stories like this made me stop watching the news and reading papers when I was pregnant with my first child seven years ago...alas there is still the internet and I get sucked in.

Diane