Menu

Making yogurt in a crock-pot

I just made this last night for the first time! I do have a yogurt maker but it makes such a small amount and you have to cook the milk first anyway so it was kindof a pain. I do use raw milk so I don't know if that makes a difference. I started it in the afternoon and left it out all night. It was perfect this morning! I'll definetely be making my yogurt this way from now on!

I did, but a little differently. I started with this recipe:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2009/10/how-to-make-homemade-yogurt-2/

but instead of the cooler, I used the crock pot as a way to keep a water bath for the jars warm. I had to keep checking the temperature of the water to make sure it didn't get too hot.

Don't worry about it. Yogurt is difficult to ruin- the only hard part is keeping it at a good temp for a long time and the crockpot makes that easier. I especially like using the crockpot to heat the milk so I don't have to worry about it burning or boiling over like I do on stove. Give it a try.

I'll be making up some of our own yogurt this weekend! And it'll be the first time so I'll come back and post on how it turns out! I'm super excited because we eat yogurt several times a day and I'm tired of all the junkie yoplait yogurt!! I didn't realize how AWFUL it is for you?! Until I read online. :gasp: So glad that you posted this because it reminded me to get the ingred. on my shopping list this weekend!

So ladies, how do you store it?

I'll be making up some of our own yogurt this weekend! And it'll be the first time so I'll come back and post on how it turns out! I'm super excited because we eat yogurt several times a day and I'm tired of all the junkie yoplait yogurt!! I didn't realize how AWFUL it is for you?! Until I read online. :gasp: So glad that you posted this because it reminded me to get the ingred. on my shopping list this weekend!

So ladies, how do you store it?

I'm going to use a used quart yogurt container until I find something permanant I like.

I was making Greek style yogurt. I had to try three times before I got it the way I wanted it. I think I had to lower the temp and duration of my high temp cook phase, otherwise it separated too much, and lengthen the duration of my low temp culture-growing phase. I also remember adding powdered milk to the milk before I cooked it to increase the casein content.

I couldn't wait! I just got back from the store a couple hours ago and I've got the milk in the crockpot now....then I'm going to follow the directions and cross my fingers it comes out! Because I only got 1/2 gal of the whole milk not thinking it has a possibility of going terrible...:lol:

I did pick up frozen...strawberries, peaches and blueberries all no sugar added. To allow us to add them in as we dish our yogurt. I do have the powdered milk on hand in case I need that for thickening purposes.

I do this once or twice a week and have been for about a year. I use raw milk and the texture is a bit runnier than with conventional milk, but the taste is phenomenal. I grew up with a mom who made homemade yoghurt all the time. It works every time, and if it does come out a little too runny, you can always strain it. I know some people add in a packet of gelatin to make the texture more like store-bought, but I haven't tried. I also let mine ferment for up to 18 hours because I like to have most of the milk sugar "digested".

I am trying something new tonight because it is really chilly in my house - I read somewhere that if you place your crock pot on a heating pad on low or medium during the ferment phase it keeps the temp more even and results in thicker finished product. So, I have had mine on a heating pad on low for (what will be) 7 hours, and before I go to bed, I will just turn the heating pad off and leave the crockpot in my cooler (I have a soft sided cooler in which I usually sit my crockpot covered in a wool blanket to maintain the temp)

I have a dd that loves chunks of fruit in her yogurt and I have one that can't stand the texture of the chunks but loves the fruity taste so I have actually intended on keeping the fruit frozen but I was going to run them through a blender in different cycles to keep the fruit in small pieces for my dd who loves it and to puree the fruit with part of the yogurt for my oldest dd who doesn't like chunks or pieces. Then I'll store them in different containers :)

Ok going out to the shed to get the cooler and to wash it in warm water and them place crockpot in it overnight..

Going to freeze in the meantime....LOL! It's cold out.

Woke up this morning to....

YOGURT!!

My only first issues were the lack of thickness...My 23 month old can't eat it because it's just not thick enough to stay on the spoon and runs all down the front of him. However it's GOOD!!

So I read that I can add some dry milk to it but I don't like the overall taste when I added that to a small amount so I didn't do that anymore...then I read I can add a packet of unflavored gelatin to it...if I do that how long will it take once mixed in to sit and thicken a little?

THANKS btw!!

The powdered milk should go in before the high-temp cooking step, not into the finished yogurt. Another way to make yogurt thicker is to "drip" it through thin fabric like a flour sack towel - it's letting the whey drip out. BTW the whey has live cultures in it and can be used to make probiotic smoothies and other things. The dripping step is last, after it has chilled and set.

The longer and hotter the milk stays at the high temp cooking phase, the more the casein and whey will separate from each other and the more whey will drip out, leaving firmer yogurt. Overcooking this phase will result in homemade probiotic cream cheese ! Getting it just right will make something like Chobani, but for much less money.